.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2003, 09:57 PM   #1

getting started...

okay, i have some questions that i want to find out for my car. those idiots on importmix banned my ip address for calling a honda-basher "hamster penis" and "anal wart". anyways, on to the questions...

i have a 2002 civic dx, and yes it's all manual...manual locks, mirrors, seats, windows, ect. and it only has 115 hp(i'm sure you already know) stock but i think that's pretty respectable for the size of the car and engine. i didn't have enough money to get me a "higher-class" honda, so i'm stuck with this for a while(but i don't regret it).

to increase hp, what should i work on first?
a. intake
b. header
c. exhaust

and what are some of the top brands of each one of those? injen? dc?
Old 02-11-2003, 10:01 PM   #2
a96710

Intake-AEM and Injen are some good ones. Header- DC Sports, Greddy. Couple ways you can go exhaust. You can get the full stainless steel or have one custom made. All depends on your budget. What to do first....well that depends on what you wanna do with the car.
a96710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:05 PM   #3
96coupe

i would do intake-header-exhaust, but it doesn't matter much if you are getting them all anyway.

a. aem/injen
b. greddy/dc sports/
c. greddy/apex-i/skunk2/thermal
Old 02-11-2003, 10:26 PM   #4

okay, thanks for the help.

but wouldn't it be useless if i get the exhaust first when there's nothing really coming out of it?
Old 02-11-2003, 10:47 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

cheapest intake you can get is to remove the resonator and drop in a k&n...you'll get some hp out of it
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:51 PM   #6

nah, i'm not looking for the cheapest. i'm looking for a good quality with decent price.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:27 AM   #7
oc civic

nitrous oxide injection
Old 02-12-2003, 09:40 AM   #8
armyguy5
3rd Gear

with a stock DX.....headers are gonna be hard to find.....cuz there different from the EX and most performance companies make them for the EX....look at the others posts by nekcuttr and our replies....exhaust i just got a thermal R&D...go to www.7thgencivic.com and register to get a 5% discount at ptuning.com (get a full thermal cat back for 522 shipped i think they have it for your car not sure though)

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:48 AM   #9
oc civic

ok lemme re phrase my answer.. you COULD get
an intake ($90-$200) = 3 hp
a header ($200-$500) = 5 hp
an exhaust ($300-$700) = 4 hp
nitrous oxide ($400-$600) = 50-70 hp

so theres your answer....
Old 02-12-2003, 10:52 AM   #10
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by oc civic
nitrous oxide injection

Since you have a DX you are kinda limited on your mods, unless you went with a swap or something of the similar. You could do a turbo setup, but I think you would have to custom make a manifold, etc.

Nitrous would be the cheapest power booster for you. I/H/E arent really going to give you much if any performance upgrades with just your stock motor. Ive seen people build those stock DX motors to be quick, but NA builds are never cheap.

If you go the way of nitrous, do your homework first so you dont compromise you engines reliability.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by armyguy5
with a stock DX.....headers are gonna be hard to find.....cuz there different from the EX and most performance companies make them for the EX....look at the others posts by nekcuttr and our replies....exhaust i just got a thermal R&D...go to www.7thgencivic.com and register to get a 5% discount at ptuning.com (get a full thermal cat back for 522 shipped i think they have it for your car not sure though)

chris

can i get a different type of engine? if so, how much would it cost me?

and about the nos, even though it'll boost up my hp, i don't beleive in nos...so that method won't work.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by oc civic
ok lemme re phrase my answer.. you COULD get
an intake ($90-$200) = 3 hp
a header ($200-$500) = 5 hp
an exhaust ($300-$700) = 4 hp
nitrous oxide ($400-$600) = 50-70 hp

so theres your answer....

in depth, lmao. thanks.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:37 PM   #13
oc civic

Quote:
Originally posted by member
i don't beleive in nos

it really exists...
Old 02-12-2003, 06:39 PM   #14
Kyle
elyK

ok..you spend 600 bucks on the nitrous system...you spray...you fill the bottle again...spray...fill. spray, fill, spray, fill and it just keeps going on and on...
it gets to be WAY more expensive than anything else...

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:25 PM   #15
sohc_vtec 2NR

don't even think about gettin' a new engine...the engine is new and it would NOT be practical to just ditch a relatively new engine...

back to your questions.. if your gonna get I-H-E then i think it really wouldn't matter what you do first since your gettin' them all anyways... if you want to be notice get an exhaust...so its really up to you
Old 02-12-2003, 08:37 PM   #16
Shot 2 Hel

save up your money and get something more setup for the higher speeds and check eBay if you are gonna buy something for it. Plus check the 5 (give or take a post) post by NeckBitR
Old 02-12-2003, 09:03 PM   #17

i guess i'll just do whatever i can right now and then maybe swap the engine in the future.

Plus check the 5 (give or take a post) post by NeckBitR

???
Old 02-16-2003, 12:54 AM   #18
18secQuaterMile

welcome to the world of 7th generation civics, its a very SLOW world. on our little D16A engine dont expect the kind of gains people have been telling you. with headers/intake/exhuast you'll probably gain a max of 6 HP. its time to face reality, our cars (i also have a 2002 but i have an EX) arent meant for speed. i know, dry your eyes, it hurt me too. best bet is save up mucho bucko's and get a k20a swap or a NX makes a certain nitrous kit that will work with an all stock motor, think its like a 35, 50, 75 shot. but simple bolts on arent gonna do you much good, wont even be enough for a simple burn out. sorry.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:06 AM   #19
Civic98

Quote:
Originally posted by 18secQuaterMile
welcome to the world of 7th generation civics, its a very SLOW world. on our little D16A engine dont expect the kind of gains people have been telling you. with headers/intake/exhuast you'll probably gain a max of 6 HP. its time to face reality, our cars (i also have a 2002 but i have an EX) arent meant for speed. i know, dry your eyes, it hurt me too. best bet is save up mucho bucko's and get a k20a swap or a NX makes a certain nitrous kit that will work with an all stock motor, think its like a 35, 50, 75 shot. but simple bolts on arent gonna do you much good, wont even be enough for a simple burn out. sorry.

ur right ..........but engine swap costs lot of money