Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2004, 11:10 AM   #1
drdingo21

Thinking about a Vette....

What'd ya think?

I generally don't care about domestic sport cars. However there are cars that are sweet and cannot just be overlooked (ie 03+ cobra, vette….)

I have been looking at a few vettes at least 02 and above and paying particular attention to the Z series.…..

I wouldn't actually get it till spring....

Discuss.
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:11 AM   #2
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i drove one, loved it. i'd say go for it if its finacially possible. i know i would

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:13 AM   #3
drdingo21

^lol, jesus christ i had to edit my post and you already posted.

Yea, the woman wants a new car first (we are going to test drive an audi A6 for the second time tonight so i think we have a winner) but then she said i can get a sports car if i leave my car stock and spend no more money....
Old 11-03-2004, 11:18 AM   #4
AzCivic

i've seen discussions where people ask about getting this(insert new import in the mid 20's-30's$ here) or a used vette. in those discussions, vette owners chime in saying dont get a used one thinking you're coming out about the same as buying a new(insert..) because of reliability problems w/ the vette alot of extra hidden expenses come up. they go on to say its a great vehicle as far as performance goes(of course) but dont get one if you can barely afford it.

my opinion/advice would be, if you get one, get a reliable beater for everyday driving, and set some mony aside every month for unexpected things and you'll be cool.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:18 AM   #5
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I drive the crap out of a Vette..
Old 11-03-2004, 11:57 AM   #6
drdingo21

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
i've seen discussions where people ask about getting this(insert new import in the mid 20's-30's$ here) or a used vette. in those discussions, vette owners chime in saying dont get a used one thinking you're coming out about the same as buying a new(insert..) because of reliability problems w/ the vette alot of extra hidden expenses come up. they go on to say its a great vehicle as far as performance goes(of course) but dont get one if you can barely afford it.

my opinion/advice would be, if you get one, get a reliable beater for everyday driving, and set some mony aside every month for unexpected things and you'll be cool.
Ive heard the same also. I I would be getting a warranty with it, either aftermarket or the factory warranty. Finically it won't be a problem, and i will keep my accord so that would be my beater....
Old 11-03-2004, 12:02 PM   #7
AzCivic

well then you're set. by z series, did you mean a ZO6? may i suggest some boost for the ultimate in over the top power?
Old 11-03-2004, 12:25 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i drove quite a few of them in my life. i must say the c5 is the best one i drove ( didn't touch the c6 yet) but i might ;look for a later model c4. i just like the way those look

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 12:29 PM   #9
drdingo21

boost?!

I like the way they look, and they aren't the terribly expensive (around 40k) and the woman already ok'ed just as long as she gets a new car.

And yea, i was refering to the Z06.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:38 PM   #10
Kyle
elyK

you got a pretty high maintance woman eh?...why don't you just give her the accord?

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:01 PM   #11
AzCivic

Quote:
Originally posted by drdingo21
boost?!

And yea, i was refering to the Z06.

thats what i'd do if i had your kind of money. damn , a ZO6 w/ a blower would be so sick.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:38 PM   #12
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

personally, I hate corvettes
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:55 PM   #13
Wren57

You can get a NEW c5 zo6 for 40k easily right now...
Old 11-03-2004, 02:16 PM   #14
drdingo21

Quote:
thats what i'd do if i had your kind of money. damn , a ZO6 w/ a blower would be so sick.
hehe, not that rich. but i do agree it would be sweet

I actually never even considered a vette. I was thinking about a project 240sx, or civic. But i got talkied into driving one. And i figured why bother with a 90s something project car, when i could just get a vette.

Quote:
You can get a NEW c5 zo6 for 40k easily right now...
Ive noticed that too. They are selling for below MSRP.

Quote:
you got a pretty high maintance woman eh?...why don't you just give her the accord?
She doesn't want "leftovers" There is nothing wrong with my car, its got 20k miles on it and fully loaded with navi, and ive had it to a 14.3 at the track. But shes not intrested....go figure...
Old 11-03-2004, 05:10 PM   #15
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Man...Corvettes are overrated and overpriced. They're nice cars...but they're not $40K nice. If it were me, I'd buy an '04 Cobra and throw the extra money into a few mods. With about $1500-$2000 in mods, a Cobra would run circles around a Vette since they run about even stock.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:15 PM   #16
drdingo21

Yea, but the cobra doesn't handle near as well. And i personally don't car for mustangs.
And it looks just like every other mustang out there
Old 11-03-2004, 05:16 PM   #17
AzCivic

if i had to choose between two cars that are about even, I'd take the one thats N/A, knowing that adding some kind of forced induction will totally embarrass the already blown car.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:17 PM   #18
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Yea, but the cobra doesn't handle near as well. And i personally don't car for mustangs.

That $2K would also cover handling mods. Personally I'm waiting to see what the '06 Cobras will be like.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 11-03-2004, 05:21 PM   #19
drdingo21

I edited my other post, but what really bothers me about the cobra is it's just like every other mustang since 96
Old 11-03-2004, 05:26 PM   #20
AzCivic

its funny how domestic guys argue w/ import guys that there's no replacement for displacement. but if they happen to be ford guys, then all of a sudden that doesnt hold true.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:46 PM   #21
drdingo21

hehe ^ touche
Old 11-03-2004, 06:02 PM   #22
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
its funny how domestic guys argue w/ import guys that there's no replacement for displacement. but if they happen to be ford guys, then all of a sudden that doesnt hold true.

Personally I don't care how you get the job done. N/A, blower, turbo...as long as it goes fast who cares?

Old 11-03-2004, 06:35 PM   #23
drdingo21

To me teh vette is a more refined machine than the stang is. The vete does everything well, where is the stang is just fast...
Old 11-03-2004, 07:21 PM   #24
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
To me teh vette is a more refined machine than the stang is. The vete does everything well, where is the stang is just fast...

This is true...if you can afford it. I always fell in with the Mustang guys because, to me, a Mustang represented affordable performance with more affordable potential. Sure, Vettes can be modded...but check out the prices for those mods. They're double or triple what the same mods for other cars cost. But then again it's all personal preference. You could make a Mustang better refined in an automotive sense than a Vette...but it would take some extra money. I know a lot of people aren't really into that so they just buy the car and call it a day. I'm just not one of those people.

Old 11-04-2004, 04:27 AM   #25
AzCivic

i also like how theres no V6 version of the vette, that right there is a pretty good reason to get one, imo.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:06 AM   #26
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Man...no one would buy a V6 Vette. Dumbass people buy V6 Mustangs because they want a Mustang but don't have the balls for a V8. But then again Mustangs were never made to compete with Vettes. So it's either a great thing for Ford that people draw the comparison or a terrible thing for Chevy.

Old 11-04-2004, 08:16 AM   #27
AzCivic

thats not the point, my point is if you see a vette you know its got the v8 and possibly may have the LS6, and they're a tad costly. unlike the mustangs, where you have cheap ass people bringing the image of the muscle car to the gutter.

no one drew the comparison, a vette and mustang are 2 totally different types of vehicles imo, you're the one who brought it up as a viable alternative.