::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2003, 05:22 PM   #1
Spitz

Apex'i Exhaust Problem

Got my apex'i exhaust like a month ago and lately when my car is idling it starts rattling and hitting somthing underneath my car and making a really loud noise when it hits. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and if they did how did you fix it or is it just that my exhaust might not be sitting right or something. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:32 PM   #2
AzCivic

Re: Apex'i Exhaust Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Spitz
Got my apex'i exhaust like a month ago and lately when my car is idling it starts rattling and hitting somthing underneath my car and making a really loud noise when it hits. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and if they did how did you fix it or is it just that my exhaust might not be sitting right or something. Thanks in advance.

Is it the worldsport???

If so then YES, mine did that too. The only option is have an exhaust shop look at it and have them do some work to it. My problem was the last flange was rubbing the gas tank. OH and take it some place good, I made the mistake of going to meineke. I wanted them to cut out the flange and weld the pipes together but they acted like it would be too difficult so they did some other shit and now it sits kinda crooked.

F U C K MEINEKE AND MIDAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:49 PM   #3
blind34_1

YES! I have the same problem. Mine is by the passenger side rear flange, the last one before muffler. The flange hits the swaybar, and chassis, and also the pipe itself bangs against the chassis. I thought I installed it wrong, but apparently not. I've got a few ideas, but I need to find like some heat resistant rubber or something. Eventually this rattle is going to rub off the undercoat.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 04:28 PM   #4
Spitz

mine happens in the same spot if you figure out a way to fix it let me know plz.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:49 PM   #5
AzCivic

i tried wedging in a piece of leather, which worked for like 5 minutes and then it fell out.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:49 PM   #6
Spitz

this is horrible my car sounds like a drive-by shooting whenever my car is stopped.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:29 AM   #7
AzCivic

exhaust shop!
Old 05-30-2003, 01:00 AM   #8
nonovurbizniz

if you can get under it you can usually just bend the heatshield it's rattling on... you just pry on the part it's hitting... sometimes it only takes some jiggling of where the rubber hangers are positioned.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:44 AM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

my brother's car does that.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 09:34 AM   #10
jjcivic92
2nd Gear

Man, that really sucks about your APEX'i. Let me know how it goes when you get it fixed. I was thinking about getting a APEX'i N1, but you all seem to have some trouble with it. If that's the case, I'll just settle with my RaVin muffler.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:42 PM   #11
OPAKRACING

I had the same problem, but mine was hitting on the axle cause my car is low

Cotton wrapped in tin foil, and then duct taped onto the axle, and the pipe where its hitting, heheh......
Old 05-31-2003, 12:44 PM   #12
jjcivic92
2nd Gear

Dang, that's crazy! Has anyone ever heard of a muffler "breaking in"? Is that even possible.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:18 PM   #13
AzCivic

they do break in, at least mine did. when i first put mine on I could barely hear it, then as the days went by it got louder.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:20 AM   #14
jjcivic92
2nd Gear

That's what my Ravin muffler is doing. Thanks for the reply man.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:11 PM   #15
AzCivic

Your welcome
Old 06-02-2003, 11:40 AM   #16
blind34_1

I was thinking if I could get my hands on some hi temp rubber, I could wrap it around the pipe and the sway bar where its hitting. Last night my exhaust scared me cause it got real loud. I thought I had the problem fixed because I learned I had the cat and the resonator pipe upside down...that explained the scraping of the resonator but it didnt help the axle and sway bar rattle. still working on it...
Old 06-09-2003, 12:10 PM   #17
blind34_1

well, I think I'm on to something.

I went to Home Depot to buy some hose clamps and then to go look for some rubber or other durable dampening material, and right next to the hose clamps was this tubular fiberglass pipe insulation. It says it stands up to 850 degrees F, and it only costed 5 bucks for very decent length of it. I took out my piping from the axel back and wrapped the angled part of pipe where its hitting the chassis, and I also wrapped the flange, which was difficult. I also wrapped the sway bar in it. THe fiberglass has some self sealing adhesive, so I used that in conjunction with the hose clamps (NOTE: always buy bigger than you need)

Well it worked for almost the entire day. I did pizza deliveries that night and toward midnight it started rattling again. Not as bad as before, but I think I know what happend. THe metal of the hose clamps dug into and through the fiberglass and I imagine its falling off. I'm thinking if I were to use duct tape to shield the fiberglass from the sharp edges of the hose clamps my solution may still work.

I'm also going to look into getting scraps of leather like somebody already mentioned. hose clamps wont cut through that.

btw, my total bill for the fiberglass and 6 hose clamps (diff sizes) was around 15 dollars.

anyway, somebody please adapt my idea and come up with a better solution.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:32 PM   #18
nonovurbizniz

you should be able to pry it into a spot where it doesn't knock.. usually it's just a matter of jiggling it around... if that doesn't work I'd suggest bending the mounting points so it holds it further away from where it's knocking...

wraping your exhaust is just going to dull the noice of the knock not make it go away...

and I wouldn't recomend duct tape... it'll melt and probobly put off some disquisting fumes.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:33 PM   #19
nonovurbizniz

also look into different exhaust hangers... they make all sorts of different ones so you could strap some on if different spots to hold the exhaust in a better position.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:54 PM   #20
blind34_1

I don't know if bending anything or using different hangars will work. If you saw the way this is mounted, you'd understand. You move one thing, it will bang another. its crazy. However, I just completed my new solution:

I went to Hobby Lobby and searched around until I found this bag they sell for 7 dollars full of leather scraps...exactly what I was looking for. Using the same hose clamps I used previously, I wrapped the leather around the areas where I knew the pipes and flanges were hitting the chassis and sway bar. (I removed everything axelback...it makes it SOO much easier). Upon reinstallation everything was nice and tight. There would be no room for vibration. So far it seems good, so now the test is to see how well the leather will stand up to the heat and elements.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:34 PM   #21
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

on my brother's custom exhaust i just bent the hangers so it will stay away from the strut and not enough movement to hit anything else

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 11:49 PM   #22
Jazn671
1st Gear

try f4 tape... it's stuff i use to wrap wires with in avionics work. it's fire proof and is real durable. it's pretty pricey though if you can find it in some industrial shop. just wrap whatever's rubbing and it'll dampen it...
630-407-0711
www.suja1.com
AIM:Jazn671
Jazn671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 01:28 AM   #23
RavingCivic

hmm y not go to an Exhaust Shop "a good one NOT midas or any BS chain stores" and have them Heat up the pipe and bend it where it is rattling.. my stock exhaust rattles against underside of car and i got new hangers and got under car and pushed it with my legs until it was not rubbing any more...

this seems to be a Better *more money though* alternative because then u dont have to worry about Chemicals, or heated up leather stinking from burning, or from hose clamps cutting anything.

NOTE to everyone

Dont BUY APexi WS.... TheY RUB and ui have to come up with extravagent ways to make it stop
Old 06-11-2003, 11:14 PM   #24
blind34_1

Quote:
Originally posted by RavingCivic

NOTE to everyone

Dont BUY APexi WS.... TheY RUB and ui have to come up with extravagent ways to make it stop

Boy, you know I wish I knew that before I blew 400 on it...I'm still happy with it though.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:36 AM   #25
jjcivic92
2nd Gear

Are there problems like this associated with the APEX'i N1 exhaust as well? I have been thinking about getting that one, then again i'm starting to become satisfied with the one I have now.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:58 PM   #26
nonovurbizniz

I have NEVER installed ANY exhaust on a car that didn't knock at least a little during certain rpm ranges.

that includes stock stock replacement and aftermarket...

THEY ALL knock around a little... you have to finesse them into a position where it won't knock.

maybe this particular one is worse than most but NO exhaust is going to get bolted up and sit perfect... even stock honda stuff can knock when first installed.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:58 PM   #27
blind34_1

well, my finessing involves adding dampening material But I imagine you are right.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:45 PM   #28
VR4_Craver
Banned

So like JJ said. Does the N1 have the same problem as all the other or havent you guys heard of that happeneing? BTW JJcivic if you dont mind me asking where are you getting your N1 from and how much? Thanks
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 12:31 AM   #29
jjcivic92
2nd Gear

I'm thinking about getting it from www.civicshop.com. It's going to be right on 500 with shipping. It's really hard to find any kind of cat-back for cheaper than 500+ man - I hate that. That's why I'm really thinking of just sticking to what I have now and just buying a ceramic 4-2-1 DC Sports header and then redo my piping to 2 1/4" or 2" without a cat. or resinator. We'll see how that goes, but first I'm trying to buy my body kit.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:23 PM   #30
VR4_Craver
Banned

good ol' civicshop. thinking about buying cam gears from there. does anyone have cam gears? If so could you tell a difference when they were installed??
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 02:16 PM   #31
nonovurbizniz

don't run no cat...

A. it smells and it's LAME
B. It does NOTHING for a na car that isn't built to all hell..

Don't spend 500 bucks on exhaust... borla brospeed magnaflow and COUNTLESS other brands are WAY under 5bills... the 500 dollar exhausts are JUST the popular ones...

Also if you don't run a resonator your car is going to sound like ass...

and a hi-flo cat can be had for around 50 bucks for a weld-in universal or around 100 bucks for a direct fit...
Old 06-18-2003, 12:10 AM   #32
jjcivic92
2nd Gear

http://www.prolightstar.com/catback/tsudo209302n1.html

Check that out, and tell me what you think. I'm thinking it'll be just as good as A'PEXi N-1, and look that price. The item shown looks good, but then again it's just the item shown. Yeah I here you on the 5 bills, that's mad though.
Old 06-18-2003, 11:59 AM   #33
nonovurbizniz

I can't tell you if it's good or not... I have NO idea..

It looks just like any other fartcan style exhaust...

I'm sure it'd be fine... and as long as it doesn't LOSE power then it's better than haveing 2 more hp for an extra 200 bucks.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:03 PM   #34
seanjuan

I had the same probs with the Thermal R&D stealth exhaust and I tried using leather and it just burned right though. I traded the exhaust to a friend with a coupe and he had the same problems and ended up taking it to a shop and having a custom piece made for it and now it's fine.

It's going to cost a few bucks but you'll end up spending the same amount of money of countless $15 fixes that don't really work and only last for a few days or a week.

good luck
Sean