::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2003, 08:19 AM   #1
VT1-R

D16Y8 Turbo problems

I just finished installing a custom bolt-on turbo system for my GF's Civic and I'm having some problems.

Specs are:
98' EK Civic coupe
D16y8 sohc vtec - stock
GT25 Turbo - internal wastegate
Custom manifold
Intercooler
450cc injectors
Full aftermarket EMS
AVC-R boost controller

I got the car dyno'ed and boost is only hitting 4psi. I've checked the wastgate and it's closing fully, boost controller is working fine (tested without the boost controller as well, same problem).
I've checked all my pipes, hoses, turbo, intercooler and everything is as tight as tight can be.

There is also a clicking sound at around 3500rpm... sounds like a solinoid or similar.

And one more, do you guys keep the vtec when boosting or you cut it?

Other then that, the car is producing 105kw to the wheels with 4psi which I'm more then happy with, but I know the turbo spools to 10psi standard.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-06-2003, 08:49 PM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

It sounds like you have a boost leak somewhere. If you are for sure that the wastegate is fully closed, then it has got to be a boost leak. How did you check the wastegate? What condition was the car on while you were checking the wastegate. remember that the car has to be in "gear" for the wastegate to be acurately checked. That clicking sound is a possible detonation. Have you adjusted your timing? let me know man.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 01:42 AM   #3
VT1-R

We were checking for the leak on the dyno...

The good news is that I have found the clicking noise... it's coming from the Apexi AVC-R boost solinoid. does anyone have this boost controller? If so, does it make a clicking noise?
Old 08-17-2003, 12:04 PM   #4
MrCLoWnY

is the turbo new????
Old 08-18-2003, 09:42 AM   #5
VT1-R

MrCLoWnY, yes the GT28 is new.

We have fixed our boost problem. We're leaking from the BOV. We completely sealed of the BOV and now getting 10psi standard.

But on fixing that problem, now we're getting too much water pressure when we're running peak boost for longer periods.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:41 AM   #6
MrCLoWnY

Good to hear that you got it fixed...
Are you running stock internals????
10psi sounds a lil iffy but hell with it if it runs good then happy boosting......
Old 08-30-2003, 08:05 AM   #7
VT1-R

MrCloWnY, yes the internals are still stock and it's been running on 12-13psi for the last few weeks now.

The only problem I'm having is too much water pressure. We took out the thermostat to make sure that it wasn't the problem and it isn't....

Oh well, looks like i'm gonna have to wait it I take the engine out and do a rebuild to see what the problem is...