::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2002, 01:44 AM   #1
Mischief(LTS)

good type of paint for interior work?

well i decided im going to go ahead and give my civic that oh so desired custom look by painting some of the paneling blue. side panels, center console panels, fuse panels, stuff like that. i was wondering if good old automotive paint is good for this? or if theres a certain type of paint i should look for to paint vinyl (or whatever it is) paneling? thanks ahead
Old 12-23-2002, 09:22 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

look for vinyl/fabric paint. right now most of the places carry that type of paint

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 04:31 PM   #3
blind34_1

there is some good high end paint at walmart believe it or not. I think the brand is krylon. I was using the vinyl coloring that you can get from advnace auto, the ones that you pay like 4-5 bucks a can for. I regretted it. get the $2.5 cans from walmart and do many coats. buy clear coat too.

oh, and SAND EVERYTHING. I made that mistake about an hour ago!
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 12:46 AM   #4
Mischief(LTS)

i used some paint made by plasti-kote. thats for general automotive purposes. and im using this stuff called bulldog paint stick which i guess is like a primer and makes paint stick to any automotive surface. plastic, vinyl, metal, etc. is that all i need? i also sanded down the panels and such that i wanted to paint with about 250 grit sandpaper.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:31 AM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

you will want a clear coat, otherwise the paint will scratch off easy. Make sure you really really like the color cause it wont come off after youre done...trust me I have an extra set of yellow a-pillars and speaker covers to prove it
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 01:40 PM   #6
blind34_1

bulldog paint stick? sounds like I could use some of this? where do you get it? walmart? lowes?
Old 12-24-2002, 02:57 PM   #7
Mischief(LTS)

i got it at pep boys. but i think its also available at kragen. it comes in a blue and white regular spray paint sized can. there are different kinds of the stuff, so just be sure to get the general purpose one. it runs about 4.99/5.99
Old 12-24-2002, 10:03 PM   #8
Quist

At real paint stores there is also a clear paint adhesive promoter that will do the same thing as what you are using the Bull Dog stick for. I used it when i painted my interior black and it still looks great......just take a lot of time!!!!
Old 12-25-2002, 01:05 AM   #9
Mischief(LTS)

im having trouble finding clear coat. is that the name it goes by? i did my panels with 2 coats of primer (bulldog stick stuff) and 5 coats of paint. it came out pretty well. all i need is to clear coat it a few times. if i can find the stuff.
Old 12-25-2002, 05:45 AM   #10
Quist

Naaa you can find clear coat anywhere, the stuff i was talking about is used to make the paint and primer stick to the plastic better. But you should be able to find clear coat anywhere
Old 12-25-2002, 02:41 PM   #11
Mischief(LTS)

cool thx. heres how my first batch of panels came out, for anyone that is interested. it looks REALLY awesome. i cant wait to do the sides of my doors. im working on the front bars by the windshield and they'll be done later on today...

by the way if anyone likes this color, its plasti-kote 5417 datsun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firstbatchpainted.jpg (54.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-25-2002, 02:41 PM   #12
Mischief(LTS)

closeup of side door panel piece
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsidecoverpainted.jpg (46.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 12-26-2002, 05:21 PM   #13
blind34_1

thats looks very nice! is that metallic?

you should be able to go into walkmart, go to the spray paint aisle, and look for that cap that has a clear color. make sure its actually clear coat, though.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:04 PM   #14
Mischief(LTS)

yea its metallic. made to match the paint of the car perfectly. but came out really good on the plastic. i did the back and front bars blue. im waiting to do the doors last because it takes the most time. more pics soon