::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2003, 03:21 PM   #1
Mischief(LTS)

Ractive intake quality??

was wondering what everyone thinks about Ractive intakes? thinking about picking one up but i dont know how reputable the company is or the quality of their products. does anyone have experience with them especially with the 7th generation civic? not really looking for HP gain (however little) just want something that sounds awesome
Old 06-14-2003, 03:54 PM   #2
silver

i think they make trash, but your obviously not worried about that so go ahead and get it. it's going to pretty much sound the same as anything else, the piping diameter would be the only difference with the sound, but it would be minimal.

i never understood the whole wanting a car to sound awesome even though it isn't fast. it's like having bad eyesight but wearing glasses that look good instead of helping your vision.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 04:37 PM   #3
Mischief(LTS)

"i never understood the whole wanting a car to sound awesome even though it isn't fast. it's like having bad eyesight but wearing glasses that look good instead of helping your vision."

lol, you dont know whats under my hood. i wouldnt go saying its slow
any intake will certainly increase horsepower, its just such a small amount of HP its not very significant. if it sounds good and improves airflow, why not
Old 06-14-2003, 08:39 PM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

eh ractive isnt known for quality parts...if I were you and goin for the whole show thing, you might as well sport the aem v2
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 09:42 PM   #5
Mischief(LTS)

yea i started thinking the same way, either that or a nice DC CAI. chrome :P
Old 06-14-2003, 10:07 PM   #6
sohc_vtec 2NR

not sure about the quality but for the whole show thing, i'd just get anything that screams "look at me"
Old 06-14-2003, 10:23 PM   #7
jonhenry15

If you know anything about cars I'd say just make your own...I've seemed to get the best numbers out of intakes that i made. It's a heck of a lot cheaper as well.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:21 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

heh the ractive intakes aren't even smog legal and you live in cali. we know how assed to cops are there. PM me

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 11:51 PM   #9
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Yep, AEM whore.

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 05:09 PM   #10
cashizslick

Re: Ractive intake quality??

Quote:
Originally posted by Mischief(LTS)
was wondering what everyone thinks about Ractive intakes? thinking about picking one up but i dont know how reputable the company is or the quality of their products. does anyone have experience with them especially with the 7th generation civic? not really looking for HP gain (however little) just want something that sounds awesome

I got one - its sick, plus the shield on the intake keeps stuff from hittin in when u open ur hood (like water).
Old 06-17-2003, 02:01 PM   #11
nonovurbizniz

^ you know water hitting your intake doesn't matter right?

for the poster...

I'd recomend an iceman because you can switch between cai and short ram. I have one and I'm very happy with it.. course I got it because it's the only one that comes in black... it looks better (and more stock) than stock... but I think they make them in colors.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:00 PM   #12
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
^ you know water hitting your intake doesn't matter right?

for the poster...

I'd recomend an iceman because you can switch between cai and short ram. I have one and I'm very happy with it.. course I got it because it's the only one that comes in black... it looks better (and more stock) than stock... but I think they make them in colors.

iceman's are j u n k - get the AEM CAI - it is definately the best deal for you if you need a full intake. Why didnt i get one? Cause i am switchin my motor.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:02 PM   #13
nonovurbizniz

how are iceman intakes JUNK????

or did you just read that somewhere...

Mine is great... I have NO complaints... aem is WAY overpriced and even if it is "better" that means a whole 1-2hp at best.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:31 PM   #14
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

1-2 hp on a civic is alot...

think of it this way...

2 horse power is a 2% gain on a d series...

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:
Anonymous: Yea but a car has 4 heads, so it's headers!

Me: Or.. you could say that a car has one head...
TonitrusEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 11:39 PM   #15
RavingCivic

i would have to AGREE with Pdiggity and SohcVtec2Nr, and ToniTrussen, i say go AEM and i say For SHow and something that SOundS Great!!! and Give BEST HP.. i say go AEM V2...that thang is BAD ASS...

way better hp numbers than even the AEM CAI..

and again the SOund from it is Beautiful i am told..

Dan
Old 06-18-2003, 12:09 PM   #16
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Originally posted by TonitrusEN
1-2 hp on a civic is alot...

think of it this way...

2 horse power is a 2% gain on a d series...

just because it's slow to start doesn't mean you have to accept 100 dollar/hp pricing... get nitrous.. or a turbo... spending an extra 100-200 dollars for 2hp is just plain stupid...

aem is a joke... paying for that thing just to say "I've got an aem intake" is about a stupid as you can get..

If you pick one up used for cheap then great... but buying it or the even gayer "v2" is just silly... that's just brand loyalty and trying to be a player...

it's also pretty lame imo that you have to CUT the thing if you want to install THEIR bypass valve... great design...

OH and for all those who did just that...
A. the chances of you EVER hitting a puddle deep enough to necesitate the bypass valve are 1 in a million
B. cutting the aem negates ALL the hp gain it has over most others...

the reason aem gets better numbers SOMETIMES... is because it is one solid tube... ie not much turbulence... the iceman is in 2 sections... the place the two meet creates turbulence...

The iceman intake is not junk... anyone who says it is has never had ANY experience with one and is talking out their butt.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:53 PM   #17
RavingCivic

i would still rather have AEM CAI than any other brand. call it Brank Loyalty but hey when the best works best WHY not stick with it???

and guess what, i have had that 1 in 1,000,000 happen several times. i live in VA and in case most of u dont know it rained here 45 of the last 60 days. and i have on several occasions driven through what i DIDNT know was a 1 1/2 foot puddel going around a curve, And where i live whenever it rains one curve floods almost 2 feet deep, and if a car is coming GUess what. U r gonna hit that damn puddle.

Best Story. my friend was driving off of a cutover road from RT 50 in Fairfax VA, saw a Civic with an AEM License plate frame driving down the road. saw him HIt a Huge puddle of water, SHoot out huge puff of white smoke, and then the guy pulled over and had the Hood up looking at his NON BY PASSED AEM CAI

lose the 1-2 hp with the by pass or not, i KNOW i need it. and i am Damn glad i have it.

if i lived in AZ sure i wouldnt need it *bypass valve* but i live in VA so i DO
Old 06-18-2003, 11:03 PM   #18
SeoulJaGirl

hmm... i'm probably going to get laughed at, but i'm quite happy with my injen rd cai... it looks and sounds nice... i don't have any numbers to show how much hp i've gained, but i'd like to think i got a little.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:47 PM   #19
nonovurbizniz

I live in CT not AZ... it's been raining here too..

I've driven THROUGH a 1.5 ft puddle NO problems...

the puddle has to be VERY deep... and usually it stalls the car.. if not you can also just shut it off if you're heading into a huge puddle like that...

the kind of depth I'm talking about is NOT passable at speed...and if it were it would plow the water away from the bumper and intake preventing the water from being able to completely surround the inlet pipe.

Sure it's POSSIBLE to hit a puddle like that but regardless of what intake or what do-hickey is on it ... I'm CERTAINLY not going to plow through a 2+ foot puddle no matter what... I'll stop and turn around first...

what proof do you have that aem is the "best"... besides that's what other honda dorks say...

I haven't seen a SINGLE dyno that proves it's better than ANY other intake.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:01 PM   #20
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

if you are going to spend the $$ on an intake make it worth your wile and be somethign that will be functional as well as look good...I'm also a AEM fan as well DC Sports and Injen. The majority of peopel out here have those intakes. SO for products that have been known to perform and give you and increase you can't go wrong w/ purchasing them...
As for hydrolock you would have to keep the intake submerged in the 1.5ft of water long enough for it to fully engourge the intake/tb and engine to mess it up. So you can get the Bypass valve and eleviate that.

also w/ the AEM you can take off the CAI extension and just make it a short ram in teh Winter if you wanted but w/ the V2 new AEM you can't do that,if I'm right.... Hope this might help a bit mroe for you...

PS If you would liek to see some dyno charts I'll pull the ones thathave been up on the web for the last couple of yrs w/ the comparisons on the Dyno and the output HP #'s from AEM,Comptech,Injen...and if you really want to get technical the comptech produces the most HP then AEM and injen...
Old 06-21-2003, 05:31 PM   #21
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
how are iceman intakes JUNK

They are plastic - just kiddin.

I always was under the impression they wern't as good:
2 reasons.

Metal is a superior material (stronger, more durable). Metal intakes do not get as hot as plastic ones do.

just for the record, i feel all intakes are over - rated although they do make a small/relitively insignificant increase in power.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:59 PM   #22
pdiggitydogg

...iceman intakes arent junk...

want to know what Im sportin? I have an rs akimoto sri and then a dryer vent pipe (flex aluminum) for a cold air extension...and it works just great. after putting on the extension (total cost of parts was $15) I noticed a bit more power with my ass-dyno. Not as responsive as before...but better overall
Old 06-21-2003, 09:08 PM   #23
SeoulJaGirl

... the ass dyno... i see
Old 06-21-2003, 10:32 PM   #24
pdiggitydogg

lol NEVER question the reliability of the ass-dyno
Old 06-21-2003, 10:42 PM   #25
SeoulJaGirl

i wasn't questioning... i was.. er... revelling in it's wonder
Old 06-21-2003, 11:10 PM   #26
pdiggitydogg

oh yes...behold its wonderous glory...

the next time you bolt on a new part you should test it with your own ass-dyno
Old 06-21-2003, 11:53 PM   #27
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Originally posted by cashizslick
They are plastic - just kiddin.

I always was under the impression they wern't as good:
2 reasons.

Metal is a superior material (stronger, more durable). Metal intakes do not get as hot as plastic ones do.

just for the record, i feel all intakes are over - rated although they do make a small/relitively insignificant increase in power.

The iceman intake is made of "plastic" BECAUSE it doesn't absorb or transfer as much heat as a metal one would...

hence the name "ICE" man...

metal is NOT superior to plastic at all.. at least not as a tubing material...

A. Plastic doesn't bend or kink (like if you drop it or it gets something dropped on it.)
B. Plastic doesn't rust
C. Plastics are MUCH better insulators than metal.. (how many thermos' do you see made of metal? IE keeps cold things cold and warm things warm.)
D. As it is molded in the shape instead of bent into shape it is more rigid and structurally sound.

Intakes aren't over-rated (unless you think they give you 20hp or something rediculous)... they increase performance economy and drivability DRAMATICALLY... try driving a stock civic and then yours and see the difference... the stockers don't rev HALF as easialy as one with i.h.e.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:32 PM   #28
pimpinprelude

i dont know if any of you saw my post, but i now have the stuff to bend,shape,weld and cut metal.. along with Exzost < (hahah thanks racing rice, i am going to spell it like that if i go big!) systems i am thinking of makeing c.a.i systmz too.. man this is going to be soo kinkin... but i need to find a place that i can find demensions for the bends, and stuff like that for all diffrent kinds of hondas...

Last edited by pimpinprelude : 06-23-2003 at 08:28 PM.
pimpinprelude is offline   Reply With Quote