::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2004, 02:38 AM   #1
Wren57

interesting paper on being "alternative" i wrote... gt40, you'll love this

How many times do you hear the word alternative used to describe something in a day? I would guess many. Turn on the radio-- it’s alternative rock. Turn on NBC and there is a sitcom about an alternative lifestyle. Many things are considered alternative; those that are not the way of the populous typically define this category. In order to be considered alternative, something must go against the norm in an effort to separate itself from that norm. Alternative music, art, lifestyles, and more are drawing larger and larger audiences to the point where the alternative becomes the norm. If these once considered alternatives become mainstream, what will happen to the
meaning of the word?

Will the word continue to be used to associate with the same things we call alternative now, or will we turn on the radio and hear an alternative pop station? I think MTV will still be the focal point of the alternative movement. Aside from bad music and trendy VJs, MTV also supports alternative lifestyles in their “Fight for your Rights” campaign and through the inclusion of at least one homosexual in each of their “Real World” series. Artists like John Mayer and Evanescence are considered alternative, but sell millions upon millions of copies of their albums and take control of the airwaves across many different genres of radio stations. John Mayer is not alternative. He doesn’t stand against anything or create anything new of his own. He gets classified as alternative on Amazon.com, even though he is not alternative to anything. It is the very fact that he resembles so many of today’s youth that he is considered to be standard in his self-expression.

Self-expression, or individuality, has acquired an almost completely contrary meaning in today’s culture. How does “being different” make one stand out from a crowd when everyone desires the same level of distinction and individuality? Pre-torn and pre-washed jeans adorn the windows of stores such as American Eagle. This statement of individuality and apathy, which a few decades ago occurred naturally, now has become just another product in our materialist-driven society. Teenagers “rebel” against their parents by getting multiple piercings in their ears, tongues, bellies, or eyebrows. This is not a statement of individuality, since it is such a common action that is embraced, and almost expected, in today’s culture. To truly be an individualist, one must not merely replicate these trivial marks of uniqueness, but create something completely different. This is a feat that is extremely difficult, if not impossible. We are a culture that applies pressure to people to be individual and different, and by doing so to conform to societies pressure defeats the original purpose of individuality.

Media powerhouses like MTV spread propaganda that people should embrace differences between everybody, which is true to some extent, but where should the line be drawn? Embracing something alternative can often lead to a combination of the new and old, resulting in something new and different, borrowing the best of each things. This is the creation of a new synthesis from a synthesis and thesis. In some instances, this is not the case. Morality comes into play. There is a media push to accept homosexuality, an example of an alternative lifestyle. Shows on CBS, NBC, ABC and others all embrace homosexuality. Often times on a program, a member of the cast will come out of the closet and announce their homosexuality. The script normally calls for the show’s clown to protest the homosexuality in a very close-minded way. He/she will normally yell at the homosexual and complain about their decision, and sometimes turn homophobic. Then the rest of the cast makes him look like a fool by all supporting the homosexual, causing the protestor to either accept it or become an outcast. This further pushes the point on the populous that to be pro-gay is ok, but to be anti-gay is a terrible sin. Anyone who is anti-gay is immediately classified as a close-minded bigot. This is the hypocrisy of being alternative. To support something that is “alternative” is ok, but to be against it is too mainstream, which is looked down upon. To be alternative is to be an individual, but to have individual ideas against the alternative is scorned.

People today will go to a bookstore and read a book on philosophy, art, or humanity, merely to feel civilized and cultured. There is a definite lack of. We are philosophers, artists, and humanists on the surface; but underneath, ignorant conformists. We write passionate essays on subjects we know a great deal of information about but actually understand very little. We dress as though we have something to say when our voices are lost in the crowd. The tragic part of this all is that a large majority of youth actually does desire to make an impact upon someone or something; in other words, to be an individualist; but the very nature of today’s society prevents the youth from being anything other than the mass productions of a machine called “individuality”.

To truly be alternative, people must do as they wish for themselves, and not because other people tell them what to do. People must not buy pre-torn and pre-faded jeans with patches in them because they are cool; instead, people should buy them because they like the jeans, not because they like the status quo associated with them. If someone likes John Mayer for his music, that is understandable. To like him because lots of other people do is missing the point of being alternative. Being alternative is being an individual, and having ideals as an individual to stand out from a crowd of followers. People who are alternative believe what they want to, listen to what they want to, and live their lives the way they want to, all for themselves and not under pressure from anyone else. Are you mainstream, alternative, or just “alternative”?

discuss.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:09 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

didn't you post this a while ago ?

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:23 AM   #3
IALuder

my attention span doesnt allow me to read that.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:53 AM   #4
mavaaoife

Eh im sorry... I wish I could read that.. but erm.. I cant.. too fucking long

Http://www.myspace.com/tehren84
mavaaoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:04 AM   #5
Fatal070

Quote:
Originally posted by Mycivicjust8u
Eh im sorry... I wish I could read that.. but erm.. I cant.. too fucking long

HAHAHAHAH
Fatal070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:24 AM   #6
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

alternative rock is the off shoot of traditional rock mucis, thus an alternative. i didnt know the band members had to live according to the alternative norm. john mayer for instance may be classified as alternative(cant really say ive herd one of his songs) but that is simply because of his music. it is a genre of music now, not a lifestyle, that died in the early 90's

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:38 AM   #7
Violent Apathy

Who the fuck is John Mayer?

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:43 AM   #8
Fatal070

The talented 26-year-old singer/songwriter, John Mayer, was born on October 16 and grew up in Connecticut. (Now living in New York) He had listened to pop for most of his life, until hearing blues at age 13. Immediately after, John picked up a guitar and two years later, was performing at clubs all over.

Mayer is known for his honest lyrics and unique style of music. His music has been categorized as Pop, Rock, and even Folk.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:48 AM   #9
Violent Apathy

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:02 PM   #10
IALuder

yea, i dont know who he is. must mean he sucks at what he does.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:39 PM   #11
soundspeed

I saw him this summer in Toronto, he's pretty good, wicked guitar player.

The Only Replacement For Displacement...Is Technology
soundspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:26 PM   #12
blind34_1

fantastic article you have there. The funny thing is just last night I was at one of our crappy stores in the mall and I laughed at the jean rack. I said to my friend, why would I buy jeans that are already fucked up? I do that naturally.

These kids that buy this crap don't do any work in their clothes, but want to create the illusion that they do. (all while wearing $100+ shoes...)

Good paper, but is there more? That is a short paper, unless it was just an essay.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:52 PM   #13
MissJDM

Today, besides this post, I haven't heard the word alternative..nor did I yesterday, the day before, the day before that..and the day before that..

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:28 AM   #14
Wren57

^you live without media?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:49 AM   #15
Fatal070

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander
^you live without media?

she must...
Fatal070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 01:21 PM   #16
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Strange timing. I was just having a conversation with someone about this. I'm tired of "alternative" being thrown around so freely. That bothers me almost as much as people who only do "alternative" things because they feel it makes them cool. If you only listen to certain music because its not mainstream, you are no different from those who only listen to mainstream music.

Nice paper Wren.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 09:00 PM   #17
MissJDM

I'm a college frosh at UO, I go to school all day, having my scholarship, I'm pushed to be invloved in two clubs, I work at the bank when I'm not in school, and I recently starting my real estate school. So, I guess you can say I live without media these days. I guess I have other priorities.

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:07 AM   #18
ShEaNy

too long for me to finish lol..sorry..sounded good half way through though
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote