::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2002, 08:06 PM   #1
THORBEAST

how do I get a stock stereo out

I friend has a 98 civic, it has a stock stereo and I amtrying to hook up some stuff but I can't get the stereo out any one know how the heck I do this
Old 09-17-2002, 09:28 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Well this is how to do it on a 97 Civic...Im sure its the same
------------------------
take out the center armrest (2screws (one on each side in the very back and the 2 that hold this part to the cuphlder panel) and the cupholder part (4screws more).

lower the glove box all the way down (push the walls inward to get it past the nubs...that prevent this from happening.

also unclip the knee panel on the driver side...pain in the ass at times...gentle tugging not ripping at it (the clips are at the top near the steering wheel) There might be some obvious screws there too...Im not sure, Im not looking at my car panels at 10:30 at night

now you can take out the center panel where the cigarette lighter is too (maybe 4 screws (2 on the panel and 1 off on either sides))

now just unhook the radio from the wire harmess and take out the little bolt that holds it in (crawl up under the dash and look, you can see it plain as day).

In my car I had to keep power and that green plug to the factory radio because of keyless entry and dome light probs (I put the oe radio under the passenger seat). You shouldnt have that problem, though, with a DX

If anyone has anything that I forgot or screwed up go ahead and fix the problem ...but I think thats right.

Also, you could just put it in that little emtpy spot where factory cd changers go, that kinda hides it and lets you put in an LCD or something else in the factory hole...fun fun fun.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 11:25 PM   #3
doownek
1st Gear

Re: how do I get a stock stereo out

Quote:
Originally posted by THORBEAST
I friend has a 98 civic, it has a stock stereo and I amtrying to hook up some stuff but I can't get the stereo out any one know how the heck I do this

heres a page with pics and everything...hope it helps

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/466013.pdf
doownek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 04:42 PM   #4
THORBEAST

hey thanks,
I think I will me able to this. I am just hooking up an amp and some subs thats all. she already has the cd player in that empty spot at the bottom. thanks again
Old 09-18-2002, 04:58 PM   #5
yin_immortal

hey pdiggitydog...if the stock radio is bothering you being under the seat, or if its ugly of whatever...you can remove the front of the radio and it fits nicely in the dash...nestled under where the new radio will go...it makes things easier in my opinion. the front of the factory radio just pops right off
Old 09-18-2002, 08:56 PM   #6
pdiggitydogg

hey thats great info, thanks for telling me. Yeah it is kinda ugly with a shit 'o wires traveling from the armrest under the seat. Im putting my original lcd panel in that empty spot though, are you sure that it fits well enough?
Old 09-19-2002, 10:10 AM   #7
yin_immortal

it will fit fine...i have done lots of these lately, i install at circuit city. (god forgive me for working there) I had a girl come in who lost her keyless entry remote and needed the original radio back out to program it...i put the front piece back on and it worked fine. if you look at the radio....the only part you need to retain is the aluminum part. so its very small when it goes in the dash, you can wedge it way up in there. good luck if you decide to do it, let me know how it comes out.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:32 AM   #8
pdiggitydogg

circuit city eh? Yeah I went there to get my alpine head, I had to special order it. Three weeks later they call me and tell me that my order will be delayed a week more because of shipping difficulties. A week after that they call me again and tell me they dont even carry that high of Alpine and the unit was display only. So after 4 weeks of waiting I have to go in and get my cash back so I can order it from Crutchfied. So, sorry if you take this personally...**** Circuit City. But yeah I'll do that change of place this weekend when I put the lcd back in. If you say that it works, then it will work.