::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2002, 09:36 PM   #1
starmax

Bosch +4 Spark plugs worth it?

I'm getting some new plugs and I was wondering what you all think of Bosch +4 plugs. They are only about $5 each, so that's a not a big investment. Any thoughts?

TIA
Old 01-27-2002, 09:44 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I am running them, and I'm not very happy with them. Many people on this board will tell you the same. It seems that they are better suited for German cars, or so I've been told.

I'd stick with just NGKs, or if you're feeling good, but some iridiums. I just got some, but I haven't had a chance to put them in yet.

Note: Strangely enough, the plats ran wonderfully in my GTi. They just seem kind of hit and miss, so I'd stick with the proven NGKs.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--

Last edited by 94_AcCoRd_EX : 01-27-2002 at 11:34 PM.
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 11:31 PM   #3
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
I am running them, and I'm not very happy with them. Many people on this board will tell you the same. It seems that they are better suited for German cars.

I'd stick with just NGKs, or if you're feeling good, but some iridiums. I just got some, but I haven't had a chance to put them in yet.
I'm running regular Bosch Platinums and my comments are exactly the same as above.

The funny thing is, I've used them for years in other vehicles and they worked great; 80-100k before replacing. The counter-man at Auto Zone told me that Bosch Platinums are a hit-'n-miss proposition. Some cars they work great in, others [like certain Fords, he said] won't run at all with them.

Stick with the NGK V-Power coppers. That's what I'm going back to. They only last about 15-20k [in my HX] but they are a much, much better performing plug, and cheaper...
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 12:14 PM   #4
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quiet bad on japanese cars..

Those plugs are made for german cars.. Thats why they ran well on 94_Accord's Gti..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 12:21 PM   #5
SWIFT

even their wires suck!
Old 01-29-2002, 07:16 AM   #6
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord Man
Quiet bad on japanese cars...
I burned up an OE plug at 19k. I started my car, it was running on 3-cylinders and it instantly tripped a 'check engine' light. I ran it a couple of miles to Pep Boys and bought a new set, installed them and did a EMU reset.

At 40k, I decided to take them out and check 'em. I had been experiencing a few 'no goes' at startup. They were basically fried again. That's when I switched to the Bosch plugs.

I've got about 8k on them. The reason I don't care for them is because I'm getting this weird little thing at startup. Most ppl probably wouldn't even notice it, but when I first start my car it doesn't fire up quite as quickly, and it sounds V rich for a couple of secs. Other than that, they seem to work fine. I dunno, maybe I'm starting to have a problem elsewhere, but I don't think so...

I liked the NGK's, but they do go south in a hurry. I've talked to a couple of ppl that install new plugs at every oil change. That's what I'm thinking about doing. Hell, a set of NGK V-Powers are only 8 bones in this area. I pay almost that much for my oil filter and 4 bones/qt for oil, so it doesn't add that much to the cost of maintenance IMO.

Platinums are V inefficient. Silver-core are the best, but copper are a close second. For most apps, copper-core is your best bet, albeit short lived. Iridiums sound good on paper, but you're talking 10-15 bones EACH; 40-65 bones a set. I don't feel like spending that much on an experiment, but maybe you do.

Anyway, just a few more thoughts for you...
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
Old 01-29-2002, 12:56 PM   #7
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe
I burned up an OE plug at 19k. I started my car, it was running on 3-cylinders and it instantly tripped a 'check engine' light. I ran it a couple of miles to Pep Boys and bought a new set, installed them and did a EMU reset.

At 40k, I decided to take them out and check 'em. I had been experiencing a few 'no goes' at startup. They were basically fried again. That's when I switched to the Bosch plugs.

I've got about 8k on them. The reason I don't care for them is because I'm getting this weird little thing at startup. Most ppl probably wouldn't even notice it, but when I first start my car it doesn't fire up quite as quickly, and it sounds V rich for a couple of secs. Other than that, they seem to work fine. I dunno, maybe I'm starting to have a problem elsewhere, but I don't think so...

I liked the NGK's, but they do go south in a hurry. I've talked to a couple of ppl that install new plugs at every oil change. That's what I'm thinking about doing. Hell, a set of NGK V-Powers are only 8 bones in this area. I pay almost that much for my oil filter and 4 bones/qt for oil, so it doesn't add that much to the cost of maintenance IMO.

Platinums are V inefficient. Silver-core are the best, but copper are a close second. For most apps, copper-core is your best bet, albeit short lived. Iridiums sound good on paper, but you're talking 10-15 bones EACH; 40-65 bones a set. I don't feel like spending that much on an experiment, but maybe you do.

Anyway, just a few more thoughts for you...

Bosch plugs in general, not only the plat 4's, are designed for cars that have a flatter cylinder head. Thus, when you use this sort of plug in a car that sports a rounder cylinder head, namely hondas, incompatibility issues are prone to arise.

Regarding the oe plug that you burned at 19k, thats quiet strange. Unless the plug was faulty, but that would be very unlikely. Maybe it would be worth for you to take it to an independant certified garage to run a full engine diagnostics. If he finds anything, hopefully you're warranty is still in effect and will take care of it.

I wouldnt be able to tell you how many horses I might have gained by using the Denso Irridums.. However, acceleration had improved. Enough so, that I didnt need to get on the accelerator as much as I usually would during morning and evening traffic hours. In reasonably similar driving conditions, I averaged 50kms more per full tank.

It was worth in my case.

But you can judge for yourself.

Old 01-29-2002, 01:29 PM   #8
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
I wouldnt be able to tell you how many horses I might have gained by using the Denso Irridums.. However, acceleration had improved. Enough so, that I didnt need to get on the accelerator as much as I usually would during morning and evening traffic hours. In reasonably similar driving conditions, I averaged 50kms more per full tank.

It was worth in my case.

But you can judge for yourself.

I'm still waiting to get a torque wrench so I can put mine in. I was getting an oil change at Honda, and I asked them if they'd throw them in, but they wanted 1/2 hour labor = $30 just to do that, so I didn't do it.

And yes, I paid to get my oil changed . I don't have any tools here at school, and my apt. has strict rules against doing any kind of auto work in the parking lot area.

Old 01-29-2002, 01:43 PM   #9
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:

I'm still waiting to get a torque wrench so I can put mine in. I was getting an oil change at Honda, and I asked them if they'd throw them in, but they wanted 1/2 hour labor = $30 just to do that, so I didn't do it.

And yes, I paid to get my oil changed . I don't have any tools here at school, and my apt. has strict rules against doing any kind of auto work in the parking lot area.

That stinks.. I didnt get my wrench either..
Too many expenses popped out of nowhere..

Old 01-29-2002, 01:52 PM   #10
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:

That stinks.. I didnt get my wrench either..
Too many expenses popped out of nowhere..

Not to jack the thread, but don't get that craftsman wrench I was looking at. It turns out that craftsman torque wrenches don't carry the lifetime warranty that all of their other tools do because they are more complex. With the torque wrenches, you're screwed after 90 days...

I really need to find a pretty good 10-80+ ft-lb wrench in the $100 range soon.

Old 01-29-2002, 10:33 PM   #11
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:

Regarding the oe plug that you burned at 19k, thats quiet strange.

That's what the dealer told me...

Unless the plug was faulty, but that would be very unlikely.

That was their 'best guess.'

Maybe it would be worth for you to take it to an independant certified garage to run a full engine diagnostics. If he finds anything, hopefully you're warranty is still in effect and will take care of it.

I ran out of warranty in a little over a year. I drive a LOT of miles.

I wouldnt be able to tell you how many horses I might have gained by using the Denso Irridums.. However, acceleration had improved... judge for yourself.

I might do that...
I think the problem is I drive mostly on the highway. I also drive in the mountains where I've got the pedal buried for 7-8 miles at a time in 4th gear. I probably should go back to NGK's but use colder plugs.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:38 PM   #12
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:

Not to jack the thread, but don't get that craftsman wrench I was looking at. It turns out that craftsman torque wrenches don't carry the lifetime warranty that all of their other tools...
Hrm... I've used a Craftsman torque wrench for over 10 years with no probs. It's a clicker. The trick is to zero it out before you put it away. I torque everything, so it's gotten a lot of use. I really prefer dial indicators, but clickers are faster...
Old 01-30-2002, 12:05 AM   #13
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Good ol' Mechanics tools....lasted us like at least 10 years...still werks fine.....clicker too

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 12:07 AM   #14
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Hmm.. sounds pretty good then.

BDC, would this be a good one to get?
http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00944596000

That's a long URL, so if that doesn't work, you can go to www.craftsman.com and type in item # 00944596000

Thanks

Old 01-30-2002, 12:12 AM   #15
SWIFT

that's what i have right now and so far it's not giving me any probs. one suggestion: dont use it to loosen bolts...it applies to all torque wrenches too..
Old 01-30-2002, 12:19 AM   #16
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SWIFT
that's what i have right now and so far it's not giving me any probs. one suggestion: dont use it to loosen bolts...it applies to all torque wrenches too..

Yeah, I won't loosen with it. I basically just need a wrench that's versatile enough to install spark plugs and tighten lugs, etc. Its hard to find one with a torque range that will do all that.

I'll probably get that one after all then.

Old 01-30-2002, 10:10 AM   #17
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

90 USD??

Thats pretty expensive..

I can get the same thing over here for 90 CAD..

Does Pep boys carry these tools??

Old 01-30-2002, 01:06 PM   #18
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:

Does Pep boys carry these tools??

Nope, they are Sears brand. Where can you get the same one for 90 CDN? Remember, check out a snap-on torque wrench, or a mac-tools model. They run 2-4 times that much money.

Old 01-30-2002, 02:51 PM   #19
james_willson1

ngk makes platinum plugs that work very well in my 98 civic si you should look into them.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:04 PM   #20
90civiclxryder

i read something from a honda technician saying that bosch aint that good in honda, id say go with NGK if u wanna be sure
Old 01-30-2002, 09:04 PM   #21
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by 90civiclxryder
i read something from a honda technician saying that bosch aint that good in honda, id say go with NGK if u wanna be sure

I know it for a fact.. I saw a demonstration that proved why it was so..

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In canada their is a chain store called *Canadian Tire*, similar to your Pep Boys.. Except CT doesnt only carry car stuff.. But that was the primary purpose.

www.canadiantire.com

I posted the pics cause you have to enter a postal code..
Once before you tried to access site with the same login process, and you didnt make it in.. So, this way you could take a look..

Old 01-30-2002, 09:18 PM   #22
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Those look pretty good JP, thanks for posting those pics. My only concern is getting one that will do plugs too. Aren't you supposed to torque the plugs to ~13 ft-lbs? If so, those won't cut it. Also, since lugs are supposed to be 80, the one I was looking at really pushes it. I read that they aren't as accurate at their extremes.

Old 01-31-2002, 12:32 AM   #23
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Hmm.. sounds pretty good then.

BDC, would this be a good one to get?
http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00944596000
Yeah, that looks like a nice 3/8" model. I use a 1/2" drive. Here's the one I've got :

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...=009 44595000

You know, the one you're looking at only goes to 80 ft/lb, which isn't enough for wheel bolts, domestic head bolts, et cetera. Why are you getting a 3/8"

I'm perfectly happy with the Craftsman I've got. I don't need [or want] a torque wrench with a digital readout [I prefer micrometer-style] or one that goes to 250 ft/lb. But, you might want to go that route. In that case, I'd buy:

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...=009 44597000

It seems a little excessive, but I think you would be better served by that wrench than a 3/8". Your choice...
Old 01-31-2002, 01:06 AM   #24
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

BDC, those do look like great models, but I'm worried that a minimum of 20 ft lbs isn't low enough. Maybe I'm just plain old wrong here, but aren't spark plugs torqued at about 13-15 ft lbs? That is one of the reasons I want the wrench is to do plugs. I got the 13-15 ft lbs from somebody's post in the Accord forum.

Old 01-31-2002, 01:09 AM   #25
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Aren't you supposed to torque the plugs to ~13 ft-lbs? ...lugs are supposed to be 80...
Correct, but I go 90-95 on the wheels. Of all the things I don't want coming loose, wheels are #1 on my list :o

Also, I don't know why they list clickers as going from 20-150 ft/lb [for instance]. They should list them like do dials and beams; 0-150 ft/lb. Doing 13 ft/lb is no problem...
Old 01-31-2002, 01:14 AM   #26
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe

Also, I don't know why they list clickers as going from 20-150 ft/lb [for instance]. They should list them like do dials and beams; 0-150 ft/lb. Doing 13 ft/lb is no problem...

Oh ok, thanks for the info. That's good to know about clickers going from 0-xxx. I take it the digitals won't do that though? I'll probably just save some money and go with a clicker since I won't be using it that much.

Old 01-31-2002, 02:41 AM   #27
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:

Oh ok, thanks for the info. That's good to know about clickers going from 0-xxx. I take it the digitals won't do that though? I'll probably just save some money and go with a clicker since I won't be using it that much.
Well, I suppose theoretically it won't go to zero. I've never tried to 'click' it with my fingers, you know? But, I think it would be more accurate if they said they will go up to 150 ft/lb in 1 lb increments, instead of 20-150 --- whatever.

I probably use mine mostly for lugs. I rotate my wheels every 5,000 miles and I maintain several other cars too. I could live without a torque wrench, but I wouldn't want to. I think everyone should have one.

One thing about Craftsmans... treat them like they're made of gold. They have a plastic handle, and more importantly, a plastic lock ring. If you drop it, or toss it around, the ring will break and make life difficult for you. That's the only down-side to them that I know about. Treat it right and it'll last you a lifetime.