::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > New Kid on the Block
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2002, 01:56 PM   #1
turboOrSuper

new guy turbo or what?

Hi everyone! I am 22 year old that just graduated from college and am thinking about purchasing a 99 civic ex Vtec (manual). It has 80,000 miles on it with lots of mods. Here is the list of engine and performance mods; FULL APEXI N1 EXHAUST SYSTEM, VTEC ENGINE MANAGEMENT UPGRADE, FULL ICEMAN COLD AIR INTAKE, AEM TRU POWER UNDERDRIVE PULLEYS, SPORT SUSPENSION PACKAGE, SKUNK 2 SHORT SHIFTER KIT, FRONT AND REAR STRUT TOWER BAR, JET CHIPPED ECU. I took it for a ride, the speed was ok, but i am looking for something faster. I dont know what to do (please help). I was thinking of buying it and putting a super or turbo charger on it, i think that will satisfy my craving for quick speed. The problem is, i dont know which one to get. I want something that will give me power, although i dont want it to ruin the motor or have to replace parts constantly. What should i do? I here the greddy turbo is a nice choice, i just dont know much about this sorta thing. What is the best thing for me to do or put on this car? Also how much would these options cost me? and what sort of gas would i need to run? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP!!!
Old 05-07-2002, 02:06 PM   #2
ddr_max

bottom line TURBO !
Old 05-07-2002, 02:06 PM   #3
blownteggy

geez...welcome to HS...super or turbo, huh? it's just a matter of personal preference. y not purchase gsr or ls integra and strt with more power and work from there....pm if you got any ?'s...
BTW you shouldn't post the samething in two different forums...
Old 05-07-2002, 02:55 PM   #4
LudeBitch

Hello and welcome to HS!
Old 05-07-2002, 03:24 PM   #5
toykilla

99 with 80k miles...LOL I have 98 with 44k miles. You better be getting it for dirt cheap or its not worth it...
Old 05-07-2002, 07:29 PM   #6
4jacks

NEVER EVER .... EVER EVER EVER ... Purchase a Modd'ed out Car.. specially with High Miles.. !!!

You KNOW THAT boy was whooping that thing like a red headed step child... then he's going ask for more money cuase it's Modded... BS !! Don't buy it !!! If he spent all that money on it .. he's selling it for a Reason !!

The guy probably drove it harder than Toykilla

ok.. well .. maybe HALF as BAD... but that's still good reason not to buy IT !!!

BTW welcome to the boards.. happy Honda'ing

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 07:45 AM   #7
turboOrSuper

lol good call 4jacks..... I asked him if he rodded it, of course he said he never had time to race it. So at that point i asked him why he put all of those parts into it. He explained that racing it was his eventual goal but even with a turbo it might run 13's or so and he wanted a 10 or 11 second car. So then he said in order to achieve this goal he was purchasing an all wheel drive car. Personally i dont think the car as it is right now is that fast for racing. A stock stang or TA would probably whoop it..... but who knows.
Old 05-08-2002, 07:49 AM   #8
turboOrSuper

O, by the way the price is 11,000 dollars. Which incluses a set of 17" chrome rims, body kit, tv, 2 12" kicker comps, amp, and 2 guages going up the left side by the window. What do you guys think?? Still dont buy it?
Old 05-08-2002, 10:45 AM   #9
4jacks

Well, He's Lieing... Even if he never took it to the track, which 90% of us don't even do... he was still whippin it on the street vs. every kid with a VW or Toyota or well anything else we all race. Bottom line is, I would worry about the life of the engine. We all bought a HONDA cuase we want a good quality car, that we know wont be in the shop every month. (Well except for Toykilla, he likes fixing his... lol sorry to bash you twice in the same thread)

But $11,000 isn't too bad a price, go to kelleybluebook.com and type in everything you know about the car. I got $10,495. Basicly that what you should be paying. Mods dont count.

If you still like the Idea of buying the car, TAKE IT TO A MECHANIC FIRST !! Any mechanic will inspect it for $40-60 and tell you if it has been well taken care of. Even a Beater Honda will get you 150,000-180,000 miles if its has regular maintenance.

Personaly I still would not purchase it, I worry about life of it, I drive alot, and I need my HONDA. Also I'm all show, so I beilve it's important that you personally personilize you car. It gives it your style and makes it more a part of you.

Happy Honda'ing
Old 05-11-2002, 07:31 AM   #10
toykilla

Quote:
Originally posted by 4jacks

The guy probably drove it harder than Toykilla

thats not possible...
Old 05-11-2002, 03:22 PM   #11
TruHeel142

Quote:
Originally posted by toykilla

thats not possible...

LOL

And yeah 80K miles on a 99 is a LOT, and I wouldn't even think about buying it. No offense, please, but find a civ or teg that had a woman driving it. Just don't ever buy a modded car, because 1) the previous owner must of run the hell out of it, and 2) buying a modded car takes all the fun out of it. The fun is customizing it to YOUR tastes, not taking what someone else has already done.

I found my 97 Integra w/ 40K miles for $9,500!!! so does it make sense to get a Civic with twice as many miles for $11??? And its been run hard??? No its not, and remember usually adding mods depreciates the value of the car, not making it higher. So don't get it IMO
Old 05-14-2002, 05:40 PM   #12
eXwiLL94

I'd have to agree with everyone, that this guy probably ran it hard, for the time he had it. My question is (I'm not trying to cause trouble ), aren't Honda motors very conservative? Since they set the redline limit at a low level, even if the owner ran it hard, the car should be okay, right? BTW, I purchased my 94 Civic EX (manual) with 111k miles on it for $3,800. Is that a lot of miles for a 94 Civic? Thanks.
Old 05-15-2002, 05:05 PM   #13
4jacks

Normal is from 12k a year to 15k a year.. your at almost 14k miles per year... so that's not too high.

Happy Honda'ing
Old 05-19-2002, 03:23 PM   #14
AzN4LiFe86

to me if u really want a fast car..decide on something rather then the civic, don't get me wrong the civic is not a bad car, its jjust not the right one if you want to make it fast..unless its a civic SI
for the civic itll take you a lot of $$$ to get it to be a good race car but thats just what i think..its your money you can go with it if you want and you already said its not fast enough for you
Old 05-29-2002, 11:29 AM   #15
heartbreakkid

i have to agree dont buy the car, the mileage is way too high for a 99 car. Next thing u know it'll reach 100k in about a year or so more and u'll hate the high mileage if you want your car modded especially in newer car and you want to swap the damn engine. Shop around first and find another car that is low on mileage and i'll bet you will find a car that better than that. But if you still really wanted it that car, then go far it.
Old 06-01-2002, 04:28 AM   #16
toykilla

If you want the car, get the damn car. Just get the loan for like a $1000 more and get it rebuilt with 12.5:1 compression ratio. If will be a shit load faster than stock compression and you wont have to worry about all the problems that comes with owning a turbo. Thats your best unless you want some INSANE 1/4 times. Its possible to have a 10 second civic all motor. =]