.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions > For The Geek In You
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2004, 11:09 PM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

What the deuce?

Hmmmm...it's nice to longer have to post about massive spyware infections and whatnot...but I've got a new problem. After my reistallation of all things XP (including SP2 which kicks ass...so far), I'm forced to use Outlook Express since I can't find my copy of Office XP that has the REAL version of Outlook on it. Problem is, for some reason Norton AV isn't scanning my email for viruses. I've already eliminated 2 that came via email (simple spyware trojans...nothing too bad) but I can't get it to scan anything incoming. Also...is it just me, or is Norton practically useless at removing viruses? It quarantines real well...but it can't repair anything. WTF? Anyhow...any ideas on how I can make Symantec my bitch and make it scan my email?
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:26 AM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I'm not running Norton anymore because it is such a resource hog, but if you go to the control panel, there are options to scan your email. If these are set, check your outlook express settings. I'm not sure if XP SP2 changed anything in there with all of the security changes because I'm using Outlook.

If you still have problems, check out AVG (www.grisoft.com). Its working GREAT for me and my family.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:52 AM   #3
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Hmmm...Norton's "help" section isn't so helpful. It says to restart the computer and if that doesn't work uninstall and reinstall. It's OEM, assholes...no discs to reinstall. Bah. Everything in Outlook Express is set up properly and everything looks good under Norton's options. I must be missing something.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 12-02-2004, 09:35 AM   #4
blind34_1

hmm...i dont know, i use norton av 2005 and its the best i've used so far. But yeah, i have run into it not being able to remove all infections, but it will detect just about everything.

like he said, there are some settings in 'options' for email scanning. (im not at my home box right now, so i couldnt tell you exactly where to go)

also, make sure you are using liveupdate every day to check for new definitions. this wont help your email problem, but itll keep you more protected from what gets in.

sorry i cant be more helpful.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:39 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

sometimes it scans them, but maybe you have set the icon not to show up. that can be done in options->antivirus->email

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:21 PM   #6
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Well I figured out the problem. Apparently my computer isn't loading the file navapw32.exe which is what needs to be loaded to scan email. Problem is, if I go to select what loads at start-up through msconfig, navapw32 isn't on there. So apparently every time I restart I'll have to remember to load the file again.

Old 12-02-2004, 04:24 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

A simple way to load a file on startup is to make a shortcut to it in the "startup" folder under your start-->programs-->startup

You can do that or add registry entries. I wonder why that doesn't load. Even though you said it was OEM, it should still be included on some sort of system CD that came with your computer if you want to try to reinstall it.

Old 12-02-2004, 05:11 PM   #8
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Yeah...I have system recovery discs...but that would recover the entire system. Basically reformats. I'm not doing that again unless I absolutely have to. I guess I really need to upgrade to NAV 2005. They no longer even offer support for the version I have (2002) other than updates on virus definitions and whatnot.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:42 PM   #9
blind34_1

the version i have of 2005 is about 30 or 40 bucks and I supposedly only get updates for a year. Haven't reached a year yet, so i dont know if thats true.

2005 does a good job of stopping malware and other crap too (though its no replacement for adaware, spybot, etc.)
Old 12-03-2004, 12:03 AM   #10
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Yeah...I guess I'll just have to upgrade. Apparently if you already have a subscription it's like $30 for 2005. *sigh* More money I don't wanna have to spend.

Old 12-03-2004, 02:15 AM   #11
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by blind34_1
the version i have of 2005 is about 30 or 40 bucks and I supposedly only get updates for a year. Haven't reached a year yet, so i dont know if thats true.

We had the '04 version at work and it expired after 1 year. The previous versions would let you go for longer if you reinstall I think.

Old 12-03-2004, 08:41 AM   #12
blind34_1

yeah kinda sucks, but that is one program that i actually believe is worth paying for.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:52 AM   #13
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
We had the '04 version at work and it expired after 1 year. The previous versions would let you go for longer if you reinstall I think.

04 will do that too. just reinstall it. however it has like 5-6 installs only, after that it tells you that you reached the maximum number of installs when you try to register it again

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:46 PM   #14
IALuder

i love the title of this thread. lol Family guy rules.

but i have 03 norton and it works just fine. i have no problems. i also just upgraded. i figured it wasnt worth reinstalling then letting it reload all those defentions agian.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote