Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2004, 07:59 PM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I'm starting to hate current events

I've always been one to try and keep up on current events, ever since I was like 10. It always pisses me off when you talk to someone who has no idea of what's going on in the world and they seem fine with that. But now watching any type of news is such a bitchfest. Just yesterday I was watching a bunch of guys bashing John Kerry and questioning his service. Then, while flipping through channels, I stumbled upon the 700 Club (who apparently consider themselves a news source now which is a painful joke) where the same guys were making a different report but for the same reasons. This is just an example of the latest bullshit I've seen, but it's pretty typical. I mean really, is it that big of a deal? Hell, at least Kerry was actually IN Vietnam...not bailing out of a branch of the armed forces designed to protect Lubbock, TX from a VC invasion. Seriously...if we're gonna pick on stuff how about we make it real issues. And forget about cable news stations...everybody's biased and apparently proud of it. Why can't news stick to news and not opinions? Shouldn't there be a standard of validity before a station is allowed to call themselves news?
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 08:09 PM   #2
biker's back

I think it depends what news you follow, politics is partcularly bad.

Right now I read the important stuff, which there isn't much of.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:33 PM   #3
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by biker's back
I think it depends what news you follow, politics is partcularly bad.

Right now I read the important stuff, which there isn't much of.

Problem is there's not much in the news these days that isn't politics...at least here in the states. I haven't got a clue what they show up in the great white north. It's absolutely hellish watching the news these days.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 08-11-2004, 08:45 PM   #4
biker's back

We get stuff from all over the world, local news, some politics and then some US news.

Right now the big thing here in ontario is health care tax thats just been imposed, red light cams and this missle thing with the us.

edit// and theres alot of stuff happening over in europe and the middle east.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:08 PM   #5
biker's back

I'm currently watching a global special report on gorills fighiting between palestine and israel.

They are saying when israel plowed down some buildings they really didn't kill all the people that the media claimed were inocident people. Actual 26 people died that weren't fighting in the conflict, but this number isn't even close to the average bombings that happen on a regular bases.

They are also saying that the media doesn't back israel so they are to show us why it all happened and such.

They compair this to the US attacks in serbia and kosva and that 527 civilian were killed.

according to this report, israel has the best values when fitting. They have the lowest civilian deaths in their battles. "when the worst, is call the best one has to wonder who is pointing the fingers'

editt// its the jennin battle they talk of
Old 08-11-2004, 09:20 PM   #6
biker's back

How many bad stories are printed on the front page that millions see but how many retractions are seen on the second page?

Now on cbc there is news on the bad things happening in africa
Old 08-11-2004, 09:48 PM   #7
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

We get vaguely the same stuff, but without people drawing the same similarities. Here in the U.S. we can apparently do no wrong. All of our bombings and military endeavors over the past 50 years have been 100% justified, apparently. We've killed 8 million people in those 50 years and bombed countries many people here don't know exist or couldn't even pronounce if they did know, but all of those deaths were justified...or something. I only wish we had coverage that was so critical and retrospective of what we've done.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:50 PM   #8
biker's back

But the average american doesn't want to hear that, nor is it good for business.

Most americans think like this. I live in the most powerful country in the world, who is also the richest. Why waste my time over some shit whole country, just bomb them.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:56 PM   #9
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I'll agree with that to an extent. I think it's more of a matter that some people know what time it is, others don't. I love living here, but I hate the way we often act. The beauty of it all is that I can rant and rave about how much the things we sometimes do pisses me off. I'll just twiddle my thumbs (if I had thumbs) patiently until the next regime change in November...hopefully.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:59 PM   #10
biker's back

i'm sorry to say it but they're both the same, kerry or bush. Same funny looking american who claims to be more then they are.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:48 PM   #11
mylittlecivic

I'm Just getting real sick Of politics, Its taking Over everything

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:56 PM   #12
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by mylittlecivic
I'm Just getting real sick Of politics, Its taking Over everything

No joke. I was wondering the other day...maybe it's just because this is the the first time I'm old enough to truely appreciate an election, but it seems like people have become politically rabid. Last time around people didn't seem to care too much who got elected...now you ask those same people and they're just about foaming at the mouth.

And Rob...you may be right about Kerry and Bush, but in either event it wouldn't hurt to change one for the other. Bush had his shot and he blew it...time to let someone else come in and take a swing at it.

Old 08-12-2004, 03:53 PM   #13
biker's back

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
No joke. I was wondering the other day...maybe it's just because this is the the first time I'm old enough to truely appreciate an election, but it seems like people have become politically rabid. Last time around people didn't seem to care too much who got elected...now you ask those same people and they're just about foaming at the mouth.

And Rob...you may be right about Kerry and Bush, but in either event it wouldn't hurt to change one for the other. Bush had his shot and he blew it...time to let someone else come in and take a swing at it.

See I do think clinton did a better job, your dollar was worth alot more when he was in power, even went he went to war.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:00 AM   #14
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

im stick and tired of politics, i usta really care, i did. however its all just who can find the best dirt on the other guy. both of these guys are nowhere perfect, and anything you want to rip on one guy for, the other has done something similar, or at least something they dont want to talk about conserning the same issue.

honestly i dont think its gonna make 2 shits of a difference what ACTUALLY gets done in this country under bush or kerry, its all going to be who do you trust more, and what has bush done to prove he deserves another term. kerry seems like a semi good hearted american who might have our best interests in mind, but so did bush when he was running for president. shit i remeber i wanted bush to win simply because al gore was... well al gore.

steve i think that more people are concerned this election year simpley because more of the presidents mishaps have been made more public, and they are actually controversial to the WHOLE world. clinton lied under oath, regan tried to get an edge on his competition, jfk slept with anyone with a warm hole between their legs, and bush takes misleading information and invades a country with the justification of keeping america safe from immenent danger. sure you can argue that we thought it was a nessesity, and that sadam could have been the next hitler, however the intellegence for invasion was not clear, and in a state of terror our countries leaders were convinced it was the best idea based on information that made speculations and assumtions which ended up holding no water. we made a new law in which we wont inforce since it would involve attacking the entire middle east, including some of our allies.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 12:34 AM   #15
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

You know...a wise American once uttered the following quote:

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country."

Oh...wait...he wasn't wise and he wasn't American. That quote is from Hermann Goering who just happened to be the commander-in-chief of the Luftwaffe (German Air Force, for those who aren't up on their history), president of the Reichstag (German Parliament...and not the Funkadelic kind), and Hitler's designated successor. Illustrious qualifications, to be sure. But Goering died in 1946 so it looks as though our current administration has taken a page straight out of the Nazi playbook and is milking it for all it's worth. Something tells me that John Kerry HAS to be better than Bush. It certainly couldn't get much worse. And who better to lead the country in a time of "war" (quotations used simply because we haven't bothered to declare war in about 60 years) than someone who actually SERVED in the military.

Old 08-13-2004, 12:36 AM   #16
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

lol i was about to say that was one of hitlers minions who said that, but i desided to read the paragraph before posting

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:19 PM   #17
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
lol i was about to say that was one of hitlers minions who said that, but i desided to read the paragraph before posting

Do you now see my brilliance? Lol.

Old 08-15-2004, 09:36 PM   #18
SolPol

Two quotes for y'all:

The bigger the lie, the more likely people are to believe it.

And...

If you tell a lie long enough and loud enough, eventually it becomes the truth.

Cookies to whoever tells me who uttered those words.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:48 PM   #19
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Both, I believe, are attributable to Hitler. Woot.

Old 08-31-2004, 12:33 AM   #20
SolPol

Forgot all about this thread. Cookies for Steve. Should have put the caveat in there that Steve can't answer this one. Of course he knows.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:17 AM   #21
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by SolPol
Forgot all about this thread. Cookies for Steve. Should have put the caveat in there that Steve can't answer this one. Of course he knows.

This is true...I know all and see all. This is why I'm cooler than god. I'm not saying you should worship me, but I won't stop anyone.