::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2003, 02:00 AM   #1
Wabster

Just installed my intake, couple questions

It sounds good, but not like i was anticipating. Its more of a low raspy sound, then just loud when you get on it. I also don't really notice any performance gains, but i guess its there.

IS it supposed to make that sucking noise? I hear it right when i get on the gas then it goes away, also when i'm shutting my car off for aobut a second.

God that was a ***** to install. There was so much crap that had to be disconnected to get it in.

Also, i do see the point in that putting in a bypass valve does kind of negate the whole point of putting a CAI in, but i'm not sure if il'l need it.. i don't think i'll ever submerge my car but i'm not sure how much water it needs to hit it that it will suck it in.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:48 AM   #2
RavingCivic

your civic must suck to put stuff on then, my 97 civic was a breeze to put my AEM CAI into, took all of 30-45 minutes while talking to my gurl.

I still say that the bypass does NOT negate the CAI and turn it into a short ram because u r still sucking in colder air from underneath the car. DONT beleive me take off ur bumper and stick ur head beside the filter and have a friend stomp the gas (while in NEuTraL of course)

u will hear that most of the air IS being sucked in from the filter and not the bypass... yes the bypass does suck air sometimes but even with the 2 different temperatures mixing it is still a helluvalot cooler than stock

for whether or not to have the Bypass
my friend (who drives a 240SX with a CA18DET imported from japan) was riding down the road in FairfaX VA about a month ago during a rain storm. he saw a white civic driving down the road and hit a big puddle of water. NEXT thing he saw was a HUGE puff of SMOKE and the guy pull over...when he drove by SUre enough the Civic had the AEM license plate bracket and stickers on his car. he pulled over to see what happened (like he didnt already KNow) and the guy said he didnt have a bypass valve on his CAI

u decide whether or not it is worth it

i am damn glad i put my Bypass on!
Old 05-02-2003, 02:54 AM   #3
RavingCivic

BTW here is my engine bay, i think the bypass gives the intake a nice look and sound
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smaller 42.jpg (82.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 05-02-2003, 06:47 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yup those noises are normal. mine does the same.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 08:01 AM   #5
JamieS697

same here what kind of intake did ya get???
Old 05-02-2003, 08:52 AM   #6
RavingCivic

wabster... what kind of INtake did u get?
the AEM CAI does have a noise from the intake. it is low but not raspy unless ur civic is totally different from mine. ie compression and/or exhaust which would pull in more or less air. the AEM CAI sounds good, hell, its almost as loud as some of the exhausts that i have seen.

i DO get a whistling noise if i press the throttle at 35% (roughly)
but i ususally dont have accelerator pressed less than 75%
Hence the great 25MPG that i now get with my intake

also there is all of an 8 hp (At best) gain from an intake alone. so no unless u run on a dyno u will NOT notice the difference in performance, (its not like u put on a turbo or supercharger)

so for NOw ENjoY the sound, and for later watch the HP go up as u r adding the mods
Old 05-02-2003, 09:19 AM   #7
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

yes sir normal as can be

if I were you, just convert to sri when its really wet out (spring and winter) and then go cai when its dry most of the time
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 03:22 PM   #8
iRACEmyCTR

i like the whistle sound, makes me think im almost cool enough to have a blow off valve! as for the performance gains you should about 2-3 more horsepower now so go get em tiger...
Old 05-03-2003, 09:34 PM   #9
Wabster

Alright, i'll stop being paranoind now then. Yeah i got the AEM CAI. Hopefully it sounds different from the outside, i was kind surprised by the sound, i just thought it would be different for some reasson. I'll also look into getting a bypass.

Also, i guess its too late, but does putting in an intake void the warranty, and what other parts will void it or not void it
Old 05-03-2003, 11:14 PM   #10
RavingCivic

it does sound Dif from outside, i got my gurl to drive it by me one day revving hard and it sounded SWEEEEEEEET

i believe it doesnt void warranty, they have to prove that it caused a problem therefore voiding the warranty, Double Check with HondaTch he works for Honda
Old 05-03-2003, 11:23 PM   #11
JamieS697

i believe it just voids the existing p.o.s. that used to be there but nothing else
Old 05-04-2003, 08:23 AM   #12
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

How the hell do people hydrolock their engines? I live in washington for christsake and ive had an AEM CAI on my car since January 02. Never had the slightest problem...

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:
Anonymous: Yea but a car has 4 heads, so it's headers!

Me: Or.. you could say that a car has one head...
TonitrusEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 08:58 AM   #13
JamieS697

^ i would knock on wood if i was you because its when you say it wont happen that it will
Old 05-04-2003, 09:59 AM   #14
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

Feh, Thats what splash guards and watching what your doing is for...

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:
Anonymous: Yea but a car has 4 heads, so it's headers!

Me: Or.. you could say that a car has one head...
TonitrusEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 PM   #15
silver

the intake won't affect your warranty unless they can prove that the intake caused the problem, which would only happen if you messed up or if the intake is faulty. the bypass valve will cause a loss of power and only makes a difference in submersion of the filter. if you plan on driving through water, get it, if not, don't worry, just be mindful of the filter in your fender.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 07:08 PM   #16
ShEaNy

yea i can hear mine suck in the air...but all i hear is my exhaust...shooting it out..those are normal sounds..
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote