::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2002, 03:11 PM   #1
mt.biker

... just pondering something

The other day i was thinking about something. I work at a bike shop where there are alot of fit people who ride bikes, run and swim alot. The term "in shape" gets thrown around a little too much, the other day someone called me "in shape,"I was like whats the supposted to mean?

Well i was thinking, what makes a person in good shape? How do you define someone as "in shape" or "in great shape"? Do you look at one activity that they can do well like running or swimming and because their good at it you call them "in shape"?

Before you tell someone that their "in shape" what are you considering?

one confused biker
Old 07-30-2002, 03:54 PM   #2
spoogenet

I'm in shape.

Round.

I think people use it under a variety of situations. For instance, if someone has a lean body with toned muscles, they are probably likely to be told they are in shape. They could be all pumped up and have poor cardiovascular fitness, though. Equally someone could have good endurance while doing cardiovascular events but also be overweight, obese, fat, whatever....and could be called in shape for their endurance.

I think of it as a general term that is generally meaningless. People tell me that I'm in shape and I don't think I'm in shape at all......to each his own. I'm workin on it, though.....

b
Old 07-31-2002, 01:59 AM   #3
mylittlecivic

I think people just use it as a nice compliment to try and make people feel better about themselves, but I would consider someone who does a physical activity everyday, and it shows to be in shape

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:22 AM   #4
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Maybe its in relation to the sport. Saying you physique matches your chosen sport.
I know mine does. Tall & skinny -> Computer Nerd.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:54 AM   #5
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by mylittlecivic
I think people just use it as a nice compliment to try and make people feel better about themselves, but I would consider someone who does a physical activity everyday, and it shows to be in shape

so its just a compliment, why do people feel the need to compliment eachother? i knew girl was lieing!
Old 07-31-2002, 08:19 AM   #6
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker
so its just a compliment, why do people feel the need to compliment eachother? i knew girl was lieing!
To make people feel better. And perhaps if it was a girl, she was hitting on you.
I would not read into it so much. Its not that deep.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:54 AM   #7
Surfr

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict
Maybe its in relation to the sport. Saying you physique matches your chosen sport.

maybe this just differes between continents, but here in the UK "geeks" or "nerds" tend to be short, overweight and often have large beards. Check out some of your favourite Linux kernel hackers for details

PS I'm ont a kernel hacker but I do share the same figure.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:07 PM   #8
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:

You arent that skinny..

When you say tall and skinny Im thinking over 6 foot, and about 135 lbs.

Im going to agree with short and chubbie for a true computer nerd, since they tend to spend more time in front of the computer and never see daylight.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:11 PM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice

then would i fit your profile ? 120 lbs and 5'11" the missing 15 lbs make up for my 1"

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 12:11 PM   #10
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
You arent that skinny..

Im going to agree with short and chubbie for a true computer nerd, since they tend to spend more time in front of the computer and never see daylight.
Ok. How about average height & lacks muscle/tone?
Old 07-31-2002, 12:12 PM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

and yeah i'm in shpe. i car run 12 miles a night with no problems. it's just my job

Old 07-31-2002, 10:10 PM   #12
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
and yeah i'm in shpe. i car run 12 miles a night with no problems. it's just my job

and what job is this?
Old 07-31-2002, 10:23 PM   #13
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker

and what job is this?
paperboy?!

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 11:02 PM   #14
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

No. i do valet parking. run half a mile drive half a mile. but it takes a toll on your knees and back after a while

Old 08-01-2002, 04:34 AM   #15
Surfr

Quote:
No. i do valet parking. run half a mile drive half a mile. but it takes a toll on your knees and back after a while

Cool, I guess you get to drive some nice rides in that job? whats your best time on that 1/2 mile to the car park then, and what was the ride
Old 08-01-2002, 10:57 AM   #16
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i never timed myself running but some of the guys timed me and i do it under 3 minutes. as for the car i drove so many of them it's hard to decide which was the nicest

Old 08-01-2002, 12:00 PM   #17
msvtec14

Quote:
i never timed myself running but some of the guys timed me and i do it under 3 minutes. as for the car i drove so many of them it's hard to decide which was the nicest
*You're job sounds awesome. Never take it for granted. I sit at a desk all day. I work in the loan dept. for a bank and the majority of the people that I talk to are rude assholes. I'm not the sit-behind-a-desk-kinda girl. It sucks but I can't find anything else that will pay as much plus they're adhering to my school schedule in the fall*
Old 08-02-2002, 08:15 AM   #18
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by msvtec14

*You're job sounds awesome. Never take it for granted. I sit at a desk all day. I work in the loan dept. for a bank and the majority of the people that I talk to are rude assholes. I'm not the sit-behind-a-desk-kinda girl. It sucks but I can't find anything else that will pay as much plus they're adhering to my school schedule in the fall*

ahhh.. poor you. I work for a bank on their computers. I know how much pain your in..:o
Old 08-02-2002, 08:25 AM   #19
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:

ahhh.. poor you. I work for a bank on their computers. I know how much pain your in..:o
<---------- Desk Jockey
Old 08-02-2002, 10:19 AM   #20
msvtec14

Quote:

<---------- Desk Jockey

I know, right...It's not so much the job itself or that fact that I sit behind a desk all day that I really dislike. It's dealing with rude people. I'm not a ***** at all but I don't take shit from anyone and it's hard to bite my tounge at times. I really have to remind myself to not take things personally. This may sound mean but I'm really not trying to be but old people are the rudest people that I deal with.
Old 08-02-2002, 10:24 AM   #21
msvtec14

Quote:
Originally posted by msvtec14

I know, right...It's not so much the job itself or that fact that I sit behind a desk all day that I really dislike. It's dealing with rude people. I'm not a ***** at all but I don't take shit from anyone and it's hard to bite my tounge at times. I really have to remind myself to not take things personally. This may sound mean but I'm really not trying to be but old people are the rudest people that I deal with.

OOPS, I guess I wasn't supposed to the the B-word because I know I didn't block it out...