Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2002, 03:18 AM   #1
shirji

My honda civic

Hey guys,

I have a 94 honda civic couple. I'm thinking about geting 17's with 205/40 v rated tires (maybe z). How much shoudl I lower it?
Benefits? Anything I should watch for?

I'm thinking of getting the Eibech pro kit, or maybe sports line. Is a 1.3" drop enough to make it look good? I don't race with it, just street use.

THanks
Old 04-20-2002, 10:56 AM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

New shocks wouldnt be a bad idea either.. Since they could probably stand to be replaced anyhow. Eibach springs are always a decent choice.

Make sure you get the correct offset or your wheels will rub.. Try to stay at about +43 or +45..
Old 04-20-2002, 02:33 PM   #3
shirji

Eibach is a decent choice? What else? H&R? Tanabe?

Im planning on getting the Motegi MR7's or maybe those EVO, they both have an offset of 40mm. Will that be ok?

ANd Im also having trouble picking what rubber to use. . .I want all season, and ones that will last fairly long. (Yokohama Avid? Pirelli p7000 supersport? Dunlop?)
Old 04-20-2002, 04:50 PM   #4
slowEJ6

40mm is not ok. for a 17" you need +42 at least.

www.tirerack.com has a comparion thing you can do with tires. check it out.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 10:25 PM   #5
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

well that would be a nice setup...the 1.3-5 drop would be nice. In addition to the drop shocks/struts would help you achieve a smoother ride over all..

Hope thid might help and good luck on the purchase...
Old 04-20-2002, 10:33 PM   #6
shirji

I'm kinda new to this whole wheel/rims set-up. But most of the 17" wheels that I see have about 40 offset, I wasn't too sure whether you were talking about the wheels with atleast 42 mm or the rubber? WHich one?

thanks
Old 04-21-2002, 10:09 AM   #7
97CivicFerio

Pro-kit springs are great for daily driving. And they will not require a camber kit, which the Sportlines would. Good luck with your decision.
Old 04-21-2002, 07:53 PM   #8
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by shirji
I'm kinda new to this whole wheel/rims set-up. But most of the 17" wheels that I see have about 40 offset, I wasn't too sure whether you were talking about the wheels with atleast 42 mm or the rubber? WHich one?

thanks
tires dont have offsets, wheels do. you need at least a +42mm offset if you dont want to rub.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 10:39 AM   #9
PabloHoney

Don't get springs. If you are gonna drop your car, do it the right way and get a coil-over kit. You can get the springs alone for 300 from Ground-Control. They are adjustable and will accept any decent shock made. To match them, a good, inexpensive set of shocks are KYB AGX's. $92/shock. So you are looking at 700 overall after shipping and whatnot. Good price for a GREAT feeling ride. As for wheels, get the proper offset, and if you want good tires that last long, take a look at www.tirerack.com and see what you like, there are a lot of 205/40/17 to choose from.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:58 AM   #10
shirji

ON your civic you have the motegi's right? THey only have a 40 offset. DOes your car rub?

ANd when does it rub?

Thanks
Old 04-22-2002, 12:29 PM   #11
Mushroom

Quote:
Originally posted by PabloHoney
Don't get springs. If you are gonna drop your car, do it the right way and get a coil-over kit.

I don't see what's so bad about springs, unless you're racing and want to run different heights @ track vs street. Why spend more for coilovers? Is the ride quality that much different than just using good springs & shocks?
Old 04-22-2002, 01:29 PM   #12
PabloHoney

Quote:
Originally posted by shirji
ON your civic you have the motegi's right? THey only have a 40 offset. DOes your car rub?

ANd when does it rub?

Thanks

I have the MR7's, but in 16's cuz I didn't want to get 17's with this motor. They don't rub....ever. Not once.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom

I don't see what's so bad about springs, unless you're racing and want to run different heights @ track vs street. Why spend more for coilovers? Is the ride quality that much different than just using good springs & shocks?

That's just it, get an adjustable ride height for not much more money. Why pay for springs with ONE height that you are stuck with. Hell, you don't even know for sure what height your car will be at for sure, unless someone else with the same car has the same springs. Most are rated like 1.3" - 1.7" drop or whatever. Just my opinion I guess, but why not pay a little extra for exactness and adjustability.
Old 04-23-2002, 12:02 PM   #13
2000NOSEX

About the lowering piece!!

I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX which I just had a lot of mods done to and I dropped it just the righ amount to fit close enough to my 17's. It looks awesome.....I went 3" in back and 2 and 3/4 up front due to the engine weight which will make your car lower up front anyway
Old 04-24-2002, 08:54 PM   #14
Quist

Re: About the lowering piece!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 2000NOSEX
I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX which I just had a lot of mods done to and I dropped it just the righ amount to fit close enough to my 17's. It looks awesome.....I went 3" in back and 2 and 3/4 up front due to the engine weight which will make your car lower up front anyway

Do you have any problems with hitting hard bumps and rubbing your splash guard, I have the same car and I sometimes hit my splash guard in the back???
Old 04-25-2002, 01:28 AM   #15
PabloHoney

3 inches is a lot to drop your car. If you are looking for a performance increase, riding on bumpstops isn't gonna help your cornering ability any. In fact it will just hurt it. Having you springs bottom out, and in essence giving you an infinite spring rate is very very bad. You need suspension travel. You may not need much with very stiff springs but you need some. Think about it this way: your car has to give somewhere. If the suspension doesn't give, the tires will, and when that happens, your car tends to spin, which doesn't get you around a corner any faster
Old 07-15-2002, 05:07 PM   #16
2000civicexcoupe

post pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!