::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2003, 12:00 AM   #1
Spitz

Greddy Turbo Kit 2000 civic ex

I know a lot of you guys have done it what exactly do you have to modify in the Greddy kit (92-95 ex) to make it fit in a 99-00. And about how much did you end up paying when all was said and done thanks.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:38 AM   #2
SthPerformance

I think it would be worth the extra few dollars to purchase the Apexi turbo kit... It cost like 2100.00 bucks at options...
here is what all you get with the apexi kit...
1992-95 Honda Civic EX or Si (D16Z6) - up to 160hp street, 190hp offroad

Includes:
AX53B60 P18 ball bearing turbocharger
Cast-iron exhaust manifold
Power Intake filter kit
Necessary piping and mounting hardware
I myself would do the apexi unit just cause i seen alot of good numbers from it.. They say 160-190hp but i seen on another board a member put this pit on his car and dynoed at alittle over 230Whp... It was tuned by the Apexi Power Fc..
But greddy is a good system to, its just apexi took it to the next level with alittle better products such as there Ball-bearing turbo
Old 02-15-2003, 05:56 AM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

I briefly saw an advertisement by edelbrock who now has a 92-00 civic SOHC turbo kit available. But if the GReddy is what tickles you, read my "how to" on the STEP by STEP forum. Also, email me at arceoa@porter.navy.mil for any specifics......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 12:23 AM   #4
Sivik

I went with the GReddy kit for the straight bolt on and price. I love it and it spools up very quick and the power is incredible.

The Apex kit is better since the ball bearing turbo comes with it, and for the price difference you get the extra power. But again, the price is more expensive.

The Edelbrock kit will soon be released if not already and it consists of a T25 ball bearing turbo (the same turbo on the new Mazda Protege's) and it comes with an intercooler and all the necessary stuff to install. I don't know the price or power/performance of it, but I'm sure it will be sweet.

As far as the GReddy kit, the only modification you have to do is find a wiring diagram for the blue box for your year. It is on Thermal's website and is not hard to do. Other than that, the kit is straight bolt on.

If you have any ???'s just let us know.

My Car

My Car is for sale
Sivik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 08:30 PM   #5
Wren57

"1992-95 Honda Civic EX or Si (D16Z6) - up to 160hp street, 190hp offroad"

oh man, Im sorry but thats just sad... up to 190hp with a turbo, cmon, why spend upwards of 2-3k to get 190hp, unless of course you plan on going all out with forging interals and cranking boost, but why, seriously? you won't be fast, you just wont be quite as slow...

now im not bashing you guys looking for extra power, I dont blame you, but thats some serious money and doesnt really return a whole lot. do a search on ebay for "turbo civic" and see how many hits you get. you gotta wonder why so many people turbo their civics then sell them. is it because they realize they still arent powerful?

im not trying to belittle anyones car, i respect the work that goes into it more than the final outcome, I just want to make sure you know what you are doing before spending that kinda money... just trying to help
Old 05-31-2003, 12:54 AM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

Too late. To me, it's a matter of getting my hands dirty. I enjoy working on my car. Since I already have the car, why not push it. I cant afford a 350Z nor supras......peace out

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-28-2003, 09:15 PM   #7
sohc_vtec 2NR

the edelbrock sells for $3,500-3700 and gets you 170 HP, apexi sells for $2,100 and gives you 160, how about greddy's turbo?

it is possible to modify both greddy and apexi's turbo to fit a 99 ex right?
Old 06-29-2003, 12:27 AM   #8
thermal
Banning Machine

The power gain relies on the amount of boost being pushed. Boost is boost. If it fits a 5gen civic, it will fit a 6th gen as well. I have the GReddy 92-95 civicEX kit on my 99. Fits like a champ. The blue box needs to be converted but it's really easy. My website has the conversion.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-29-2003, 02:23 PM   #9
sohc_vtec 2NR

thermalfi'd16, did you ever dyno your car? if so how much hp?? and what other mods you got on your car? i'm thinkin' of boosting my car in the future..
Old 06-29-2003, 10:05 PM   #10
thermal
Banning Machine

No dyno time yet. I'm not done tuning my car. I still have some left over parts/upgrade in my garage that needs to be installed like 255 LPH fuel pump, adj FPR, straight flow cat, etc. In about 2 weeks I will have my new FMIC complete. I'm planing on taking my car to the dyno then. Current performance mods along with the Turbo and IC kit:
-TurboXS sMBC @ 8 psi
-GReddy typeS BOV
-no blue box, using APEXi VAFC "hacked" starting at -38% trim
-no check valves
-DSM 450cc injectors/Honda resistor pack
-thermal R&D exhaust
-Custom 2.5 inch exhaust pipe
-NGK 7 series plugs
-Nology hotwires (not really needed)
-stock timing
-stock internals
-stock fuel pump

all that and no pinging

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 07-26-2003, 10:34 AM   #11
yin_immortal

the edelbrock kit is worth the money IMO because you get the intercooler, both manifolds, all the piping and neccesary components. check it out at edelbrock.com
Old 07-26-2003, 12:54 PM   #12
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

Its true that other kits include more things. But for most that want a small turbo at a good price then the greddy kit works. Overall, I am happy with my purchase of the greddy kit. Maybe if I didn't have a SOHC, I would get a drag kit or revhard.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
2000Pimpinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 08:07 PM   #13
Sivik

yea, i agree with Pimpin... i love my Greddy kit. Its perfect for the SOHC. price isn't that bad either. everyday driving is what i do and the greddy kit works great for me. now if it was a racecar or something... i'd go a different route.

My Car

My Car is for sale
Old 07-26-2003, 10:49 PM   #14
thermal
Banning Machine

I agree with pimpin' and sivik..... I have had the GReddy kit since 2001. No problems and still running strong

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 07-27-2003, 10:27 PM   #15
sohc_vtec 2NR

you guys are really good at convincing people to get greddy... the greddy evo sells for 1,500? right? and it has everything i need to run 5.5 psi correct? (cept a fmic) also, with the greddy would i need to have a turbo timer?
Old 07-28-2003, 01:59 AM   #16
Sivik

Yes, the Greddy TD04-15G kit sells for around 1500. Everything is bolt on and will run 5.5 psi. If your year Civic is 96-00, check out Thermal's website for the blue box wiring diagram. He also has the turbo install write up to help you out even more.

And yes you SHOULD get a turbo timer no matter what turbo you have. It helps protect the turbo and allows it to cool down and preserve its longevivty (I think I said all that right). The Greddy one is under 100 bucks and works great. Mostly, the turbo timer is all about what you like as far as looks since all of them do the same thing. Some might have different features however.

So yes, the Greddy turbo have everything you need, and YES you SHOULD get a turbo timer.

My Car

My Car is for sale
Old 07-28-2003, 11:45 AM   #17
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by sohc_vtec 2NR
you guys are really good at convincing people to get greddy... the greddy evo sells for 1,500? right? ......

Hindi....not evo? You meant turbo kit right? .

Get it pare. I promise you that it will be worth every penny. F**k that I/H/E combo sh!t. Get a decent exhaust tho. I'm using a thermal classic muffler with a custom 2.5 inch diameter minimum bend free flow pipe. My car is not loud. It just hums on the highway.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 07-28-2003, 09:13 PM   #18
sohc_vtec 2NR

putangina turbo na lang..! i think i'm definitely goin' turbo as soon as I have enough money! another question, how much hp will the greddy turbo add? i have the greddy evo already, can anybody direct me to a dyno chart? thanks a lot!

and i meant the greddy turbo not the greddy evo.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:40 AM   #19
Sivik

Greddy kit will about pretty good power. I dyno'd my car with the turbo and FMIC at 4 psi untune at 129 whp 130 wtq. thats at 4 psi though. my engine stock (d16y8) prolly puts down 95 whp and no wtq . so thats about 10 hp per psi which is avg but my A/F ratio was really really rich so I lost some power. but its still impressive for just a turbo.

My Car

My Car is for sale
Old 07-29-2003, 04:04 PM   #20
thermal
Banning Machine

Rule of thumb:
1 psi boost is equal to 10 plus/minus 2 HP gain, depending on tuning. I'm getting my car dynoed next week if everything goes well with my new FMIC project....... too many peeps knocking on my door for help on their cars man... Sh1t is getting old... I cant even do stuff on my own car anymore.

Pare, when I called GReddy before I bought my turbo kit a while back, they told me to get the GReddy EVO since that was the exhaust system that they used when they were conducting their R&D on the TDO4 and TDO5. So I'm assuming that the GReddy EVo will work very well with their kit......

TURBO is the bizomb bro

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 07-31-2003, 11:28 PM   #21
sohc_vtec 2NR

pare...keep us updated on the dyno will yah...i'm interested in seein' how much power your car makes
Old 08-02-2003, 05:29 PM   #22
thermal
Banning Machine

No doubt. A fe more tweaking and I will dyno my baby...

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum