.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2003, 12:59 AM   #1
vodkpuddle

Can someone help me out with some performance issues?

Hey guys. I own a 97 honda civic ex (coupe) and i was wondering what type of cold air intake i should go with... Im looking for what would give me the most boost with a tight budget. Im just looking to upgrade the basic stuff right now, and if someone could help me out with some good info on some products it would be greatfully appreciated. thanks
Old 02-10-2003, 01:08 AM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

AEM is the only way to go... do it right the first time, even if money's tight.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 01:20 AM   #3
Sivik

I have an AEM Polished CAI that I'm not using anymore. Paid $220, will work with $150 obo if your interested. Hit me up.

AEM is the best way to go as well.

My Car

My Car is for sale
Sivik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 09:24 AM   #4
cashizslick

Ive heard nothing but good things about the aem cai.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:59 PM   #5
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

K&N drop in filter. Dont waste your money on the AEM if you have a stock motor, its just not worth the money.. That is, unless you want to pay another $150+ just for the pretty looks.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:43 PM   #6
vodkpuddle

well... i do have a stock engine, so is the k&n drop in filter the way to go... thanks guys for the replys.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:19 PM   #7
JDMB16

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
K&N drop in filter. Dont waste your money on the AEM if you have a stock motor, its just not worth the money.. That is, unless you want to pay another $150+ just for the pretty looks.

and what do you base this opinion off of? What's the reason for the modification in the first place? To MOD his car!! I fail to see your reasoning on why you say if it's stock, then not "waste" his money on it Just a K&N filter will not yeild the same gains as an AEM CAI bud. Go with the AEM It isn't JUST for pretty looks
Old 02-10-2003, 05:29 PM   #8
ShagginJet

CAI is a CAI for a stock engine. A CAI with any sort of Cone intake is going to supply more air to the engine then the stock intake. Obviously the larger pipe intakes are good, and they need to be cold air style, not the short ram intakes. A better filer on the CAI is god too. K&N makes a couple.

AEM probably does make the best CAI, but for stock, any will do.

As for just replacing the stock filter, CAI is better cause you have a straighter less restrictive pipe and usually the cone filters are higher flow.

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:31 PM   #9
96coupe

i think aem makes the best intake, but i still like my iceman
Old 02-10-2003, 05:34 PM   #10
JDMB16

Quote:
Originally posted by ShagginJet
CAI is a CAI for a stock engine. A CAI with any sort of Cone intake is going to supply more air to the engine then the stock intake. Obviously the larger pipe intakes are good, and they need to be cold air style, not the short ram intakes. A better filer on the CAI is god too. K&N makes a couple.

AEM probably does make the best CAI, but for stock, any will do.

As for just replacing the stock filter, CAI is better cause you have a straighter less restrictive pipe and usually the cone filters are higher flow.

there IS a such thing as TOO big bro Why do you say they NEED to be cold air?? The AEM CAI comes with a K&N Filter BTW. I don't see why you say "for stock, any will do"...why do you say this?? Why do you think it makes a difference if it's stock or not?? There are plenty of intakes out there that are pretty shitty quality, so NO, not ANY intake will do. Please don't post inaccurate info like that and steer someone in the wrong direction.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:55 PM   #11
sohc_vtec 2NR

yah! bad ShagginJet! BAD!...sorry i felt like yellin' at someone..

anywho...i just purchased an AEM short ram intake...but i haven't received it yet...any day now..
Old 02-11-2003, 08:40 AM   #12
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

He wanted to know the best mod for the money.. That would be a 35$ K&N filter, not a $200+ CAI. You arent going to see much if any performance gains from a CAI in a stock motor. The only thing youll do is change your torque curve so your car is putting out more power in the higher rpms and less in the lower ones.

Now if he had work done on his motor, then I would say definately get the CAI. But, he doesnt. So why waste the money right now. Thats just my thinking. You wont see much if any gains by spending the extra money.. Save the other $150 for a turbo or nitrous or something of the same later down the road.

Also take into account the material the tube is made out of. Aluminum will obsorb more heat then a plastic tube will.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:12 AM   #13
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

I completely agree with Rice...go with the drop in filter it has the best bang for the buck ratio...if you really want to get the aem cai but by getting the k&n youre saving huge bling and still getting added ponies...I wish I made that choice.

You could also take out the resonator and give you another 3/4-1 hp...
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 11:13 AM   #14
JDMB16

Quote:
He wanted to know the best mod for the money.. That would be a 35$ K&N filter, not a $200+ CAI. You arent going to see much if any performance gains from a CAI in a stock motor. The only thing youll do is change your torque curve so your car is putting out more power in the higher rpms and less in the lower ones.

Now if he had work done on his motor, then I would say definately get the CAI. But, he doesnt. So why waste the money right now. Thats just my thinking. You wont see much if any gains by spending the extra money.. Save the other $150 for a turbo or nitrous or something of the same later down the road.

Also take into account the material the tube is made out of. Aluminum will obsorb more heat then a plastic tube will.

sorry dude, you're wrong lol. I see what your reasoning is with the money issue but I think it's worth it to spend the extra. You aren't going to change JUST the torque curve with it bro, you are going to gain more high end hp and torque with the CAI. It doesn't matter if he has work done to his motor or not, the CAI is going to help him no matter what. Oh, and AEM intakes have a powder coating that reduces heat penetration and it works VERY well
Old 02-11-2003, 11:34 AM   #15
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Thats fine, everyone feels differently about things.. I personally dont feel like Id waste another $200 on another CAI again. I can say this from experience, I didnt notice any performance gains when I spent $1000 on I/H/E no matter what the magazines say. The only thing that changed was it make cool noises. Been there, done that, wont do it again. Im just keeping it real. You may see more of a difference on a little more powerful motor like a B16, but my D16 didnt. Im just being honest. I could have saved that $1000 and spent the money on a mod that would have actually done something useful.. WTF was I thinking.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:54 AM   #16
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

ooo its a duel! come on rice smack him with a glove jk
you know i feel the exact same way...all the money that I wasted on the header and intake really shouldve been saved for my turbo that Im getting instead...woulda saved me about $300 and that coulda went to a BOV, AFC, or something that wouldve been of much greater use...
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:18 PM   #17
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Im just trying to call it how I see it. All of these magazines talk up all of these so called "performance" products, when they fail to mention in a lot of circumstances, reality.

These Dyno tests are usually done with the hood up and, a fan blowing on the motor. This drastically decreases under hood tempatures and everyone knows, the lower the temps the more power your car will produce. This is quite the same thing while driving down the road on a hot day.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:33 PM   #18
JDMB16

Quote:
Im just trying to call it how I see it. All of these magazines talk up all of these so called "performance" products, when they fail to mention in a lot of circumstances, reality.

These Dyno tests are usually done with the hood up and, a fan blowing on the motor. This drastically decreases under hood tempatures and everyone knows, the lower the temps the more power your car will produce. This is quite the same thing while driving down the road on a hot day.

and what do you think they do when they dyno a car PERIOD?!?!?!?!?! Stock or not, that's how they dyno a car usually bud.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:35 PM   #19
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by JDMB16
and what do you think they do when they dyno a car PERIOD?!?!?!?!?! Stock or not, that's how they dyno a car usually bud.

I understand that.. But what good is that going to do you while your driving down the street? Im just saying these performance mods dont add all that much performance once you get out in the real world.

Dyno tuning is a good thing, Im not saying its not in anyway. Im just saying, spending $200 on an air intake because it give you 1 or 2 hp on the dyno is a waste of money in the real world.