::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2002, 12:12 AM   #1
richmclaren

SRS light on...help

I was doing some work on my car (95 civic ex) this weekend and I had to remove both airbags to take the dash off. I took all precautions in removing and reinstalling the units. When I plugged everything back in and started the car up, the SRS light came on. Does anyone know how to run a diagnostic code or to reset it? Thanks for the help.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:31 AM   #2
VieT916

Re: SRS light on...help

Quote:
Originally posted by richmclaren
I was doing some work on my car (95 civic ex) this weekend and I had to remove both airbags to take the dash off. I took all precautions in removing and reinstalling the units. When I plugged everything back in and started the car up, the SRS light came on. Does anyone know how to run a diagnostic code or to reset it? Thanks for the help.

Maybe resetting the ECU would help?
Old 08-30-2002, 07:59 AM   #3
ohiochica

nope you have to have to take it to a dealer for them to service it.

Ohio HST members please read this
ohiochica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 08:19 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

usually the airbacgs have their own computer system, and it's not recommended to mess with it. have it taken care to a dealer. you do not want them to blow in your face.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 08:23 AM   #5
XdiscontensionX

while we're on the light topic... anyone know how to reset the "maintenance required" indicator?
Old 08-30-2002, 08:28 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i don't know about your car but mine has a switch in the cluster to reset it. i've heard that on yours it should be in your glove box or something.

Old 08-30-2002, 10:13 AM   #7
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

You could try this, I dont know if it would work for your year car. It may.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/diy/reset_srs.cfm
Old 08-30-2002, 12:00 PM   #8
nonovurbizniz

unplug your battery or pull the fuse to your computer (it's in the fuse box under the hood)
Old 08-31-2002, 02:37 PM   #9
VieT916

Quote:
Originally posted by ohiochica
nope you have to have to take it to a dealer for them to service it.

that sucks. I wonder how much they'll charge him for it. I was at a local dealer yesterday buying some clips for my bumper, and I saw a sign that said $50 to reset the maintenance light.
Old 09-01-2002, 01:38 AM   #10
richmclaren

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
You could try this, I dont know if it would work for your year car. It may.

http://www.7thgencivic.com/diy/reset_srs.cfm

Thanks. I'll try this one as I think it might work. (Oh, and thanks to everyone else too. )
Old 09-01-2002, 01:44 AM   #11
richmclaren

Quote:
Originally posted by VieT916

that sucks. I wonder how much they'll charge him for it. I was at a local dealer yesterday...I saw a sign that said $50 to reset the maintenance light.

Yeah, that's crazy. My maintenance light in my Integra resets with the push of a little button under the dash. I have an automatic and in the gauge cluster there's a little green light that surrounds the "D4." It went out and the dealer told me it would cost $87 to replace it. My jaw dropped and I said, "That much?! Why?!" He said, in a very matter-of-fact tone of voice, "Well...we have to take the whole cluster out." I said, "Just give me the bulb (which cost $4) and I'll do it myself." It only took about 15 minutes. I know they charge around $80 an hour for labor and apparently they either round up or it takes them that long to do it.
Old 09-03-2002, 01:47 PM   #12
ripthesystem

richmclaren

did you ever get this fixed? if so how?!!
I am having the exact same problem in my 95 civ lx.. I have tried everything everyone has suggested and no progress. Don't want to have to pay $$$ to the dealer so he can just flip some switch or the equivalent.

help!
ripthesystem
Old 09-03-2002, 07:20 PM   #13
richmclaren

Quote:
Originally posted by ripthesystem
richmclaren

did you ever get this fixed? if so how?!!
I am having the exact same problem in my 95 civ lx.. I have tried everything everyone has suggested and no progress. Don't want to have to pay $$$ to the dealer so he can just flip some switch or the equivalent.

This is actually happening to my friend's Civic. He hasn't tried anything yet. (The 7th gen Civic one posted by Racing Rice doesn't work?) We're both going home to see our parents this weekend, and his house is where he has all his tools. I think he's going to mess around with it then, plus my neighbor is a really good mechanic (he works on my car when it's crapping out on me), so I'll ask him about it too. I'll post back here when I have some news for you. In the meantime, see if you can find any other info. I'm sure my neighbor will know something, so don't go to the dealer just yet.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:16 PM   #14
ohiochica

if you disconected the battery then it is damaged or it is not properly plugged in...if you did not disconnect the battery then then teh computer is probably shot and you are very lucky it did not blow up in your face.
this is coming from my boyfirend who is an acura/mitsubishi/honda trained tech. he said srs are very fragile that is why you have to have a special certificate and training to work on them. even setting it down on the interior carpet can mess them up bad enough that they wont work. your best bet is to swallow your pride and take it to a dealer or take it to a tech that will reset it on the side for you.

good luck your going to need it!
Becky and Brian

Old 09-04-2002, 01:07 PM   #15
ripthesystem

I have disconnected the battery and drained the capacitors. I have looked at all the wiring and visually checked the connections. The ONLY thing I have ever done to the SRS system was unplugging it directly beneath the steering wheel(as per the Haynes Manual). I unplugged it long enought to get the gauges out and my Indiglos in. When I replugged it in the light wouldn't go off.

this makes NO sense as it worked fine before. So something tells me that when it is unplugged the SRS system sees it as an error and turns the light on even when there is no error. My guess is that the SRS 'system' is fine but just the 'light' needs reset.

Granted it's just a guess but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the dealer won't be handing me any vaseline with my bill if I take it there...

grrrr
ripthesystem
Old 09-04-2002, 01:29 PM   #16
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by ripthesystem
The ONLY thing I have ever done to the SRS system was unplugging it directly beneath the steering wheel(as per the Haynes Manual). I unplugged it long enought to get the gauges out and my Indiglos in. When I replugged it in the light wouldn't go off.

i've heard of that happening in accords when installing gauges. i never took my airbag out when i put the gauges in. from what i know most of the problems were serviced by the dealer

Old 09-05-2002, 08:55 AM   #17
ohiochica

well,
i talked to brian again and he said if the battery was disconnected then there should be no problem. as for refusing to take it to a dealer, that is your choice. i personally wont let just anyone touch my car either. lucky for me brian is a honda tech and i have a honda.
just remember if that light is on then it might not function properly in the event of an accident. and i can say one thing for sure i had 2 very bad car wrecks and both times i didnt have my seatbelt on and the airbag saved my life twice!
good luck,
Becky and Brian

Old 09-05-2002, 09:54 AM   #18
ripthesystem

Hondaman.. Doh! While I was actually digging out the cluster I realized that there was no point to my disconnecting the airbags as I wasn't doing anything around those wires at all. Damn Hayne manual made it sound like I would kill myself if I unplugged the speedometer oh well live and learn

Becky and Brian..

There is a chance that I reconnected the battery while the SRS was disconnected to check if the gauges worked. That's probably what did it. Thanks for your concern in this matter though. I'm going to wait the a few days to see what richmclaren digs up but if that's fruitless I'll have to bite the bullet and take it in. I'm just pretty poor right now and don't need another bill I can't afford.. Dont' worry though. I always wear my belt

thx all
ripthesystem
Old 09-05-2002, 02:25 PM   #19
nonovurbizniz

did you jump the short protector for the srs system when you unplugged it?
Old 09-06-2002, 08:49 AM   #20
ripthesystem

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
did you jump the short protector for the srs system when you unplugged it?

No. Does that mean I was supposed to? Guess I'll send my bill to Haynes for not mentioning that