::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2002, 11:44 PM   #1
Aniliticalstud

Advice on intakes (amoung other things)

What's up this is my first post. I have a 98 Civic EX. I'm prob getting an intake soon and i was wondering if any of you had advice on brand and type (short ram or cold air) I know they say short ram gives more torque and the say the cold air give more high end... if anyone's had it is it that noticable? I've had my eye on the Weapon-R Dragon intake also so if anyone know some crap about that too. Also, it seems that everyone is burning me once i get to third gear (which i guess is where my lack of hp shows lmao) anyone got some solutions on how to pick up some high end power without stuffing a turbo or super charger in my car?... I have an exaust already which i've been told is one of the best sounding exaust's on an import...anyway any advice would be more than useful.. thanks...

-Scott
Old 07-10-2002, 11:59 PM   #2
VieT916

I've used both the AEM CAI and AEM short-ram on my Civic -- when I was "all-motor" -- and the only time I noticed a difference in power between the two was when the weather was 85-degrees or more outside. Other than that, they both performed the same. And all intakes are pretty much the same. The only difference is build quality and what type of filter they use. But it basically comes down to what filter-on-a-stick you want to buy.

P.S. -- I've read/heard LOTS of reviews on the Weapon*R stuff, and they're all bad. My friend used to have one on his old Legend. The freaking mounting thing they give you broke off on him. They're noted for that and the fact that their filter sucks and so do their rubber connectors. Moral of this post: don't buy Weapon*R.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:05 AM   #3
Aniliticalstud

Well i live in new orleans where it's hot as ass all the time lmao. And the coldest it gets is like 70 degrees. I just am not sold on spending another 150 bucks on something that i can't fee the diffrence on.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:39 AM   #4
VieT916

Yeah, you really won't get much power from intakes. If you really wanted to, though, you could remove your stock airbox resonator and install a drop-in K&N airfilter. I ran that setup, too (before I decided to buy the AEM short-ram afterwards), and it performed the same as my AEM cold-air. It also had a nice little growl to it. And at least this way, your airfilter will have some sort of heatshield to protect it from the hot air in the engine bay.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:01 AM   #5
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Intakes are an ok starting point, but unless you get into the internals you arent really going to see much. I say save yourself a couple bucks and just get a K&N drop in filter for now. Then later if you decide to start doing some internals go with something else.. Unless you just want it for looks..
Old 07-11-2002, 07:56 AM   #6
Aniliticalstud

So by doing the K and N b/c i think i'll do it tonight, do i need to take the whole box off and stuff it on the end of the shaft? Or is it just like a filer replacement.....?
Old 07-11-2002, 09:27 AM   #7
AzCivic

Its a filter replacement the air box resonator is actually down in the bumper area. Its only function is to reduce noise and as a result it inhibits air flow. If you wanna win races but don't want a turbo or supercharger then get nitrous. A 50 shot can be run without worrying about reliability, its also only 500$.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 09:39 PM   #8
Aniliticalstud

you got a link or a page showin me where it is and how to take it out? thx...
Old 07-11-2002, 10:36 PM   #9
Fatal070

u should go witht the full cold air i have a AEM full cold air very nice and i could notice the hp increase but if u get a short ram it would only help if u had a hood scoop or u would just suck up engine heat. my 2 cense
Old 07-11-2002, 10:43 PM   #10
VieT916

Basically, just remove your front bumper, and you'll see it. It'll be a BIG plastic box with two tubes attached to it and will be on the passenger-side of your car. Trust me, you can't miss it. There are a few 10 mm bolts holding it to the chassis, so just unscrew them all, and it'll just fall out. There is one tricky bolt, though. You have to peel back a little bit of your fenderwell lining to get to it. Just remove maybe three clips holding the fenderwell lining to the car (the ones closest to the passenger-side headlight), peel it back (but be careful not to break it), and you'll see it ... it's a gold bolt like the rest of them.

The bumper is easy: pop the hood, remove all the black clips that are visibly attached to the bumper, remove two bolts underneath the car, and remove two screws (one in each wheelwell underneath the headlight ... they'll be black in color, so you might need a flashlight to see them, but they're pretty visible). Once all those are removed, just give a gentle tug on the bumper, and you can pull it off the car.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:31 AM   #11
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

you dont have to remove the bumper to get the box out.. just pull out the fender lining and get to it that way.. If you look at it you will see what Im talking about.. its easy really...
Old 07-12-2002, 01:44 PM   #12
VieT916

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
you dont have to remove the bumper to get the box out.. just pull out the fender lining and get to it that way.. If you look at it you will see what Im talking about.. its easy really...

Actually, yeah, when I took my airbox resonator out to install my old CAI, I just dropped it from underneath the car. I removed a bit of the splash guard, pulled the bumper a little bit forward, and let it fall out.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:22 PM   #13
Aniliticalstud

I did it, i ended up takin off the bumper anyway, just b/c i wanted to do it lol. I can say i notice a some diffrence, lol but my exaust is so loud i cant really hear much diffrence. I feel the diffrence more when i hit second and my wheels bite real good. Anyway thanks everyone that helped, it was pretty frickin easy .Also, by any chance has anyone cleared out thier headlights yet , if so what did ya put back in there so there would be no moistier, b/c i'm not payin 40 bucks for a new set of headlights every other week b/c thier popin... if i do clear them out, i may put like blue tint on the inside..... so i can get one more ticket when iget pulled over...

$1400 in speeding fines and still rollin
Old 07-15-2002, 07:50 AM   #14
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Did you go with the K&N filter?
Old 07-15-2002, 08:23 AM   #15
Aniliticalstud

yeah k & n all the way. I do actually feel the diffrence... i also put in some plat spark plugs in yesterday.