Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2001, 02:55 PM   #1
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

How to get sponsored?

I don't even know where to start. I would like to get a sponsor(s) for my car, but I have no idea where to look or how to go about it. I even (as lame as this may sound( looked around on the net to see if anyone had any tips. I would like to eventually enter my car in some car shows (possibly some races....maybe). My car is pretty much stock right now, but I think with the right sponsor(s) I could accomplish more than I could by myself.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to go about this?
Old 12-05-2001, 08:51 PM   #2
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

most people I know, got hooked up by "someone they know"..

Connections man.. thats the easy route..

Otherwise you need to build your car, comanies notice it and then they take interest... But this requires a good cash flow to get started!
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 07:10 AM   #3
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

The only issue i have is that most of the "shops" around here suck. The Wheel Source seem to be WAY to cocky. Coletti's I can never get decent service. Solar Shade doesn't carry much for imports. It kinda sucks around here. I guess I'll be on my own to get sponsored.

The only other one is SoundWaves which is mostly car audio though they just recently got into the import market. They are at least good guys there.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:12 AM   #4
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict
..The only other one is SoundWaves which is mostly car audio though they just recently got into the import market. They are at least good guys there.

Thats the ticket man... Try hitting up SoundWaves... Since they are new into the import thing you could be their advertisement for them.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:22 AM   #5
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice

Thats the ticket man... Try hitting up SoundWaves... Since they are new into the import thing you could be their advertisement for them.

Seems like good logic to me. But I'm not sure how I would approach them. I mean you can't just walk in and say "Will you sponsor me?". At least I don't think that'd work. I need to find some "perks" for them. Becuase ultimately the goal for the company is exposure, but exposure in a positive way. this may require some work.....
Old 12-06-2001, 07:27 AM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict

Seems like good logic to me. But I'm not sure how I would approach them. I mean you can't just walk in and say "Will you sponsor me?". At least I don't think that'd work. I need to find some "perks" for them. Becuase ultimately the goal for the company is exposure, but exposure in a positive way. this may require some work.....

Yes very true.. Maybe if you talk to them about what you need to do to get them to sponsor you they could point you in the right direction.
Old 12-06-2001, 10:56 AM   #7
3000gtvr4spd

yah it does pretty much work like that but the main thing is that you got to know people if oyu dont you go no were the only way you can really get the startum is to mae is to build your car up your self and when its starts getting pretty tight like show quality theyll come to you i know a few epople in the big show seen it just takes allot of hard work they donr come very easy
Old 12-06-2001, 11:09 AM   #8
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

It seems like it'll be some hard work. But hopefully it'll pay off. Just have to save some money this winter so I can get a good start in the spring. I still might approach SoundWaves once I get a good plan.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:08 PM   #9
RxR_Eclipse

Dude the only way to get sponsers around here is to take your car to EVERY drag race! Shit there are only about 15 guys that drag race their cars here (imports). All of them are now sponsored by some import shop or anther. Some of them even have 2-3 sponsors! Good luck man.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:38 PM   #10
3000gtvr4spd

yah mann dont worry it will happen it will just take some time dedication and money just dont give up good luck to you mann just try to make friend witht he big people and ask quistions just like that was a good idea what that guy said try to go to drag races and talk to the guys that race and sak them quistions and tell them what you are planning to do wit your acr and you have themoney to do it and later they will help you out once they see you mean it and what you really want ot do your car if you have any quistions just ask me and ill try to help oyu out as much as i can ive been in thescene for a while.
Old 12-06-2001, 01:01 PM   #11
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

I appreciate the responses. I just need to "network" and get in with the right crowd. Well since its a nasty winter I'll be waiting til spring to do anything. That'll gimme some time to get my plan laid out and maybe start talking to some people.
Old 12-08-2001, 02:31 AM   #12
3000gtvr4spd

yah thats a good idea get everything mapped out first
Old 12-08-2001, 02:57 AM   #13
azn_nite_ryder

well i'll tell you this man.... my car is sponsored and everyone has this misconception that things come free.... whn ein reality.. you just get really wicked deals..... and on some lucky instances will you get free stuff... like if you get sponsored by an actual comany depending on who it is... then they might just give it to you.. some you will get at cost and some you'll get at a discounted price.. so its hard to say.... if you're going local shops you'l get stuff at prolly their cost or a really good price...

as for how to get sponsored... well.. thats hard too.. cuz you have to get a car that practically done.. and like what other members on here said... you have to be noticed.... in other words... you have to be pretty modified....so if youre all engine then some one will prolly help you out exterior wise.. if your all show then they'll prolly help your engine... but first things first... you have to stand out....

so basically.. if you want a local shop.. just become one of their "prefered customers" then you can start talking about sponsorship.. and from there you work on it....

Nasty reality is tho.. gotta bust out the *coin* before things go from there....

I hope this answered your questions
Old 12-08-2001, 03:02 AM   #14
azn_nite_ryder

well i'll tell you this man.... my car is sponsored and everyone has this misconception that things come free.... whn ein reality.. you just get really wicked deals..... and on some lucky instances will you get free stuff... like if you get sponsored by an actual comany depending on who it is... then they might just give it to you.. some you will get at cost and some you'll get at a discounted price.. so its hard to say.... if you're going local shops you'l get stuff at prolly their cost or a really good price...

as for how to get sponsored... well.. thats hard too.. cuz you have to get a car that practically done.. and like what other members on here said... you have to be noticed.... in other words... you have to be pretty modified....so if youre all engine then some one will prolly help you out exterior wise.. if your all show then they'll prolly help your engine... but first things first... you have to stand out....

so basically.. if you want a local shop.. just become one of their "prefered customers" then you can start talking about sponsorship.. and from there you work on it....

Nasty reality is tho.. gotta bust out the *coin* before things go from there....

I hope this answered your questions
Old 12-08-2001, 11:49 AM   #15
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Thanks azn_nite_ryder.

Yeah I wasn't expecting anything for free just maybe some discounts of some sort.

It looks like I'm going to have to get my car built up prior. We'll see though. I just don't know if I should build it up engine wise or exterior wise. It seems like the people with exterior mods get noticed first. Maybe I'll build up my engine and do it the hard way.

Thanks for everyone's help....
Old 12-08-2001, 11:55 AM   #16
Boosted3g

Well the best way to do it is a long process that will take a good bit of work. First get yourself a booklet and go all out on it. Have pictures, time slips, where you race, how much you race, what you plan to race. Then put together a proposal. It basically says this is what ill do for you and this is what I want you to do for me. You can be blunt but dont be greedy. Also get statements from track officials or judges that you know and have a statement from them in the proposal. One thing you have to remember is if you say you are gonna do it you must do it or you can forget about it next year. Say you say you are gonna make 8 events this year and you make 6 thats not cool. Remeber a lot of companies know each other and they pass the word along on deadbeats. So there you go and it works. For your first sponserships dont ask for money or even free stuff. Ask for discounts or services. Hell do like I did and have a place with a dyno sponser you and ask for unlimited dyno time. It costs them next to nothing and they will probably go for it. Hope that helps.
Old 12-08-2001, 12:45 PM   #17
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Very good advice.

The only issue with Ohio is that there isn't a whole lot of import anythings. I mean we're lucky to see one decent car show. There's alot of old muscle car shows, but entering in that won't get me anywhere.
As far as the track goes, that may be my best bet. I've only gone once. When I went though I did see a few imports there.
I appreciate the ideas there Boosted. Its got my wheels turning (one's in my head).

Thanks....
Old 12-09-2001, 11:27 PM   #18
azn_nite_ryder

its not that hard either way... if you do decide to go all motor first just make sure to go to all or most of the race events... just go up on sites and check out where the big races are at and go there.... u gotta dump a hell of a lot of money to get noticed for speed.. usually 10's and under will get you noticed...
Old 12-10-2001, 05:44 AM   #19
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by azn_nite_ryder
its not that hard either way... if you do decide to go all motor first just make sure to go to all or most of the race events... just go up on sites and check out where the big races are at and go there.... u gotta dump a hell of a lot of money to get noticed for speed.. usually 10's and under will get you noticed...

Yeah its not gonna be cheap that's for sure. But that's what winter is for.... Saving all your money for the spring/summer.
Old 12-11-2001, 02:43 PM   #20
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

well personality is a major plus. if you are a dick then you can forget it becuae you have to talk you rride up to reps for comapnies in some cases or at shows to people that want to know how you did this or that etc.

Another big ths is a scrapbook of your ride. the transformations that it has taken on from stock to current.

Let them know what shows you are lookig to attend and what your interests may be in them as a sponsor (entry fees,free products,disc products,show booths etc)

I hope this might help you out a little in your journey to be sponsored and best of luck to you. If you suceed let us know what you did..

Old 12-11-2001, 03:02 PM   #21
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Yeah this will be a long one. But its ok. I just got a second job for some fun money. Hopefully I can accomplish most of the motor by summer..... or at least that's my goal.