::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2004, 12:25 AM   #1
F22B2

Car Problem?

well..i have a 97 accord lx..automatic..somehow ever since I installed my DC Sports header..the car's acceleration seems to be weaker..I have to floor the gas pedal in other to get a burst of speed. Usually..i dont have to step on the gas pedal that hard..It might be because I have a messed up spark plug and wire (one of my spark plug wire is loose...so I have to push it back in place) the car runs fine though..just that the acceleration seem very very slow..not normal. I also have an Injen CAI with K&N filter...it might be the air that it sucked in..cause on humid/hot days..the car would accelerate slower..also I often shift from D4 to D3 in normal driving..i dunno if that's also the cause of the problem..So what you guys think?
Old 02-20-2004, 10:37 AM   #2
Phoreum

I think you need a 5-spd
Old 02-20-2004, 08:41 PM   #3
Honda530

fix the spark plug problem.
Also when you get a header you loose low end tq but gain mid and high power. Plus youve got the heavy automatic syndrome like me. "My Suggestion is for you to start drinking heavily." quote from bluto from animal house.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:45 AM   #4
F22B2

nope..the acceleration goes dead at 3k ~ 60 mph
Old 02-21-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
AkimboStylee

1. fix spark plug,

have you installed an intake? have you installed an exhaust system yet. because i had the same problem, i had much air going into the engine, and because of stock exhaust not enough was getting out, couldn't get past 75 mph
Old 02-21-2004, 11:29 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well fix the ignition system first. it can be due to the plug wires, plugs cap and rotor (very weak on hondas) and the more rpms you have, the more current needs to go thru the wires. another thing is that the ecu needs to adapt itself for the new mods. it usually requires about 30 to 50 starts to be fully remmaped. hope this helps

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 04:17 PM   #7
F22B2

Thanks a lot guys for the reply...I went out and bought a new air filter today..i bought a Shogun Racing 3" air filter..and it did help a bit..my K&N air filter that came with the Injen intake was worn out i guess (been 2 years). I went to this one shop and they told me that I should replace my timing belt first before doing anything else..and he said I might need a major tune up since my car is like 115K miles. He said I should go run a diagnostic test at Pep Boys too..but I say that's a waste of money since I'm going to replace all the old stuff anyway.

Thinking of getting some aftermarket: Listed in order of priority.

1. NGK Spark Plug/Nology Hotwires/Distributor
2. Fuel Regulator/Fuel Rail/Fuel Filter (all from AEM)
3. 5Zigen Cat-back
4. AEM Pulleys
5. Better Brakes
6. Rims and Tires

What you think I should do first?
Old 02-22-2004, 08:37 PM   #8
blind34_1

you might also check your oxygen sensor. I'm not sure of its location on your car, but on mine it sits right at the end of the exhaust manifold. When you disconnected and reconnected you could have damaged it. if you touch the tip of it you basically destroy it. you might want to explore that possibility.

also, the comment about the ecu needing to be reset...DO IT. Some of the weirdest stuff can be fixed by doing that. My g/f's car kept having a dead battery, so we replaced it, and that week she noticed a severe drop in fuel efficiency. We troubleshot it all the way back to the car losing charge, so I reset the ecu...worked fine after that.

BTW: to reset ecu, I do this:

unplug your negative battery terminal.
leave it for about 15-20 minutes.
reconnect it.
be sure all accessories and other car systems are off (stereo, AC, heater, etc.)
start your car, and touch nothing (don't rev it up, or you have to start over)
leave your car to run for about 20 min.
turn it off.
turn it on and go do whatever. that should reset it.

the times i say to wait are probably a little longer than you have to, but its better to wait more and be sure.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 08:41 PM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

on mine the exu resets after 1 hr. i tried 30 minutes and the codes were still there

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:52 PM   #10
F22B2

well..did what was told and everything seem to be working like it should..

-unplug the negative charge on the battery and waited for an hour

-plug it back in

-start up the car (didnt touch anything)

-waited for an hour

-turned off the car

-test drive

-got better acceleration

now I want to buy exhaust but dammit I need the money to replace my timing belt...that suck.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:48 PM   #11
F22B2

another question...

you know on accord..when you install a cold air intake...you have to remove the big old splash guards in order to take out the stock air duct?

well..after putting the filter into the intake..am I suppose to screw back that splash guards ? or remove it?

you know what I mean? like if you remove it..then you could see the air filter from outside..am I suppose to do that? is there any benefits? or will the splash guards help from getting the filter wet?
Old 02-23-2004, 05:06 PM   #12
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by krwheeler85
1. fix spark plug,

have you installed an intake? have you installed an exhaust system yet. because i had the same problem, i had much air going into the engine, and because of stock exhaust not enough was getting out, couldn't get past 75 mph

What? You got an intake before exhaust and couldn't go over 75? You had another problem then.

I had just an intake for a bit and could go as fast as I wanted (well, you know).

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 10:45 PM   #13
luvmy96honda

hey man

to remove your stock airbox remove that splash gaurd, you dont have to remove all those pushpins just enough to work your way in that compartment. Also turn your wheels all the way to the right easier to work with. Anyways your stock airbox has two bolts hoplding it in one youll see right away the other is on the other side alittle hard to get to but i cant remember how exactly i did it.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:48 PM   #14
luvmy96honda

also i forgot wit hthat last question put your splash gaurd back on, your filter will get enough air, ut when i hit the track I take out my left turn signal, and youll see your airfilter right there getting that air, thats performance! also I recomend getting a tyfoonmotorsports.com air filter the mesh on the cone on the top is very light and air can get through it alot faster.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:49 PM   #15
AkimboStylee

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
What? You got an intake before exhaust and couldn't go over 75? You had another problem then.

I had just an intake for a bit and could go as fast as I wanted (well, you know).

what do you think my problem is, i went to a few shops, and my exhaust is restricting the air flow, but every since i replace my 02 sensor, it has been acting up, so i think i got a bad 02 sensor, but anyway i dont have to worry about that in a few days, cause that is when i get my lx
AkimboStylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:38 PM   #16
F22B2

Quote:
and my exhaust is restricting the air flow, but every since i replace my 02 sensor, it has been acting up, so i think i got a bad 02 sensor

so which is the problem? the bad o2 sensor or the stock exhaust restricting air flow?

Quote:
I recomend getting a tyfoonmotorsports.com air filter the mesh on the cone on the top is very light and air can get through it alot faster.

which air filter are you talking about on that site?

and also..i just got my AEM underdrive pulleys intalled...and things seem to be getting worst...can't hardly get to 75-80 mph..
but i did felt a gain in the low end torque...it could be the lack of air coming out..since i have stock exhaust..or might be a bad o2 sensor.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:49 PM   #17
luvmy96honda

naw your stock exhaust should not be a problem, the filter i got is an 3in tyfoon airfilter, but thats going to fit on a shortram not a cold air because cold air intake normally have 2 1/4in piping, I have two shortrams custom together making it an 3in coldair intake. they are 23 bucks cant beatem for the price. you dont have aftermarket headers right? just stock header manifold? if so then theres no air being restricted. I think you have a spark plug problem.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:51 PM   #18
AkimboStylee

i dont know what is the matter, i dont care its not my car any more, just sold 1.5 hrs ago, and i got my 1st speedind ticket .5 hrs, got this accord is fast as hell!!!