::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2002, 03:58 PM   #1
eXwiLL94

Turbo on Stock Civic?

I'm considering getting a Greddy Turbo for my stock Civic. It's a '94 Civic EX, with 112,000 miles on it. I was wondering if it's even a good idea to get a turbo, since the engine is old and has many miles on it. Also, do I need to get/replace any parts for my car (clutch, brakes, etc)? Does the turbo add a lot of noise to the car, such as exhausts and CAIs do? What would be the estimated cost of labour in installing the turbo? Thanks
Old 05-23-2002, 07:23 PM   #2
MrCLoWnY

i think investing in a turbo kit will be worth it for your car. However, since you do have alot of miles on it, you might want to check the compression on your motor to make sure that everything is in good working order.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:42 PM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

get your compression checked like cLoWnY said along with seal inspection. are you aware of the history of your car? has the scheduled maintenance been performed in a timely manner? to eliminate an investment loss in a turbo kit, u have to have an idea about those things. turbos are not as risky as some people think proper tuning with fuel and spark can prolong and safeguard your engine......my 2 cents

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 09:48 AM   #4
JaY D. Em

Let me put it this way, we installed an F-MAX kit on my friends civic when it had close to 80,000 miles on it... Yeah that was in 99... 3 years later, still rollin' around on stock internals running 13lbs of boost on the street and still running 12's (haha, we all are!!! ) He doesn't even use his turbo timer no more, unless we go on long trips...

I must say though, compression and leak down test before you put it on and at least every month or 2 after. Make sure you replace all the gaskets and belts... Timing belt especially. And the best upgrade you can do if you're gonna run stock internals is get a thicker headgasket. F-Max gives them with their kits now, free of charge. heheh, wish they were doing that when i bought mine!!! Make sure that you retard the timing .1-.2 per lb. of boost. And just have enough fuel and change the oil with synthetic every 2000...

Turbo definitely ain't a toy but if you treat it good it'll treat you good!!!
Old 06-21-2002, 09:49 AM   #5
JaY D. Em

Oh yeah, and make sure your cooling system is good!
Old 06-21-2002, 05:18 PM   #6
MrCLoWnY

I think boostin 13lbs on stock internal is lil too much. But if he did it. Good for him........ Me on the other hand have a heavy foot so i think i'll blow the motor. THats why i got me a JG Block......
Old 06-25-2002, 03:57 PM   #7
JaY D. Em

What ever floats your boat but not even a JG block can be ragged on all day... Heavy foot or not, we all know turbo's not a toy... Well, maybe the greddy kit...
Old 06-25-2002, 11:44 PM   #8
ShEaNy

any turbos for the F22? THose things sound fun to have....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 11:54 PM   #9
juvenile

what's wrong with Greddy?
Old 06-28-2002, 05:14 AM   #10
turbod97ex

There is nothing wrong with the Greddy kit. If what you want to do is make your stock Civic or Integra a real joy to drive and you are not planning on dumping several thousand into your setup, the Greddy kit is ideal for you. Because of it's size, it spools quicker than the larger FMAX and Drag kits and, because of it's size, you will find it wanting at top end speeds at times.

The Greddy kit is a complete kit for the SOHC that costs $1486 and less. The kit does lack two non-essential but very advisable parts, a BOV and Intercooler. Add a $170 Type S BOV and a $300 XBIRD intercooler, and you are boosting reliably, for around $2000.

It all depends on what your goals are in choosing what turbo setup you want. Plan, plan, plan. Figure all parts and accessories. Figure out what you might want later down the road. Buy accordingly.

Ask most SOHC owners of the Greddy kit what they think of the kit and I bet that most will be satisfied with their purchase. Ask someone who wanted to turbo their car so that they could "own the road" and that bought a Greddy kit and they will not be that please with the Greddy kit. You just won't get the power out of a Greddy kit that the larger FMAX and Drag kits make.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:55 PM   #11
JaY D. Em

Well Put...
Old 06-28-2002, 02:22 PM   #12
VieT916

Quote:
Originally posted by turbod97ex
Because of it's size, it spools quicker than the larger FMAX and Drag kits and, because of it's size, you will find it wanting at top end speeds at times.

Yeah, once my engine hits around 5000-5500 rpm, the engine just stops pulling hard. Up until that point, it pulls pretty well, but the top-end is definitely lacking. And it doesn't help that I don't have a FMIC.

But like you also said, I'm a pretty satisified SOHC owner. I do want to go fast, but it's not like I'm trying to own the road. I just wanted to add a little more pep, and the GReddy kit gives me what I need. If I wanted my Civic to be a killer street setup, I would've dropped in a B16 with a fully worked engine and a DRAG turbo kit, which I almost did. But I don't want to spend that money, and thus far, I'm glad I got the GReddy kit on my D-series. Now all I need is that intercooler.
Old 06-29-2002, 08:36 AM   #13
JaY D. Em

I have to admit, 1st and 2nd is decent on a greddy boosted civic but after that it's so slow!!! I just can't deal with watching someone spank my ass when my car has turbo... that would be embarrasing... notice how i said would! But that's just me, i'm competitive that way...