Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Body Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2002, 02:27 PM   #1
Kyle
elyK

Shaving Handles

Hey guys...i wanna know what you have to have to do this(supplies), or how much it costs to do it at a body-shop...i saw it before on a 4 door tricked out civic...and i loved it...

Thanks

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 08:03 PM   #2
lx4life

i am planning on doing this to my civic also i have called around to body shops and they are telling me $500-800 for both doors but that doesn't include the shave handle kit which consist of the solnoids that open your door which range from $130-250 so basically you are looking at $650-1100 for two doors and remember you still have to get it painted so just call around and remember just because its cheap in price doesn't mean its not going to be good nor does it mean its going to be good, just be careful.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:29 PM   #3
frizzo60

were are you from I now some good bodyshops . I also work for a body shop and 1100 seems a bit expensive. but keep looking i can garanty you can find a cheeper price.
Old 03-19-2002, 06:45 PM   #4
lx4life

well its 1100 including the door poppers installed i woud probably install them my self.i know its still expensive i found a plac ethat wil do it for 500
Old 03-19-2002, 11:12 PM   #5
4jacks

It's just Bond-O !!!

I mean If you F it up .. just sand it off and redo!! It's going get painted anyway.

And if you do this and you shaved your trunk also make sure you have the poppers hooked up to a spare battery if you battery dies.. your breaking a window... If you dont shave your trunk then you just climb through thier

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 01:21 AM   #6
slowEJ6

actually only using bondo is a bad idea....i suggest welding a metal plate and using very little bondo to fill in the gap between the door handle area and the metal plate. from what ive seen that way is much more durable. if you can get your hands on a welder and a grinder.....thatd be great, you could do the whole thing yourself for probably about $100 per door (thats a high guess). if you dont have patience or you arent good at putting things together and sanding, i dont suggest doing this.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 02:35 AM   #7
BrandonClaps

uhm around here it's $100 per door and it's done with metal and very little filler. I suggest u keep lookin around

If you use only bondo (filler) then when it gets cold then arm it'll fall right out cause bondo doesn't expand and contract like metal fools i tell you fools!
Old 03-20-2002, 01:16 PM   #8
Kyle
elyK

I am 15 and i have no skill what-so-ever...(yet)
I do plan on workin in a body shop once i graduate...but i think i bettter let the pros do this one for me...
I live in san antonio, tx...anyone within 100 miles of that is good enuogh for me...so if anyone knows any places by me...just post it up on here...or e-mail me at mobbomb@hotmail.com

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 12:07 AM   #9
Jaguar

OK first off tell whom ever is going to do it use very little if not no bondo. If you can get some metal plates cut to the size you need and try and make sure it is 18 gauge metal that is what your car is made of is 18 gauge metal. This way it is more durable. Also if you do end up doing this I suggest you get an alternate way in like a hidden door opener cuz if the battery in the car or the keyless remote dies you're screwed :o . You can ask me any more questions if you like. I have friends who own a body shop and I have learned alot from them. I also had a lowered show truck so I got some inside on the whole show stuff I have seen it all pretty much on the show part of having a custom ride.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:59 PM   #10
slowEJ6

no bondo? how would you go about using absolutely no body filler? thatd take some serious time and still probably not even come out near as good as using a bit of body filler.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 11:00 PM   #11
midjjj

Anyone have pics of shaved doors? I would love to do this, but wanna see some pics before I commit the time and $$$

Thanks,
JT
Old 04-12-2002, 05:25 PM   #12
4jacks

Quote:
Originally posted by BrandonClaps

If you use only bondo (filler) then when it gets cold then arm it'll fall right out cause bondo doesn't expand and contract like metal fools i tell you fools!

I thought that was what fiberglass was for ??!@?!?

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote