::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2003, 09:07 PM   #1
Wren57

Flywheel Debate... 18+ xxx

Ok, I've been reading a discussion about flyhweels and their relation to weight etc and have found, as I knew before, that there are many different opinions on them. I figured it would be good/informative to have a debate here on the pros and cons of a lightened flywheel, assuming of course it is high-quality. So far here is what I have come up with...

PROS:
Less rotating inertial mass = more free power from engine to wheels
Revs climb faster
Saves gas

CONS:
Slightly jerkier shifts (up and down)
Revs fall quicker between shifts (contributing to jerkiness)
Potential high-speed power loss?!????

Feel free to add/comment.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:15 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

I have the same concerns
I was also wondering about slow driving (ie parking lots)

"18+ xxx"?
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 09:17 PM   #3
Wren57

There have been several threads about this that have gotten quite out of control, not sure why... I figured the "18+ xxx" would bring in more people, sex sells
Old 04-15-2003, 09:39 PM   #4
pauls-si

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander
There have been several threads about this that have gotten quite out of control, not sure why... I figured the "18+ xxx" would bring in more people, sex sells

You tricked me...
Old 04-15-2003, 09:54 PM   #5
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by pauls-si
You tricked me...

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 10:19 PM   #6
juvenile

Quote:
You tricked me...
Old 04-15-2003, 10:57 PM   #7
firstgeardude

Quote:
You tricked me...

i was like flywheel... xxx?? now i see that theres no xxx
Old 04-15-2003, 11:01 PM   #8
pdiggitydogg

well highlander...looked like your idea for a post is turning out to be a huge flop...
Old 04-15-2003, 11:13 PM   #9
AzCivic

I have a Factory flywheel( YES A FACTORY ONE) that has been lightened from 18lbs, to 10lbs. I have had it for quite awhile now and there are no I REPEAT NOOOOOOOO, cons to getting a lightened flywheel. Driving around town fast or slow its no different except with the car in gear and you let off the gas the cars slows at a slower rate(did that make sense?) which makes the car LESS "jerky". Oh wait there is one con, faster acceleration!
Ooops sorry thats a pro isnt it. Shortly I'm going to go with an even lighter one from ACT, so if anyone wants mine in a couple of months i'll be selling it.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 11:20 PM   #10
pdiggitydogg

^where'd you get it lightened at?
Old 04-15-2003, 11:23 PM   #11
AzCivic

I bought it from the fine folks at www.sohfast.com
Old 04-16-2003, 10:01 AM   #12
cashizslick

Ok, well here's how i see it. A lighter flywheel is a great idea. Our hondas need to be able to rev up as fast as possible, plus, the slightly jerkier shifts will give the car more of a "sporty feel". Because the revs fall quicker between shifts means that you will have a car that would be great for autocross because the quick breaking of the engine will alow you to control your car in the turns w/out relying as heavily on the breaks.

Besides - if u are building your car for performance, you will have to sacrifice some "comfort options" anyways (notice the difference between riding w/rims and stock wheels?)
Old 04-16-2003, 12:06 PM   #13
nonovurbizniz

cashslick... the revs drop faster in BETWEEN shifts... the car slows down in gear SLOWER not faster. A lightended Flywheel will reduce the ability to suplement brake braking with engine braking....

besides that the only real problems with lightened flywheels is quality of manufacture... some of them are not balanced well some are a little warped... some are 2 pieces that like to get back to being 2 pieces...

over all there are no HUGE cons... but they are there..

A.. try launching at 3-5k with a lightened flywheel... it just doesn't have as much inertia behind it when you pop the clutch... it's not impossible but it's far more effective in a stock unit.
B. there can be probs with the starter properly engaging the flywheel. (mostly on jdm flywheels as they are slightly dif. then ours)
C. all the little stuff mentioned b4
Old 04-16-2003, 03:07 PM   #14
cashizslick

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz
the revs drop faster in BETWEEN shifts... the car slows down in gear SLOWER not faster.

Duhh, but if you are driving the car in a racing manner, then you will be shifting extrememly quickly so the RPM's wont drop at all while racing.

If lightweight flywheels make your car slower, they wouldnt be put on cars built to go faster.

Maybe a lightened flywheel is not the best idea for a comfortable drive - but who cares, you can now go faster!
Old 04-16-2003, 06:01 PM   #15
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Because the revs fall quicker between shifts means that you will have a car that would be great for autocross because the quick breaking of the engine will alow you to control your car in the turns w/out relying as heavily on the breaks.

I was responding to what you said... seemed to me like you thought you would get BETTER engine "breaking" out of it. thus taking stress off your "breaks"... it's the opposite... your engine braking is reduced forcing you to rely MORE on your brakes.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:23 PM   #16
cashizslick

Quote:
I was responding to what you said... seemed to me like you thought you would get BETTER engine "breaking" out of it. thus taking stress off your "breaks"... it's the opposite... your engine braking is reduced forcing you to rely MORE on your brakes.

If the Rev's fall quicker, the car will slow down quicker right? Thus giving you better engine breaking. Ya know how when your in first gear and your rpms get high - 4k & up - ever let the clutch out? Your car jerks and your engine slows quickly when you do that - a light flywheel will accelerate that effect.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:24 PM   #17
nonovurbizniz

the revs drop fast in neutral... in gear off throttle they fall slower than they would w/o lightened Flywheel... there is not as much inirtia behind the spinning assembly anymore... It's not severe because most of the engine braking is accomplished by the compression of the cylinders not so much the weight of the rotating mass... but it would be worse engine braking not better.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:04 PM   #18
Wren57

yup, nonov is right... if the clutch is depressed, you could be at 7k rpm and be braking just as fast as if the engine were at 2k rpm... because the engine is not connected to the transmission therefore not connected to the wheels so it has nothing to do with the ground and/or any type of power transfer...
Old 04-16-2003, 11:20 PM   #19
AzCivic

Launching is a little more difficult, thats about the only real con. And the revs dont drop all that much faster, so as long as you can shift decent you'll have no problems. Bottom line: if your getting your clutch replaced, just have a lightweight flywheel put in, you'll be VERY glad you did.
Old 04-17-2003, 10:48 AM   #20
cashizslick

Quote:
the revs drop fast in neutral... in gear off throttle they fall slower than they would w/o lightened Flywheel... there is not as much inirtia behind the spinning assembly anymore... It's not severe because most of the engine braking is accomplished by the compression of the cylinders not so much the weight of the rotating mass... but it would be worse engine braking not better.

Ok, i c i c - i figured it would have the same effect in gear. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:18 AM   #21
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

you guys forgot to mention that a lightened flywheel expecialy has been weakened thus making it more prone to shattering. chances are it will not shatter... but a buzz saw flying at the passenger would suck. if you go for it, i'd recommend buying the best quality one you can afford. in the long run a well crafted flywheel will help eliminate any problems you could run into with a cheaper made one(starter not lining up, abnormal wear on clutch, buzz saw, etc). my friend has the lightest flywheel JUN makes for his car (200sx ser sr20de powered) and he has had the car stall or bog very bad a few times when the rpms drop from highest rpms, you can blip the throttle a tad right at 1k rpms just to keep it from getting real low, it shouldnt be a problem, but its another thing to consider. your going to be taking away from the ability to not think about every little part of your car when driving.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 11:58 AM   #22
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
some are 2 pieces that like to get back to being 2 pieces...

I got too caught up in being witty by that I meant they break ( I know I forgot to mention 1 pieces do too).

But word... especially stockers that get lathed down... and the REALLLY light ones... they just aren't able to handle the load put on them.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:02 PM   #23
AzCivic

SOOOOOOO has anyone actually seen one break??? Or are you guys just using that great common sense thing that you think will apply to anything you dont really know?

Please, saying I heard about it on some other forum doesnt count.

I have a stock one, I've launched quite a few times on it and have had it for quite awhile, it hasnt turned into a buzz saw nor is there anything abnormal with the way it functions.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:10 PM   #24
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
you guys forgot to mention that a lightened flywheel expecialy has been weakened thus making it more prone to shattering. chances are it will not shatter... but a buzz saw flying at the passenger would suck. if you go for it, i'd recommend buying the best quality one you can afford. in the long run a well crafted flywheel will help eliminate any problems you could run into with a cheaper made one(starter not lining up, abnormal wear on clutch, buzz saw, etc). my friend has the lightest flywheel JUN makes for his car (200sx ser sr20de powered) and he has had the car stall or bog very bad a few times when the rpms drop from highest rpms, you can blip the throttle a tad right at 1k rpms just to keep it from getting real low, it shouldnt be a problem, but its another thing to consider. your going to be taking away from the ability to not think about every little part of your car when driving.

On a low powered Honda, is shattering really a concern? Don't they make scatter guards if you're worried about it, or do they require special fabrication?

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 04:26 PM   #25
nonovurbizniz

yes.... when I worked at a gas station a kid got a lightweight 1 piece aluminum flywheel installed and it blew into a MILLION pieces... there was about a 2" space actually remaining with teeth still on it... the rest was all gone down to the where it bolts to the crank. I'm not positive but I think there was only 1 or 2 small wholes in the tranny case.

And insidentally it's far more intelligent to make ANY concerns known when that's the purpose of the thread...

If you read it on another forum or not it still happened and happens on a semi-regular basis... just because you have 1 doesn't mean that the other 2 million out there have lasted or will last as long or as well as yours has.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:38 PM   #26
Wren57

Thats why I said in the original post to assume it is of high-quality. Sure if you buy a cheap $90 3lb flywheel it will shatter. A one piece chromoly flywheel, however, is manufactured well. The particular one in question is for the 350z/g35... as I have been told by the parents I can't make and mods to the car, I need to find a way to do it without adding obvious things, so a flywheel comes into mind... weighs 14.5lbs whereas stock is 37... made by JUN
Old 04-17-2003, 06:09 PM   #27
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i'd recommend keeping it stock personaly. its too nice of a car to ruin with mods IMO

Old 04-17-2003, 06:32 PM   #28
Wren57

^this interests me^
I dont mean to flame you or whatever, that is completely not the point, but where do you draw the line of something being "too nice"? Is it a money value, or is it a brand of car (lexus, lincoln, infiniti etc vs toyota, ford, nissan)? If it is a money thing, well a TT Supra was around 50k new, and that is certainly a tuners car. If it is a name thing, what about the IS300? Im not insulting, just curious as to this view.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:32 PM   #29
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander
^this interests me^
I dont mean to flame you or whatever, that is completely not the point, but where do you draw the line of something being "too nice"? Is it a money value, or is it a brand of car (lexus, lincoln, infiniti etc vs toyota, ford, nissan)? If it is a money thing, well a TT Supra was around 50k new, and that is certainly a tuners car. If it is a name thing, what about the IS300? Im not insulting, just curious as to this view.

well... the truth is, i look at my car and think.... sure ive got all this stuff done to it to make it faster, and wow it looks great. then whenever im going down the road, i see a g35 or a 350z or a z06 or something like that and think to myself, damn thats a badass car. the car its self can back its self up, why not keep it how the manufatures wanted it to look. look at the car in your sig... can you honestly tell me that dosnt look nice as hell. its got the whole package. style speed, comfort, and luxory. thats what makes the car badass. the flywheel may make your car feel more like a racecar and you can zip around, but its not gonna make you faster really. ive seen too many track times that people dont improve on at all with lightened flywheels. so now you dont have the comfort cause your never going to be able to just chill in the car, you always have to "drive" it.

TUI in progess if it dosnt make sence

Old 04-17-2003, 11:40 PM   #30
nonovurbizniz

^ I see what your saying and moderately agree...

but if you do the right things the car is much better than it was...

Seriously look at AMG... you ever rode in one of those... or M5's they're just suped up standard luxury cars.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:46 AM   #31
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
^ I see what your saying and moderately agree...

but if you do the right things the car is much better than it was...

Seriously look at AMG... you ever rode in one of those... or M5's they're just suped up standard luxury cars.

thats a factory package... thats different. i dont care what anyone says, my car is less reliable because of the mods i have done to it.

Old 04-18-2003, 03:39 PM   #32
nonovurbizniz

AMG wasn't always a factory package... they used to (and still will) modify them in the aftermarket.

Same goes for Ruf for porsche and ac schnitzer for bmw.

People modify expensive cars because it makes them better.. some mods degrade certain aspects but wisely chosen and installed parts don't effect reliability or ride comfort.

I have NO reliability issues with my car and it's modified.