Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
B16DoHcCrx033003
4th Gear

arch welding

i am just starting to learn and i cant do it worth $hit, anyone have any hints or tips, every time i try it goes right through the metal, and welds itself to the metal table so then i have to grind down the table...... i hate it, plz give me and tips of hints, i have oto take a test on it in a few days..... and i can practice becuz i have to rewire a whole fricken car....
B16DoHcCrx033003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

umm, sounds like you are giving it too much current. cut it a bit. i am not a masteer welder, but tonight i will learn mig welding from one of my friends

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:58 PM   #3
B16DoHcCrx033003
4th Gear

i cant stand it, it either goes through it, or builds up, and looks like a piece of ABC gum on there....
Old 02-09-2004, 04:23 PM   #4
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Hmmm...never done arc welding...just oxy-acetylene. That's pretty easy...just get a good neutral flame going and know the melting points of the metals. As for the arc welding, just stick with it...you'll get the hang of it sooner or later.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 04:52 PM   #5
4drmadness

practice makes purfect...but you do have to watch the settings or you will burn through and weld shit you don't want to...lol

Good luck....
Old 02-09-2004, 08:48 PM   #6
pimpinprelude

i know how you fell.. i started when i was 14.. (2 years ago).. so i know some.. first off what are you trying to weld?.. and what are you using? a stick wielder? or a flux core wire feed? (i think those are the only two ARC welders??)...anywhoooo, the stuff that your trying to weld might be just TOO thin.. there is a heat level that will be perfect for any metal.. you just have to find it.. thay say that a perfect weld looks like a row a dimes... or a scar.. to do this (when you are joining two peices of metal) is make small slow C's.. like the leter.. just as if you were writing it... this pulls the metal off the first piece and mixes it with the welding rod and the other piece..making a strong bond.. just keeping doing small C's all the way down the seam with out stopping...it really does take pracice.. find an old bike... or something else made of stell.. and weld. just play with it and work on your meathod... one thing i learned in a was NEVER try to weld on paint.. allways grind it off first.. if you even can get it to arc, (its really hard to through paint) the welds will not hold.. and the burning paint is extreamly bad to breathe... i learned this the hard way..i make lil chopper bikes.. and i slapped one together and, i was using an old bike frame that still had some paint on it.. well it dident hold and i landed on my face.. so yea scrape it off first... but just practice.. then practice some more.. its just like anything else.. you have to work at it..

well i hope all that helped some.. good luck..

oo one more thing.. were a mask that covers you WHOLE face!! i was wearing welding gogles thay kinda look like this..( )
and i got a welders sun burn.. its like a sun burn but 10000x worse..
pimpinprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:05 PM   #7
MAXed Out
6th Gear

Take ur time and practice as much as u can and it will come to you.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:33 PM   #8
B16DoHcCrx033003
4th Gear

i practiced all day in school, i got it to look like a perfect row of V's which my teacher said i am moving a lil 2 fast..... i am looking to buy a good arc welding kit for my garage at my house, i can only run a 110 tho 20 amp, i havent tryed stick yet.... anyone know a good brand i can get a arcwelding kit with co2/argon gas mixand the arc welder itself that is wire feed, i dont want to have to buy all these diff pieces and hope they go together....so if anyone can help me out, thank you