Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2002, 03:51 PM   #1
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

uh oh...starting problems

Well this has happened a couple of times within the last few months and I thought it was a battery problem, however, after dropping in an optima red I know that it isnt that.

Lately its having a problem starting all the way up. I have to keep the key turned for sometimes up to 2 seconds before it will start all the way. Actually when my dad borrowed it for a day he said that noting would happen at all when he turned the key, not even the radio or blower...twice..he turned it and it didnt even click. (starter?)

I have a thought that its some problem with the fuel system, maybe the pump...but I wouldnt really know. I have a feeling that if I take it in for a check up its not going to do it and theyre gonna tell me its fine (this always happens to me)

Any ideas? (I know its hard to say without being here)

Oh, and if it is the pump can I put in an Si pump instead for better flow for when I put in the turbo or should I just get a matching pump and upgrade later?
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 02:38 PM   #2
armyguy5
3rd Gear

take your alternator to like Pep Boys or Auto zone and get it tested.....if you turn the key and no electronics come on either your batteries dead, or your ingition cylinder is going......my guess whould be the alternator.....but you can still kill optima batteries..there good buy not god

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 06:11 PM   #3
Spitz

When I used to have a Chevy S-10 before I converted to the import side. I had the same problem I tried everything never figured it out.
Old 01-01-2003, 02:03 PM   #4
Afroney

Before taking the alternator out check...

Check the condition of the ground wire from the battery negative lead to the chassis. It may be bad if the wire looks corroded, or is loose from either the chassis end or the battery end. Check the termanals too and clean them. My next guess would be the alterator.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:07 PM   #5
pauls-si

Everytime it wouldn't crank did you jump it off....then it cranked or did you just turn the ignition on and off till it cranked?
Old 01-01-2003, 09:18 PM   #6
pdiggitydogg

for me it always starts fine...eventually sometimes but i have never expirienced the total lack of power for everything...that was just my dad and I personally think he doesnt have a clue what hes talking about :o
w/ my situation its like the car isnt getting any fuel. I did however check the battery connections, just for the hell of it, and its all good there.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:01 PM   #7
drdingo21

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitz
When I used to have a Chevy S-10 before I converted to the import side. I had the same problem I tried everything never figured it out.
I had the same problem on my s-dime. You would try to start and all it does is click every time you try to start it. I had the starter and silonide replaced and never had a problem again
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 11:09 PM   #8
armyguy5
3rd Gear

we need a better description of the problem.....so far theres been a problem with no electonics coming on...and now theres a n0 fuel problem.......which one is it...or do both happen??

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 12:06 AM   #9
pdiggitydogg

lets just say my dad probably doesnt have any idea whats going on and forget the electronics not coming on...I have never had that problem. Im just going to go with the fuel problem. Guess I should take it in soon