Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2003, 01:04 AM   #1
Jay1_322

engine build up

HI everyone

I have a 97 EX 1.6 vtech d16y8. I plan to eventually run as a daily driver about 7psi boost, and 10+ on track day, and dyno time. so if anyone has suggestions on these questions i have please give me your opinions. I want good quality resonably affordable parts here. I would just love to get 250 HP from this thing

1) ECU and or fuel managment
i'll need bigger injectors and a better fuel pump surely

2) Rods and Pistons
which ones are strong enough to go there?

definately will be a turbo setup, thanks for reading my post! and thanks for any help/suggestions you've given

Peace:
Old 03-26-2003, 01:13 AM   #2
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

I think you'd need to run more boost to get around 250 hp.

Large injectors, pump, hondata would work great as a standalone..

I've been gearing towards JE pistons w/ eagle or crower rods.

Remember that if you want to run higher boost, the integrity of your cylinder walls may be at stake, and a sleeving job may be necessary.

Dont forget the BOV, Intercooler, Wastegate, piping.. etc.

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 01:40 AM   #3
Jay1_322

Re: engine build up

Well, i guess horses arent all that important, because i am concerned with the health and reliability of this engine. You sound like you've had a ton of experience. I would love for this car to be a daily driver, and be able to run 1/4 mile times in the area of high 12's or low 13's. how much boost would I need? jeez, import tuning is tough, lol. Who is doing the sleeve jobs on honda engines? and how much? Thanks, Jason
Old 03-26-2003, 01:47 AM   #4
nonovurbizniz

12's or 13's your not going to do that with 250... but to answer your original q...

You can run 7 psi NO problem on a stock block just need to boost up the fuel to prevent detonation... and move to colder plugs.

If you want to build to be safe I would recomend a setup a guy on h-t was selling... it's b16 rods (stronger than d16) which are machined to accept a turbo supra piston (they are forged and designed to take boost). this will allow you to safely run 12-18 psi. that should get you to your time goals.. or close at least...

He personally runs that set up with nothing more but a larger headgasket to drop enitial compression... this allows you to run higher boost. about 21psi... that's A LOT of boost.

You'd probobly run 12-13's with that setup NO problem... and you'd probobly spend more on just rods from a company like JE or eagle..

Sleeving is imho a waste on a d16... they're SOOO CHEAP you can just buy a new block if you blow a hole in it.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:41 AM   #5
Jay1_322

AWesome answer! Thanks, have to go look up that guy, lol. WOW! 20 pounds of boost! THAT IS A LOT OF BOOST I am daring to dream. What head gasket? Got ANY links for me?? SOrry to be a pain, lol. Thanks again Jason
Old 03-26-2003, 09:06 AM   #6
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

christ, to run that kind of boost you'd want to get a larger turbo.

You can run 20 lbs of boost on a slightly lowered compression on a stock block?

What you said about the d series is true, they ARE extremely cheap, but do you really want to go through the hassle of replacing the block, pulling the head, pulling the engine.. etc.. everytime you **** the block?

while the supra/b16 combo will probably yield a strong setup.. why not save yourself the hassle and just purchase from JE or crower? :P

I guess it would be a much cheaper way than resleeving.. butttt.... why not save yourself the hassle in the long run.. and just sleeve the block?

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 12:40 PM   #7
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

that car is gonna run like crizap as a daily driver if youre trying to get 250hp out of a sohc
yes it can be done w/ the right internals but because of them, when going down to a lower boost for daily use it just wont run very well.
maybe keep it 10psi max and even then you should keep moderate internals so it can run decent track times and decent still be ok for street use
Think of what youre really using this car more for, track or street and then decide on what you want to do with it
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 03:22 PM   #8
Jay1_322

thanks but

Yeah, I just thought around 250hp would be an awesome figure, i was thinking of running only about 7psi daily. But i would love to have the internals to go to around 15 psi for runs, and just to know that I could. Everyone says I can run 7 psi without the internals, but the protection would be a good thing. I wasnt seriously thinking about running 20psi, but I'd love to have myself a turbo that could go to 15 or so. I want a turbo that can do both. Any suggestions?
Old 03-26-2003, 05:05 PM   #9
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriyakiBroccoli
I think you'd need to run more boost to get around 250 hp.

Large injectors, pump, hondata would work great as a standalone..

I've been gearing towards JE pistons w/ eagle or crower rods.

Remember that if you want to run higher boost, the integrity of your cylinder walls may be at stake, and a sleeving job may be necessary.

Dont forget the BOV, Intercooler, Wastegate, piping.. etc.

ANd with higher boost you need to add more fuel to keep your pistons from melting, plus you are gonna want to retard your ignition timing to keep ur car from blowing up.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:21 AM   #10
JDMB16

1) send your setup list to Hondata (www.hondata.com) along with your ECU and they'll hook you up with a reprogramming of the stock ECU to work best with your particular setup. Get some RC injectors and in-tank fuel pump. Get colder spark plugs....ZEX makes good spark plugs specifically for FI (forced induction) www.zex.com

2) Eagle rods will be fine and JE makes good pistons, they're not only forged but they are made to drop compression a little which in turn lets your motor handle more boost. Another trick to lowering your compression would be to double stack your head gaskets.

Also, you will want to look into an intercooler and blow off valve as stated before to relieve some stress on the turbo and motor. Also, you should be more realistic than wanting 250 whp with a daily driven D16 IMO. If you are still wanting more, there are cams out there that are made specifically for FI vehicles also. And yes, you would be fine with about 7 psi daily driven.