Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Euthanasia, hypocracy, and candy asses

I know a lot of people at least saw that whole bullshit with Terri Shiavo. How could you not? The media practically slammed you in the face with it. That got me thinking about a lot of things, though this isn't specifically about her. She's been shuffled off this mortal coil so it's sort of a dead issue (I swear, no pun intended). There are a few things that bother me about how it all played out, though.

1. Method of death among invalids. Sure, maybe in her case she was pretty much brain dead. But this happens to tons of people every year. Why this particular case got so much attention is beyond me other than the fact that it's a good chance for politicians to ramp up emotions amongst their constituency. But for all of this country's bullshit rhetoric about banning cruel and unusual punishment, we sure don't back it up much. I mean, if a court or family relegates a person to death, why in the name of fuck would you starve them? Convicted criminals and even your pets die peaceful deaths with the assistance of drugs...why would you afford an invalid any less compassion? I think it's because a lot of people fill the bill of a suck ass pussy to be all for letting someone die in a dignified fashion, but are too much of a coward to push the plunger themselves. Look...if you've got the balls to say someone should die, have the balls to throw the switch.

2. Hypocrites. I've noticed a fair number of these people protesting (ok...almost all of them) are christian conservatives. Here's what gets me. All of these people depose gay marriage because it would (in their minds) tarnish the sanctity of marriage. Ok...fair enough. But then why would they fight so hard to have a spouse's marital privilege revoked even though they're pretty clear under the state's next of kin statutes? Marriage is sacred...right? I mean...I think it's pretty clear that the husband was a complete and utter douche bag, but as the husband he trumps the family under next of kin statutes. So...we're all against violating the sanctity of marriage...unless it conflicts with our opinion on whether or not someone should be allowed to die? We Amerikans sure know how to spin a web of shit, don't we?

3. Candy asses. Seriously...are all of those people out there protesting so useless that they can get so involved in something that's really none of their business or concern? Then came the politicians and courts...like they had any business in the matter whatsoever. I feel for that girl's family...I honestly do. But their daughter as they knew her died years ago. You can't go around pushing your skewed perspective of ethics on a court (in this case seemingly dozens of times) for a decision. And then the governor gets involved? What the fuck? That asshole should never have opened his mouth in the first place since he has absolutely no power to do anything. Perhaps these people should all find a slightly deeper meaning in their lives. It's one thing to have an opinion on such a subject...it's wholely another to paint a big sign and stand outside a building for hours on end. Get a job...find a hobby...do something.

Studies show that 1 in 5 charge nurses have admitted to euthanizing elderly patients or patients who showed no signs of recovery. So I suppose the moral of the story is to let everyone around you...hell...even strangers...know exactly what you want in case something goes wrong. Maybe you can avoid all of the bullshit and nonsense that triggered all of this in the first place.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:15 PM   #2
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

^ i agree 100% with what your saying.
RxGoaT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #3
Kyle
elyK

YEah...i got upset by he fact that they just starved her to death after all those years of keeping her alive. I'm sure that was hard enough for her. I don't really know if she had the concept of what was going on around her while they were keeping her alive but if she did how could you do such a thing to a person.
I heard that they kept her alive for 15 years. I didn't read up on that to find out if it was true, but if so that is just crazy. They should have killed her 15 years ago. Fuck her stupid ass parents for not seeing the truth that she was gone and there was nothing that they could do. And fuck all the bullshit christians who fought to keep her alive and painful.

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Well...this really isn't about that girl in particular, rather just a summation of thoughts I've had arising from the whole mess of bullshit. But yeah...she was alive for 15 years. I guess nobody will ever really know how grave her condition was since her husband wouldn't allow and speech of physical therapy. Either way the end result was pretty clear. Whether or not someone wants to be kept alive in such a way is up to them. I'm just annoyed with all of the hooplah that arose around it and how some people showed what true morons they were because of it.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
Kyle
elyK

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
Either way the end result was pretty clear. Whether or not someone wants to be kept alive in such a way is up to them. I'm just annoyed with all of the hooplah that arose around it and how some people showed what true morons they were because of it.

Yeah, i know the end result was going to be the same(as it always is) but I just don't like the way they handled it, but I guess thats just my opinion of the whole thing. And it did suprise me how many BS religious groups came forth making demands. It really just seemed like everyone had there hand in the cookie jar.
Man, i really wish i was better at expressing myself in writing...I'm more of a face to face discussion kind of guy.

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote