::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2004, 07:30 PM   #1
dox1

flooded plugs?

My friends 91 accord broke down while he was driving it down the street, he says the car just cutt off on him. I tried to go and jump start it but it wouldnt start so im assuming the battery/alternator is good. But when i went to take out the plug wire from the engine it was covered in a pool of oil. My question is this the condition called "flooded plugs" if so can i just stick some new plugs in there and be good to go or do i have to replace the rubber seals that keep oil from going into the plugs.

PS. I also changed out the distributor cap and rotor.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:56 PM   #2
blind34_1

so, when you try to start it what happens? Does it crank but no start, or just a click, or what?

I would suggest checking the timing belt and the rotor set screw (I've had similar problems with both), but if you say you've got "pools of oil" on your plugs, then I'm going to pass this one off to someone else.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:17 AM   #3
F22B2

every Accord has that problem..the sh!t happen to me so I know..I took it to the shop and they fixed it right up.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:45 AM   #4
dox1

What is the rotor set screw? can you post a picture?? I havent thought of the timing belt, theyve owned the car for 4 years and probally havent changed it.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:47 AM   #5
dox1

Oh yeah, when i crank the car the starter turns, the motor turns, but nothing happens. I can hear the fuel pump click when the key is in the ignition.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:25 AM   #6
johnriley
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by F22B2
every Accord has that problem..the sh!t happen to me so I know..I took it to the shop and they fixed it right up.

What did they replace to fix? I had my valve cover gasket replaced once and that didn't fix it.

I just changed my spark plugs this weekend and my 2nd and 3rd spark plug were soaked as always but my car runs alot better with new plugs in.
johnriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:01 PM   #7
blind34_1

Quote:
Originally posted by dox1
What is the rotor set screw? can you post a picture?? I havent thought of the timing belt, theyve owned the car for 4 years and probally havent changed it.

the rotor set screw is (I'm assuming) what holds the ignition rotor onto...whatever it holds onto (my mechanic did it, i was frustrated). While I was driving a long stretch of highway, that screw worked itself out, and they never found it. My car died, and was acting much like what happens when a timing belt breaks, except that every now and then it would start and run very badly for a few seconds.

I would seriously take a look at the timing belt, and if its broken, check all your valves, too.

as for a picture, I honestly don't know what it looks like, but I'm fairley sure it would be in this picture. Seek and Find time! :

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...1%29+%28TEC%29
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:00 PM   #8
26REDTRED

WHAT was the cause of the 2 an 3rd plug with oil

what was the cause with 2nd an 3rd plugs having oil, i have the same problem , mechanic i work with told me valve guide seals.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:11 PM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

it is the gaskets between the head and the rocker arm assembly that are going bad. you are looking at about $10 in parts and about 3-4 hours of labor if a pro does it.

and a lot of the 90-92 accords had a problem called sudden death where the distributor bearing would fail during driving, again you are looking at around $250 in parts and about 1 hr of labor. i don't know about the 90-91 accords, but the 92's don't have a rotor set screw. the rotor is simply pushed in and has some internal clamps holding it. When the bearing fails there are the exact symptoms as blind34_1 decribed above, because of the excessive play

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote