Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2003, 03:51 AM   #1
intense101
1st Gear

B16a1?????????

I dont get it . I want to swap a B16A1 into my 94 civic but i dont know how to work with it. Would i have to have to buy a different tranny and if i do what kind. Would i be able to place a 94 civic exhaust on it or would i have to get a custom exhaust made?
Or could i just get a 94 civic exhaust and get a custom down pipe. And what type of aftermarket manifold coould i buy and from where? If yall have time try to explain the facts about putting and working with a B16A1 engine into my car.
intense101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:23 PM   #2
nonovurbizniz

Ok...

With the a1 I believe you have to switch to cable instead of hydro which is another expense which downgrades your car...

I'm not positive but I believe the manifolds come out in the same spot... and if not it's only a little off... ie length... so you'd just have to have a muffler shop or yourself connect the collector to the cat...

as far as aftermarket parts... anything for the engine you order for that engine or another of the same series... ie b16 or b18 parts (can be ordered as 96 delsol w/vtec or integra gsr/itr)... anything for the chassis you order for your chassis. (94 civic).
Old 07-30-2003, 04:09 PM   #3
ShagginJet

You'd wanna go with a 2nd gen B16, it'll cost a little more but it'll have the right tranny and i'd assume be easier to setup.

http://63.249.135.19/hdrive/car/index.htm
ShagginJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 05:42 PM   #4
AzCivic

Re: B16a1?????????

Quote:
Originally posted by intense101
I dont get it . I want to swap a B16A1 into my 94 civic but i dont know how to work with it. Would i have to have to buy a different tranny and if i do what kind. Would i be able to place a 94 civic exhaust on it or would i have to get a custom exhaust made?
Or could i just get a 94 civic exhaust and get a custom down pipe. And what type of aftermarket manifold coould i buy and from where? If yall have time try to explain the facts about putting and working with a B16A1 engine into my car.

what model civic do you have?
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 05:26 AM   #5
intense101
1st Gear

Its a 94 Civic EX Coupe.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:01 PM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

It should be a straight shot. You'll need the tranny. You can get a cable to hydraulic conversion from www.hasport.com. As mentioned, try getting the A2 if you can. Goodluck with your project

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:21 PM   #7
AzCivic

Quote:
Its a 94 Civic EX Coupe.

doing this swap is alot of trouble to just to get 35hp and no additional torque. have you considered just turbocharging the motor you have? it'll be cheaper, easier, and result in a faster car.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:06 AM   #8
seanjuan

yeah, if your motor is still good then I'd say turbo it and you'll be set up real nice. if you do a swap just get a b16a2 or any B with a hydro tranny and you will have less extra work to do

I just put a b16 in my car and all I had to do was swap the wiring harnesses, other than that everything bolted right up. including the exhaust
Old 08-03-2003, 04:03 AM   #9
intense101
1st Gear

how much will putting a turbo charger into it help me.
I was really looking on getting a better engine in it and going all motor. But when i heard yall say turbo i thought twice.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:51 AM   #10
thermal
Banning Machine

You have to step back and think about how far you want to take this project. What is your HP goal? A swap with a B-series will give you a higher base power then you can turbo it later. But that all depends on your plan. My 99civicEX is almost done. I'm keeping it at 10 psi daily driven D16y8 on the AFC Hack. Time to start a new project.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:52 PM   #11
AzCivic

Quote:
how much will putting a turbo charger into it help me.
I was really looking on getting a better engine in it and going all motor. But when i heard yall say turbo i thought twice.

first of all if you want to go all motor you probably dont want a torque-less 1.6ltr engine.

as far as how much a turbo kit will help, it depends on what kit and how much boost you run. a simple greddy kit running 6-8psi will be more than enough to take out any midly modded b16 civic and should be good enough to take out teg GSR's.

if you wanna run alot of boost and make alot of power just swap out the pistons/rods for aftermarket ones and 300hp should be easy with the right turbo/fuel setup.

dont be a sucker and swap when you dont need to.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:04 PM   #12
JDMB16

Re: B16a1?????????

Quote:

I assume you are referring to the first gen B16A.

You will need a hydraulic transmission (any B series will work, but is preferred to use one from a B16A or B18C due to gearing)

You won't need a custom exhaust, but the exhaust manifold won't meet up to the cat perfectly.

Downpipes are for turbo cars, I assume you're referring to the header or the Y pipe part of the header. No, you won't need it custom.

You will have to buy aftermarket parts for a DOHC VTEC Del Sol, I believe, that's what I have to do with my second gen B16 (not to be confused with a B16A2) There are tons of places you can purchase a header from.

Seriously, I don't really suggest going with this swap for a few reasons.

1. you have to buy a conversion or a new tranny.
2. The first gen B16 is OBD-0, you're OBD-1, so you will have to get a new ECU or have your P28 modified.
3. Swapping an engine that is older than the car is illegal.

As for the FI vs. swap argument...I'm not going there again, it's been beat to death. That argument can best be summed up as it is a matter of personal opinion. Turbos can be a real pain in the ass sometimes and require a lot of tuning to get the engine running right and you will also inevitably (sp?) break some parts at first. Whichever path you choose, I will help you. In my opinion, go with the Second Gen B16A if you're going to swap, which is 170 hp instead of the 160 coming from the first gen and isn't as much of a hassle.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:52 PM   #13
seanjuan

props to JDMB16,
ultimately it's your call. I'm running pretty much the same setup as jdmb16 is (eg civic with a second gen b16) jdm b's don't have number designations after the A only usdm (if it is b16a2 then it's usdm etc.)

at anyrate I chose the swap for the fact that my motor was on it's last legs and was burning more oil than I cared to put in it. but with the swap you do retain the "reliability" of a stock honda. but then again you are taking a risk by buying a used engine. but if you are considering a swap check out www.usedengine.com email them and ask if they have the motor you want in stock or call and talk to jeremy, he is a good guy and doesn't sell junk motors (this company was mentioned in the most recent issue of GRM)

anyway, it is all preference. just do some more research on cost/maintanance/and future options and see what looks best to you. I'm hoping to go turbo in a year or so when I have some more money to spend on my car. I might possibly do a nitrous set up in the more near future but i'm affraid I'll get hooked on it and spend more on nitrous than I do on gas.

anyway, whatever you do just have fun with it. it's a hobby and you should enjoy doing the work and be proud of what youve done

good luck