::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2003, 06:21 PM   #1
Civickid0to60

Could it possible?

Alright to all you major motorheads who know their shit about swaps......i gotta question.

Could it be possible to fit a V8 in my car.....I recently saw a ford focus engine which fills the space up in its engine bay pretty good, and they fit a V8 into it. I was wondering if I could possibly do the same with mine. If it is possible or could be possible, please let me know what kind of engine you think could possibly fit. thanks.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:49 PM   #2
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

anything is possible
just take your dimensions (all of them, xyz) and then measure up a v8 and tranny of your choice
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:56 PM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

Not too familiar with Ford, but I have seen a Miata with a 5.0 before.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:12 PM   #4
pimpinprelude

oo its verry possible.... i think you could squeeze a 302 in there pretty easy...i have seen a conversion kit somewhare... and i have seen both focus and probes with a v8.. good stuff i think it was a 302, 5.0 or the 4.6,that mustangs and f-150s have in them now. but just call some custom shops around whare you live, if and if thay have it.. if not then thay should know somebody who does.. **godfather**
pimpinprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:19 PM   #5
pimpinprelude

http://members.aol.com/MREPRODUCT/mre.htm thins company MIGHT have it... idk email them tho
Old 12-01-2003, 07:38 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i think you are asking the wrong board.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:51 PM   #7
Loki

You could prolly get some info on that sort of thing at...I think its www.performanceprobe.com. If that link's wrong, let me know and I'll look it up. that url is off the top of my head. But you can do that swap. Not cheap though, but you prolly knew that
Old 12-01-2003, 10:44 PM   #8
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

No way is a larger V8 fitting into a FWD car without EXTENSIVE modifications to the chassis. Some cars use smaller V8 like the Lincoln Town Car, Lincoln LS, some Cadillacs (with Northstars) but they're genrally less than 4 liters. The problem is the length. Mount a larger V8 in a FWD configuration and it's too long because of the extra 2 cylinders over a fitable V6. You could always convert the car to RWD which would require reworking the frame, modify the underside of the vehicle for a transmission tunnel and driveshaft, modifying the entire suspension so the front would work without CV joints and reworking the rear to accept a live axle (or IRS but that would be a total b!tch). Most of the FWD cars you see with V8s are either drag only cars with tube frame chassis or some show car that a shop put together over a few months to show off what they can do.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:14 AM   #9
AzCivic

with enough money anything is possible. whether or not its worth it is another question.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:56 AM   #10
pimpinprelude

oo crap... i forgot it was FWD......
Old 12-02-2003, 08:08 AM   #11
sohc_vtec 2NR

it might be possible...but WHY?! if you have that kind of extra money to spend, could you at least spare me a couple hundred dollars??
Old 12-02-2003, 08:55 AM   #12
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by sohc_vtec 2NR
it might be possible...but WHY?! if you have that kind of extra money to spend, could you at least spare me a couple hundred dollars??

or get a rwd V8 in the first place

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 06:04 PM   #13
Civickid0to60

why? a v8 in a 1600 lbs car would hall ass. i would sell my supercharger and engine to get a new pro parts along with the swap/
Old 12-02-2003, 07:49 PM   #14
black95gs-t

I have seen a 2Dr RWD LS/1 (Chevy 350) 99 Accord. Sickest thing I ever saw.
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:24 PM   #15
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by Civickid0to60
why? a v8 in a 1600 lbs car would hall ass. i would sell my supercharger and engine to get a new pro parts along with the swap/

its probably not going to weigh 1600lbs with a v8, getting a civic down to that kinda weight with the stock engine is a royal pain in the ass by itself.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:47 PM   #16
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
its probably not going to weigh 1600lbs with a v8, getting a civic down to that kinda weight with the stock engine is a royal pain in the ass by itself.

A smallblock weighs about 500#. And this would definately NOT be worth it. Like GT40 said, you would have to gut the entire driveline and chassis and start from scratch. You would have to rework the frame to fit the V8 width wise, and figure something out length wise. Aside from that you will have to completely fabricate a floor to fit a T5 as well as the driveshaft and rear axle. Unless you wanted to do this just to see if you can do it don't do it. If you have ALL the fabrication skills to do it go for it.. If not you are seriously looking probably in the $20K range to start for labor and parts. Prob twice that. Buy a new car if you are gonna do that.
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:21 AM   #17
sohc_vtec 2NR

Quote:
Originally posted by V8killimports
A smallblock weighs about 500#. And this would definately NOT be worth it. Like GT40 said, you would have to gut the entire driveline and chassis and start from scratch. You would have to rework the frame to fit the V8 width wise, and figure something out length wise. Aside from that you will have to completely fabricate a floor to fit a T5 as well as the driveshaft and rear axle. Unless you wanted to do this just to see if you can do it don't do it. If you have ALL the fabrication skills to do it go for it.. If not you are seriously looking probably in the $20K range to start for labor and parts. Prob twice that. Buy a new car if you are gonna do that.

yeah, what he said... an H22 Civic would haul ass with less work, and you have plenty of extra money to modify the engine..
Old 12-03-2003, 12:45 PM   #18
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I've been thinking and I can't for the life of me think of one FWD V8 car that doesn't have a small displacement engine (later Taurus SHOs, Cadillacs, etc). Even if you could work out the frame and body to fit an engine the size of a 5.0 or something of the like, where would you find a suitable transaxle and strong enough half-shafts? I remember seeing a Datsun with a blown LS1 or LT1 (can't remember which) that couldn't hook to save it's life until halfway through 3rd gear. But then again that started as a RWD car. All of those Pro Mod Probes you see with mountain motors are only Probes in name...tube frame chassis and RWD. Kind of like NASCAR Monte Carlos, Pontiacs, etc. They bare no resemblence to the street cars. Even if you could get the fabrication work done, it'd be impractical for the street and I honestly don't think you could even find the parts to make it work without tearing the car apart and making it RWD. But if you did that you could use....say...a T56 (6th gear owns you) and a differential that's so ridiculously stronger tha a FWD car it's stupifying. But that requires a transmission/driveshaft tunnel and rear suspension parts. Just more work than it's work. I say build the engine, port the heads, and crank up the boost. It won't be a Vette killer (or maybe it will with the right stuff), but it'll give most mid range sports cars a run for their money. Or...you know...just buy a Mustang (insert shameless plug for favorite car here).

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 12-03-2003, 01:20 PM   #19
Wren57

Why not go buy an old 240z for like 1k and drop an ls1 into it, then get to work on the suspension...
Old 12-03-2003, 07:57 PM   #20
V8killimports

What you need to buy is a kit car.. go to www.factoryfiveracing.com and look at the 427 Cobra Replicas. They run on the Ford motors/trannies/rearend, and are HIGHLY customizable. They will end up faster, lighter and handle better than anything you have driven. Probably VERY fun to build and 10,000 less headaches than you trying to ENGINEER something from your car.
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 10:05 PM   #21
Anotherslo1

If your doing the v8 swap, just remember the wieght difference. As highlander said, I heard about the 240sx with ls1 engine in it, and it runs fast, but handles like CRAP, due to the front being to heavy. I'm afraid that will be the same if you put a v8 in your car. Your drag time might improve, but who likes just going straight???
Old 12-05-2003, 01:19 AM   #22
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
Not too familiar with Ford, but I have seen a Miata with a 5.0 before.

there was a kit made for that swap.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 02:34 AM   #23
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I saw one of those a few years back. It was a Miata with a blown Ford Racing 302 motor. It would have been wicked cool...if it had been able to hook or to handle. It was basically just a dyno queen. Just plain worthless.