Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > New Kid on the Block
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2002, 12:04 PM   #1
eXwiLL94

Clutch Questions?

Hey everyone. Wondering if anyone can help me out with some clutch questions:

1) How do you know if your clutch is worn out?
2) What does it mean when your clutch is slipping?
3) How do you wear out your clutch (ie. if I keep my foot on it, fully depressed, will that wear it out. Actually, is that a bad idea, as long as I don't have it partially disengaged)?
4) How long does a clutch usually last for (# of years or miles)?

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:36 PM   #2
4jacks

Sup ExWill... Welcome to the boards, I MAY be able to shed a little light on the question, I just had the clutch in my Bro's 95 Eclipse GST replaced... Basicly we knew the Clutch was Gone, becuase it would not Drive anywhere Well that's how bad we let it get to, before getting it replaced... I think usually if your having a lot of trouble shifting gears, and getting some motion out of first gear, it's a good indication of a clutch problem.
I'm not really 100% sure about Q #2 but I beilve it describe the above and means you need a new clutch.
Q#3 riding the clutch will wear it out. (using the clutch as a foot rest while driving) If you use the clutch properly you should be fine. It is a mechanical device so it's not going to last forever, but things like toggling the clutch to do burn outs and driving in harsh will help wear it out quicker.
Q#4 I dunno.. i'm driving my first standard.

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 02:07 AM   #3
mylittlecivic

i just had mine replaced it stopped working so it was bad plus we knew it was going out cuz before it was realy hard to shift...

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 02:10 AM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

1) It probably will slip under hard launch, or eventually easier launches. Extreme cases, won't go into gear, car will just rev w/ pedal disengaged.

2) Engine revs, car doesn't go... or it will rev, then the revs will drop and it will go - in other words, it doensn't grab well.

3) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that only wears out the throwout bearings

4) Totally depends on use.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 11:28 AM   #5
eXwiLL94

Wow! Thanks for all the great advice. Currently, while driving, when I am slowing down for a turn (ie. I'm already in 3rd), I depress the clutch and shift to 2nd. I keep the clutch depressed all the way, while braking. Then I make the turn and slowly let off the clutch and step on the throttle. Is this bad for my clutch? Should I just shift to 2nd as I am exiting the turn? Also, at a stopsign or at a redlight, I usually depress the clutch completely and leave it on 1st (instead of shifting to neutral). Should I change these bad habits of mine? What are throwout bearings? Thanks !!!!! I love HS. Lot's of great posts and friendly people who shares their indepth knowledge of cars and other things Honda.
Old 05-14-2002, 11:38 AM   #6
FasterThanLight

Quote:
Should I just shift to 2nd as I am exiting the turn??
i say that's a question of personal preference more than anything else
Quote:
I usually depress the clutch completely and leave it on 1st (instead of shifting to neutral). Should I change these bad habits of mine?
yes, then yes again. the throwout bearing will wear, but it's not an item that wears out quickly. plus, as a general rule of thumb, i don't keep the car in gear at a stop... just in case i slip...
Quote:
What are throwout bearings?
the throwout bearing... is the bearing that presses against the clutch hub when you depress the clutch pedal. the reason it wears out when you press it down, is that it's under somewhat high stress/load and consists of metal-to-metal contact.

oh, and where are my manners... welcome!
Old 05-15-2002, 05:11 PM   #7
4jacks

That's about how I drive...

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote