::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2004, 05:27 PM   #1
Otakuguy

yech....

So Billi Jo(My Girl) and I decide to go to the Anime Club up here at Kirkwood Community College. Sounds fun! haven't been in an anime club for quite a while.

Too bad I was sorely dissappointed with what I encountered.

Anime fans of the worst caliber...the ones that are horribly out of shape, embrace ANYTHING that's japanese, and love LARP(Live Action Role Playing for those that don't know...basically you create "characters" and act them out in a D&D type game...cept with improv acting as the main course*GAY*) like it's the second coming of Jesus. it bugs the hell out of me when people get off on something so much they talk in character when they're not in a LARP session(Trust me..I've seen it happen...it's weird as hell.)...that;s just fucked up. Also...why no game room at anime iowa this year...LARP instead???WTF???!!!! Glad I'm not going!)

I was seriously uncomfortable half the time in there. The amount of nerdiness in the air almost made me want to leave...mainly because these stupid fat girls wouldn;t shut up and had to make stupid MST3K comments when I was trying to enjoy the pretty decent anime we were watching.(Paranoia Agent a.k.a Moso Dairinin, Petshop of Horrors, and Puchi Puri Yucie)

I realize that I myself am an Anime fan, as are most of my other friends. However, I think our vision of anime is much broader...such as we have anime we don't like, and anime we do like. These people OBVIOUSLY wouldn't care what we were watching as long as it was a product of Japan. It makes me feel uncomfortable about myself being a fan. (i.e. I was thinking to myself "god, was I like this when I was younger???)

I also realize that some of my friends might think it;s really shallow of me to percieve people in such a manner based on their hobbies...but the way these people were acting it was almost like an unhealthy habit...Like they never get out and exercise and spend their time anywhere except a computer/television screen. I realize I don't really exercise or work out either(although I plan on whoring the on-campus fitness center here pretty soon ^_^)...But at least I get out and walk every now and then...Plus I autocross, which sorta counts as an outdoor activity.

I mean seriously...Anime fandom has gotten way out of hand lately...It went from a small underground thing to something way more popular than it should have been(notice how much anime and manga has flooded best buy, waldenbooks, and other stores?)

I'm so dissappointed in the way things went today that I don't know if I'll go back...prolly the only reason that I would is for exposure to possible decent Anime...I just don;t know if I can put up with Nerd Babble for hours on end. Anime fans can be way more refined than this. YOWZA!
Old 09-14-2004, 10:59 PM   #2
Grip72

i read ANime and then stopped
Grip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:45 PM   #3
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Recent studies show that 99.998% of all anime is complete crap. I seriously can't stand that shit. And any anime club is probably going to be a lot like that. I mean, take your username. A lot of anime guys will call themselves "otaku" not knowing that the principal meaning of the word in japanese means "geek" or "nerd". The secondary meaning is "enthusiast". There's actually a big rant on Maddox about the higherarchy of geeks with a great description of the anime geek. I also like how he points out that these guys/girls wear japanese characters on their shirts that mean things like "happiness" or "good fortune" because if they had it printed on there in english people would probably kick their asses. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying everyone who's into anime is a total fuckwad, it's just that those people seem to make up a big portion of the anime fans out there.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:49 PM   #4
mylittlecivic

its hard to find good stuff anymore. I notice alot of people makin anime for kids now or trying:o

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 12:23 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

seriously dude, i think japanimation sucks

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 01:04 AM   #6
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

i stopped liking anime after it blew up and went maintstream with gay shows like pokemon...
RxGoaT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:30 AM   #7
CD5Passion

its all about the movies like Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away course I'm sure I'll here otherwise I'm sure, but I thought these two were a fine example of what Anime is all about. Also movies Rurouni Kenshin OAV1 and OAV2 (SamuraiX if you were to americanized/rape it) were udderly amazing. And the series Serial Expirment LAIN was spectacular...but outside those not much else has impressed much upon me. Trigun made me wanna stab myself repeatedly thats for sure

Luckily the "anime nerds" I did meet were pretty much normal and had a grip on reality and acted normal for the most part.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:03 AM   #8
Otakuguy

I understand what everyone is thinkin...and I feel the same way. It's because of people like that that I feel ashamed to even like anime. (I know, my username is kinda loser-ish...I just use it loosely...like a joke, if you will. I'm not that bad of a nerd.)
It just pisses me off how much of a loser some people can be.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:12 AM   #9
Otakuguy

Another thing I remembered that GT sorta pointed out...is how much these nerds love to "integrate" Japanese into their sentences. (i.e. That's so Kawaii!*cute* or You're a baka!*idiot, jerk*) That, I think. Is even worse than the anime obsession. I, for one, studied Japanese for all 4 years of High school, and 1 year of college. I've also been to Japan twice on an exchange trip. So I have a fairly good understanding of the language(Even though I'm getting a little rusty...hehe)
And these nerds think it's so funny/cool to talk like this...I mean seriously, how much nerdier can someone get? I don't even want to go a convention to sell my art or enjoy anime just because I'd have to put up with that shit.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:14 AM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

*puts the visor sideways and get out a camcorder without a battery*

'cause it's jdm yo. JDM think it's cool yo.

seriously all the japanese and JDM thing start to piss me off now. if you wanna be japanese go to Japan, and stop trashing the japanese culture.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:54 AM   #11
Otakuguy

EXACTLY.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:12 AM   #12
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Theres an anime club at my school. They post fliers up in every building, at every corner, and every bathroom. Its annoying.
My sister went to one of those anime-con things once and took all these pictures of people dressed up in costumes. Made me think of a star trek convension for cartoon fanatics.

I watch anime...but I distinguish between good and bad. I got sucked into the whole adult swim thing, on cartoon network, but that doesnt mean I watch all of the anime shows they put on.

I think its reasons like those (the crazy "dorky" people) that keeps the mild anime fan away. I sure would go to one of those anime-fests because of it. I just want to walk around, look at stuff here and there and be left alone.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:53 PM   #13
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
seriously all the japanese and JDM thing start to piss me off now. if you wanna be japanese go to Japan, and stop trashing the japanese culture.

That's funny...because most of Japan's modern culture is a cut-and-paste of other cultures with not a lot of room for old school Japanese customs. I agree...simply because it's from Japan doesn't mean it's cool. But hell, their culture is so much like ours it's sad...mostly because they integrated it into their lives.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 09-16-2004, 04:01 PM   #14
CD5Passion

its all about the oldschool japanese cultures, japan should go back to the feudal days , im just kiddin......or am I?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:12 PM   #15
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Shardsofxapril
its all about the oldschool japanese cultures, japan should go back to the feudal days , im just kiddin......or am I?

That'd be wicked cool. Runnin around like a Rounin fuckin up everybody's christmas. And hey...if the can cast a white guy in "The Last Samurai", then I can surely mess up some people. Long live silly dresses and razor sharp swords! And don't worry Darin...there were bands of gay samurai, too.

Old 09-16-2004, 07:25 PM   #16
CD5Passion

oh hell no
Old 09-16-2004, 08:03 PM   #17
Otakuguy

hahaha
Old 09-16-2004, 11:35 PM   #18
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
Recent studies show that 99.998% of all anime is complete crap. I seriously can't stand that shit.

Recent studies show that I agree with you.
Shit's garbage man. I don't know what the big deal is.
A few of my friends got into it...I got drunk instead. I still feel I learned more getting drunk, then they did watching that crap.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote