Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2004, 06:20 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

10 Asian films you must see

Ok...so for the last couple months I;ve been on this huge kick of Asian movies. When I say "Asian", I mean movies from Japan, China, and Hong Kong (I know Hong Kong is in China, but it's got it's own little movie industry going. So here's my top 10 pics for movies that will make you realize (even moreso) that Hollywood can suck your ass dry.

1. Battle Royale. The tagline for this movie was "could you kill your best friend?" and it actually makes you wonder if you could. It's a film about forty two 14 or 15 year olds who are put on a deserted island and forced to kill each other within a 3 day period to see who is worthy of rejoinging society. This film was completely trashed by the christian right when it came out so you know it's gotta be good. Buy it before some douche bag politicians ban it.

2. Battle Roayle II: Requiem. A sequel to the first, but the winners of the first game (and subsequent games) have formed an organization targeting adults worldwide. Also a bit more existential than the first. Both of these movies combined make probably the best 2 films I've seen in my entire life.

3. Ichi: The Killer. This is just an insane horror/crime/drama flick that is as disturbing as it is beautiful. Directed by a completely batshit insane filmmaker, Takashi Miike. This is honestly one of the most disturbing films I have ever had the pleasure of watching.

4. Hero. Jet Li in a sort of "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" epic set in fuedal China. This is probably the most visually intense move I've ever seen and would easily be in my top 10 of all times. Suck on that Crouching Tiger. I recently saw a U.S. trailor for this that started with "Quentin Tarantino Presents". Odd...he had absolutely nothing to do with the film. By my own logic, I will present him with my cock so he may commence sucking it for putting his worthless name on such an indescribably incredible film.

5. The Untold Story. An insane film about a crazy guy who just so happens to be a serial killer and the stupendously retarded cops who try to catch him. Serious blood and gore abound, so it's not for the faint of heart.

6. Dead Or Alive. This is part 1 of a 3 part series by (again) Takashi Miike and it follows the story of a cop vs. Yakuza sort of theme.

7. China Mafia Wars. Wow...another Takashi Miike film (are you starting to get the feeling that he's the best director ever? If not...you suck.). This film perplexed me to no end. China Mafia Wars set in Taiwan? Huh? But all of the crazy gore aside (you'll be hard pressed to find a movie made by Takashi that doesn't involve some almost comical gore), it really is a great film.

8. Shaolin Soccer. No...this one isn't violent, although that probably would've made it better. It's a story of a group of brothers who are trained Shaolin monks down on their luck so they deicde to use their insane skills to enter a soccer tournament to bring the art of kung fu to the masses. It's seriouisly hilarious...plus the version I have has such horrible subtitles it made it all the more amusing.

9. Shaolin Temple. What good would an Asian movie film list be without mega kung fu action? This was Jet Li's first movie and it is credited with starting the kung fu movie boom of the 80's.

10. Suicide Club a.k.a. Suicide Circle. What's not to love about a movie that opens with 50-something school aged girls throwing themselves in front of a rush hour subway train? It's a great mystery/horror film that, of course, has crazy good gore in it (I'm sorry...I like most of my films bloody. It's a hold over from my horror film days).

So now you know. I would dare Hollywood to make just one of these films (besides "Hero" which Tarantino has seen in his finite wisdom to bring to the states...probably in a dubber version at that...cocksucker. I bought the actual DVD online for $4 plus shipping. Let's see a movie theater beat that price.). That's what makes Asian cinema so great. You'll hardly ever see a Hollywood copy (with the exception of "The Ring" a.k.a. "Ringu" and the upcoming sequel that licked my nuts as even the Asian version "Ringu 2". There's also a U.S. version of a movie called "The Eye" set to come out which will almost surely fellate me as a U.S. copy) of any of these movies because they just have too much badassity for Hollywood to handle. Oh...and Hollywood cares what right wing fucks have to say for some reason. Yeah...we'll put out a film about Jesus getting his ass handed to him on a plate by Romans, but "god" forbid we put out a film where a cop goes crazy and brutally mureders his antagonists (and by brutally I'm talkin blood sprinkler here). Fuck Hollywood and it's hipocracy...give me Asian cinema any day.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 11:55 PM   #2
nonovurbizniz

Dude...

How about 7 samurai, or Fist of Legend... Probobly the best kung fu movie EVER... 7 samuraii is a little overrated... if you like old movies like casablanca you'd probobly like it... but it's slow and black/white...

I think just about every Jet Li movie made in China owns... I was on a SERIOUS asian movie kick a while back.. but they were almost all Jet Li kung fu movies... he ROCKS.

Oh and if you're into Kung Fu... the chinese gov. released a movie all about Kung Fu to use as a tourist info video... It has a short clip of jet li at age 8 OWNING the hell out of the national championships for long staff... it was SICK he was easily twice as fast as ANY other kid...
Old 06-21-2004, 01:22 AM   #3
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Yeah...I thought about including some more kung fu flicks...mostly Jet Li. Then I realized that most of the kung fu flicks I've seen are all based on a revenge motif and contain a lot of the same stuff. Other noteable Li movies include:

Fist Of Legend (one of the most badass kung fu films ever)
The Legend Of Fong Sai Yuk trilogy
The Enforcer
The Evil Cult (soooooo woth the watch purely for it's bizzare nature and wicked kung fu)
Any of the Shaolin Temple movies (1-3)
Invincible shaolin

There are more...but those are probably the best. I'm pretty wary of watching his American market movies, though. Seven Samurai was pretty good...but then I realized it was destroyed when Hollywood ripped it off, gave it a western feel, and called it "The Magnificent Seven". I never did understand people's obssession with Akira Kurosawa. He's good...but not as good as a lot of people would have you believe in my opinion. For more movies that will rock your face off, check out my blog (click on the "www" at the bottom of the post). Mostly just a bunch of movie reviews and mostly Asian films.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 06-30-2004, 11:36 PM   #4
nonovurbizniz

Yeah when I was a member of netflix I spent the first 5 months renting NOTHING but jet li movies...

The legend series are good but Fist of Legend is IMO THE BEST KUNG FU MOVIE EVER...

I was ranting about it left and right the first time I saw it in boston... then I picked up a copy of the free paper there and the movie section reviewed it... the first line of the review was... "possibly the best kung fu movie ever made"...

I was like SEE SEE... it's the SHIT...

"Chenzen from Jangwoo?..."

"The best."
Old 06-30-2004, 11:40 PM   #5
a96710

I'm gonna have to check some of these out...you guys ever heard or seen a movie called "A Touch Of Zen" or something like that? I heard it was good.
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:30 AM   #6
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by a96710
I'm gonna have to check some of these out...you guys ever heard or seen a movie called "A Touch Of Zen" or something like that? I heard it was good.

Sounds decent if you go by the imdb review...http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064451/

Old 07-01-2004, 07:55 PM   #7
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by a96710

I have it... that shit is weak, but the video quality is great... action is not enough.... it's crap in my book...

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote