.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2003, 03:58 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

DVD Copying Software

I've been looking around and there's a ton of this stuff. I don't have a DVD-RW (hey...I'm broke) but I got a new computer for X-mas so I'm interested in seeing how this works. I know it will copy the DVD into VCD format but that works since my DVD player works with VCD formats. Here's my question: is there any software that will allow me to burn directly from my hard drive? Say I was to download an entire movie...is there anything that will let me burn it to a CD-R? Yes, I am aware that such an act is technically video piracy, but I don't see how it's any different than *ahem* borrowing am DVD from a friend and burning it. So do I have any options?
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 04:01 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

basically you can rip it and encode it with DivX, and have a file size smaller that 700mb, and then use nero to create a vcd. i think dvd.box.sk has some pretty good stuff to do that. you never heard this from me

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 05:14 AM   #3
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Heard what?

By the by...how do you switch something from an MPEG or Avi file to a Divx encoded file?

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 02-24-2003, 09:47 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

good. basicallly divx is only a codec, and the files are usually in the mpg or avi format. they should have the tool at the link i gave you

Old 02-24-2003, 11:10 PM   #5
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Thanks Hondaman.

Since you seem to be a lot more in the know than I am about this kinda shit, do you know of anywhere I can find a decoder for MPEGs made by bitcasting. I've got a bunch of videos and video clips that worked just fine on my old computer but they won't play on anything on the new computer. It just gives me an error message. Any ideas?

Old 02-25-2003, 12:03 AM   #6
blind34_1

go into barnes and noble and buy a magazine called 2600. THe current issue has a great article on the methods to rip dvds. very comprehensive and by far the best magazine five dollars can buy.
current issue has a big building on it during twilight, with the buildings lights on in the pattern of sloppy star.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:47 AM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

just do a search in download.com for it. something should pop up, and ms media player shoul attempt to download the codecs by itself.

Old 02-25-2003, 01:25 AM   #8
Maxvla

www.doom9.org

all questions answered there.

**turns around and feigns innocence**
Old 02-25-2003, 02:48 AM   #9
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by blind34_1
go into barnes and noble and buy a magazine called 2600. THe current issue has a great article on the methods to rip dvds. very comprehensive and by far the best magazine five dollars can buy.
current issue has a big building on it during twilight, with the buildings lights on in the pattern of sloppy star.

Actually, I log a few hours a week at a Borders store and we carry 2600 so I'll check it out. As for my MS player getting the codec...it always tries but it always says the codec is unavailable. And for some reason dowload.com isn't working out for me.