::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2003, 07:09 AM   #1
BeefcakeAZ

Oil and Filter Recommendations

Hey, just got myself a 2000 EX sedan (it does have VTEC, though there aren't any markings). Was wondering what the best type of synthetic oil and filter would be to run with? I'm leaning towards either Mobil 1 or Valvoline SynPower (I swore by Valvoline in my old car), but I'm stuck on which brand of oil filter to use. Any help would be great! Thanks!
Old 07-31-2003, 08:55 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

purolator pure one. it's a blue anodized filter.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 11:54 AM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

You really have no need to use synthetic as long as you are replacing your oil on time. The differnce is just the chemical breakdown. Synthetic take more heat and is recommended on engines with force induction. Anyway, the oil filter issue, I prefer to use the OEM Honda oil filter.......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:23 PM   #4
AzCivic

i like mobile one for both the oil and filter.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:36 PM   #5
blind34_1

i've been using castrol syntec oil and a fram oil filter
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:59 PM   #6
nonovurbizniz

I use redline oil (too expensive and not really worth it unless you race). and bosch or mobil 1 filters...
Old 07-31-2003, 09:25 PM   #7
sohc_vtec 2NR

whatever the manual dictates...
Old 08-02-2003, 07:38 AM   #8
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

whatever the store has when i buy my oil...except fram...
hondas are fantastic
pure one seems fine as well
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 03:44 AM   #9
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Re: Oil and Filter Recommendations

Quote:
Originally posted by BeefcakeAZ
Hey, just got myself a 2000 EX sedan (it does have VTEC, though there aren't any markings). Was wondering what the best type of synthetic oil and filter would be to run with? I'm leaning towards either Mobil 1 or Valvoline SynPower (I swore by Valvoline in my old car), but I'm stuck on which brand of oil filter to use. Any help would be great! Thanks!

First of all, go with a PL24458 Purolator PureONE Oil Filter. It's actually made for pre-1990 Hondas and it's got a bigger capacity than the 'teacup' filters Honda specifies these days.

http://armlva.arvinmeritor.com/where...lters&Scroll=1

That alone is reason enough to go with a PureONE. I just went over and redid old thread, if you fell like doing some more reading (written before I started using the PL24458 BTW)...

http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showt...=&postid=14615

Secondly, go with Mobil 1 oil. Valvoline SynPower isn't really synthetic oil, just like Castrol Syntec. They are made of cracked hydro-carbon oil. That is, it's regular dinosaur juice that has been modified. You'll be paying synthetic oil prices for non-synthetic oil if you go that route.

The big complaint about Mobil 1 the last few years is they took zinc out of it cause it screwed up cat convertors. The problem was, zinc is a high-pressure additive too. So, Mobil 1 wasn't worth a sh!t for drag racing, particularily in fuelers. They fixed that by coming up with a patented high-pressure additive called SuperSyn. Originally, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn was only available to the drag community. Now all Mobil 1 oil has it.

Lastly, go with a K&N air filter. What can you say about them? They are the best air filter --- always have been --- always will be. I don't think you'll get much complaint here. Get either a cone filter or a flat panel. Personally, I like the stock airbox with a flat panel K&N replacement filter. That way you don't have to worry about sucking water when it rains.

Hrm... guess that about covers it...
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 08:24 PM   #10
pimpinprelude

mobile one.. all the others have this valve.. and when it gets filled up with gunk, it opens.. and lets ALL that junk that it collected out, into the oil stream... yea thats nooo goooood.. but the only problem is you have to change it.. other wise it will clog cuz there is no way to let it go.. and what happens when you starve a motor of oil???? yeaaa BOOOOM (maby).. but yea ..
pimpinprelude is offline   Reply With Quote