::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Body Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2002, 11:46 AM   #1
Wallythecat

Removing Dealer Insignias (Part II)

I tried removing the annoying dealer insignia thing the other night and it didn't go over too well.

I tried the fishing line trick and that worked pretty well. Most of it broke off as it was separating from the adhesive.

Like an IDIOT, I started in with a razor blade and had enough sense to quit before I did any real damage. I ended up using this stuff called Goo-Gone and a credit card. That worked pretty well until I got pretty close to the surface of the car and then it didn't seem to want to go any further... The car is a 95 civic and it's the original dealer's insignia, which means it's been fused to the car for about 7 years!

I 'd read quite a bit about the hairdryer thing, but I live in an apartment complex and:

A) I'm afraid to admit to my neighbors I own a hairdryer.

B) I'd feel like an idiot standing outside in the parking lot, blowdrying my car.

C) I don't have an extension cord that's long enough.

So, what actually happens when you heat up the adhesive? Does it just scrape off or just loosen up? If it's worth it, I'll buy a longer extension cord...

Next problem, in the process of getting this damn thing off, I did manage to nick my trunk a little and there's these little faint scrathes/scrapes but just on the surface. Anyone have any good good tips on how to get those out (either buffing or...)

BTW, sorry for the stupid questions. I'm half a moron when it comes to cars, but I hope to be a full fledged one very soon.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 03-18-2002, 11:55 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

so what if the neigbors find out you have a hairdryer ? if u are not comfy with it then just get a heat gun ? don't you have a garage or a spot close to the washing room so you can get electricity from there ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 04:35 PM   #3
4jacks

Dude... You don't Own a Hair Dryer, Your Simply borrowing one from your Sister !!!

And yes.. you will need to use the hair dryer to get off the seven year old goop.... Try AFTA also... great stuff...

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 06:42 PM   #4
slowEJ6

hairdryer works best....it heats up the adhesive so you can peel it off, then just buff off the residue left behind or use goo gone and wipe it down....just be sure to wash it with water afterwards so no damage is done to the paint.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 11:57 PM   #5
Jaguar

Now what you need to do to the minor scratches you done to your car is either a couple of things. Buff it by hand or a power buffer. Depending on what color the car is I would use rubbing compound. Go to an auto parts store and buy it from there. Usually there is someone that can help you pick out the best compound. I would say go in through the day before 5 and catch someone there that knows what they are talking about. There is three different types of rubbing compound. Light, medium, and heavy grit. Just depending on which color you have. Also there are some of those annoying touch up paints that aren't worth a crap but they do the job. You may also try clay bar usually purchased at an auto parts store. Warning they aren't that cheap but if you remember where you put the stuff for storage you can use it later down the road. And if you get the clay bar and you drop it on the ground throw it away cuz it will pick up little specs of dirt and ruin your finish even more. Good luck

P.S.> I work at an Auto Parts store that is why I know they have it. And I also do detail work and painting so I sometimes get a first hand idea on these things. Later
Old 04-01-2002, 11:07 PM   #6
midjjj

Re: Removing Dealer Insignias (Part II)

Quote:
B) I'd feel like an idiot standing outside in the parking lot, blowdrying my car.

LOL, that was me this weekend! I had the trunk off, the bumpers off, all my manly tools out and even a few beers on the side....
and I was blowdrying my car. I got a few comments/laughs about it, but played it off as a "detailing" trick

O well, it got the decal off, and I got my pride bruised when my fiancee came out and yelled at me for using her hairdryer on something as silly as a car. Good luck!