Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2003, 12:53 PM   #1
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

ok...help

Finally decided that theres no way Im swapping for a b16a2...just cant afford it. So instead Im gonna turbo the d16y8...

What my question is:
How good of a setup is the greddy blue box fitted into the ecu? It is just plug and play right? I got some instal pic from turbocivic.net that shows where the wires need to be hooked up...is that all there is to it?

Would it be a lot better to just run a fmu from vortech instead of the blue box? What about a safc?

Oh and the turbo manifold for the 92-95 ex does fit on the 96-00 ex doesnt it?

1 more thing: my engines got 77xxx miles on it and it wouldnt surprise me if i got to 80K by the time I get the turbo. It would be smart for me to get new pistons, rods, and a head gasket right? What about a new camshaft (zex) would that also be a wise idea or would that just for more fun? I really dont plan on running more than the 5.5psi for a while; because I cant afford to
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 06:27 PM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

I have done every possible basic fuel enhancement with the GReddy turbo kit. These are my take on it:

The blue box is effective but burns so much fuel. It does however places the engine in a smooth transition to boost. GReddy tech says that it is good up to 8 psi boost. Others have proven it to push boost up to 10 psi and still read "rich". The diagram on civic.net will work. I know the owner of that site. We installed our turbo about the same time and were in good contact for a while. Shiet, he used to moderate this forum....

The vortech 12:1 FMU works good but I just dont like it. I want fuel enrichment throughout the power band.....not just during boost. The FMU will also require a missing link or check valves. A missing link/check valves bleeds off a small amount of boost. The FMU gives you a whiplash cuz of that kick in boost when it dumps more fuel to the cylinder.

The exhaust manifold will fit with no problem. Any D16 or D15 can use that exhaust manifold.

Get a compression check before you turbo it. 77k is not that bad but I do not know your driving habits. If the check does fine, no need to get new internals at 5.5 psi boost, unless you have the cash. I do not recommend to get a thicker head gasket with 5.5 psi boost. If you do, your low end power will suffer until it hits boost. Camshafts will not really benefit you with a turbo set-up. Camshafts lean more on the N/A build up. Seriously, get a compressor check. If you pass, there's really no need to upgrade the internals at 5.5 psi boost..... goodluck to you and keep us posted man....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 06:36 PM   #3
pdiggitydogg

ok what should the compression be? when i want to upgrade boost what should i do? I wont go over 10 i know for sure
Old 01-17-2003, 07:05 PM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

This is a sensitive issue. I'm one of those people that is all about maintaining stock compression and rather deal with tuning. I wouldnt even lower the D16y8 compression until anything over 12 psi boost. I would tune the crap out of it tho. That is my opinion. I'm sure other turbo techs will have their 2 Lincoln.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 01-17-2003, 07:34 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg

hopefully 'cause im totally lost at this point
Old 01-17-2003, 09:31 PM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

I would seriously keep the stock compression and get a decent fuel management.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum