::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2002, 11:42 PM   #1
98civicEX

Turbo off a Blown motor, need advice

If you're running turbo and you blow your motor, what are the odds that you've messed up or ruined the turbo as well. i know that this is a broad question to ask but i need some type of reassurance. I'm about to buy a kit and the seller is very honest saying he blew his motor, and he's not sure if the turbo works or not...but he believes it does. what are the odds that the turbo has gone bad...thanks for any and all responses.....
Old 01-22-2002, 08:34 AM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I would have to think that aslong as the turbo didnt suck anything up (like pieces of the motor) then it blew, and still got oil I would think id be ok. Id take a good look at it first to make sure you dont see any physical damage to the inside of the turbo.
Old 01-22-2002, 11:44 AM   #3
98civicEX

what am i looking for when i inspect the turbo?
Old 01-23-2002, 04:46 AM   #4
turbod97ex

If you are buying a setup that is worth $1,000 in good shape and you don't know the condition of the turbo itself, I would make an offer of what the setup is worth, less the cost of a new or rebuilt turbo. It has some value but what if you buy it for a grand and the turbo is bad and can't be rebuilt, you would be hurting. If you or he can't tell the condition of it, you should assume the worst.

You could see if the turbine spins freely and reasonably determine that the turbo could be rebuilt which is what you might or should do depending on how long the kit has been on the car or for just piece of mind since he toasted his engine and who knows what might be going through the oil lines. Make sense?
Steve