.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > New Kid on the Block
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2003, 03:34 PM   #1
Fawkes

Hey Whats up im New and could use some advice.

Hey All,

My name is Chad, and ive been saving for a car since i was 12.(now 16) I have always been into cars, i have respect for domestic but Imports will always own all lol. I looked around for a car that i could start tuning, and i came up with a 2000 Civic Ex its a 2dr 5spd Vtec. A Honda Civic to me is a shell with unlimted potential. Well recently my auncle opend an Aftermarket Import shop. And hez promised that if i help out and through in 1,000 he'll get me my own B18c R with all the trimmings lol. Well I'd like to kno what you guys think and if you could give me some help with the right kind of parts to improve Hp even more. From exhaust to turbos, to sound systemz everything and anything. Any links or advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chad.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:50 PM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Hey Chad, welcome to HS

I'd recommend searching this site for stuff like exhausts, etc.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:13 PM   #3
RU_Teg

hey...welcome to hondastyle...hope u like it here and enjoy ur stay!
Old 03-02-2003, 12:04 AM   #4
Shot 2 Hel

yeah this site will help you out a good bit. and good luck with the car
Old 03-02-2003, 12:21 AM   #5
OPAKRACING

Re: Hey Whats up im New and could use some advice.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fawkes
Hey All,

My name is Chad, and ive been saving for a car since i was 12.(now 16) I have always been into cars, i have respect for domestic but Imports will always own all lol. I looked around for a car that i could start tuning, and i came up with a 2000 Civic Ex its a 2dr 5spd Vtec. A Honda Civic to me is a shell with unlimted potential. Well recently my auncle opend an Aftermarket Import shop. And hez promised that if i help out and through in 1,000 he'll get me my own B18c R with all the trimmings lol. Well I'd like to kno what you guys think and if you could give me some help with the right kind of parts to improve Hp even more. From exhaust to turbos, to sound systemz everything and anything. Any links or advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chad.

Wow, yur lucky.

heh...well, exhaust, i'd go for DC sports, or Greddy. and for intake, i'd go for a Cold air intake from AEM....and if yur gunna turbo it, go for a good turbonetics, or maybe greddy, or HKS turbo kit......i dunno too much bout turbos, but ask around,a dn get other opinions.

WElcome!
Old 03-02-2003, 12:33 AM   #6
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

Um, no.

Dont do the above.

You should ask your uncle for a b18c, and build off of that block going the FI route. You'll have a much faster car than you can get going NA, for half the price.

But yea, you'd want to use the search function on the page to find some threads.

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 01:23 PM   #7
blind34_1

wow, a new person on here that actually spells vtec the correct way! good job!

as for the engine...damn..your a lucky guy.

welcome to HS
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 02:36 PM   #8
Civic98

wat's up welcome HS chad....
Old 03-03-2003, 09:20 PM   #9
Fawkes

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice, i do have a few other questions. If i did get a turbo wouldnt getting warm air intake be better or would i want to get cold air? And i just bought a a'pex i vtec controller im thinkin bout setting it to 2500rpm and if i get a turbo about 3500rpm. Any ideas on the turbo, i was thinking t4 garret but if i go that big i was thinking a little Nos plate kit with a 75 shot or so. My auncle said he didnt mind making my engine bullet proof so i can run nos and high boost more safetly. Also is there anyone who also has a b18c and knows maybe some bugs with it or has good ideas on the right path to tunning it any help is good help. And any ideas? Or comments? Are greatly apreciated.

O and thanx again for the help. -Chad.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:18 PM   #10
RU_Teg

I'm not sure but I think you would lost some power if you set the vtec to kick in at 2500rpm's with the vafc controller...I might be wrong though...
Old 03-03-2003, 10:25 PM   #11
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

I love your uncle. I need an uncle like that.

But anyways, a straight T4 would be too large for your goals.

Don't set the v-tec that low either, you'll regret it. It'll be running fulltime, which is.. plain and simple isnt good.

And uh, .. when you do get a turbo installed, you wont be bringing in air in the convential -cold/air short/ram method. the turbo itself will draw in the air.

You might want to do a LOT of research before u drop any billz on this.

Old 03-03-2003, 10:27 PM   #12
RU_Teg

yea exactly wat broc said...
Old 03-04-2003, 12:48 PM   #13
XsiIntegra

welcome to hs and i would also becaurful boosting and sraying a b18c5, they have high compression, if i were you i would build a ls vtec it would cost about the same and is a much stronger set up than the b18c, perfect for boosting or spraying

that just my opinion though
Old 03-05-2003, 03:21 PM   #14
Fawkes

LoL srry but more questions lol, I might be able to get my hands on an h22a for my b18c should i do it? Also what would be the best turbo for a civic if the t4 is to big would a t3/t4 hybrid be good? and as far as a vtec what would be a good rpm to set it at or should i leave it alone, and running nos on a vtec is that possible. I mean nos screws with you fuel and and a vtec manages the fuel so would that work?

Thanks a lot, all you info is really helping me out a lot and i appreciate you reading through all this and giving me ideas and opinions, cant say thanx enough.

-Chad
Old 03-05-2003, 03:22 PM   #15
Fawkes

Also what about natural asperation, what if i got the b18c or h22a and just went spoon, no turbo or nos.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:57 PM   #16
Spitty

...welcome! hope you like HS
Old 03-05-2003, 07:18 PM   #17
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

You have a b18c1 or c5 already?

Either way any C-b18's i wouldnt trade straight up for a h22a unless they're throwing in a FAT wad of cash. H22a requires a LOT of shit to mount it, and I've already looked into it. It requires a lot of fabrication work just to create things like a smaller radiator, axles, and various other parts that you might need to be made while going through your project.

Its simply not worth the extra pain and hassle to drop a H22 in. Not to mention the H22 is a tiddle-bit heavier than the b18c's.

If you have a b18c5 (costly, around $5k), I would definately go the all motor route (NA). True you can turbo'fy the b18c5, but you'd require lots of dyno/tuning time to get it working perfectly, not to mention beefing up the enging before you do it.. which is costly as well.

If you have a b18c1, you've got a perfect platform to choose between what paths you want to take. You can always go the all motor route, which in the end is more expensive, or you can go the turbo route, which in the end will end up saving you a lot of money (not to mention you can create more power w/o the EXTREMELY fine tuning of getting a NA motor up to par w/ a turbo one.) Need more power? simply add more boost (and rebuild your block/head if necessary.)

But the H22? dont consider it at all. Talk to me on AIM, and I will talk u out of it. Its simply not a versatile engine to work with. All b series (especially the b18s) are probably the markets most widely sold engine (and are in high demand.)

Say you consider the b16? I'll talk you out of that as well. Just stay with the b18. you MIGHT also want to stay away from a b18b, but we're all talking with perspective... that is.. cash. $$

Its up to you in the end, im not gonna tell you what to buy.. (well techincally i am) but its up to you to make your decision (not if i can help it ).

So in summary after this mind-numbingly long post:

H22a- too heavy, too much SHIAT to mount, not worth the extra pain in the ass back breaking cursing pissed off days for the extra.. 10-15 hp. What it gains in HP, you lose from cursing and kicking the damn thing.

b18b- Some say LS/VTEC .. I say kiss my ass. :P haha jk. Not really that great of a motor to start with, the b18c's have more features that will greatly aid you.

b18c1- GSR, probably most versatile block ever, comes w/ oil squirters that keep the bottom of the piston lubed as well as the lower part of the cylinder wall. You can go all motor with this, or turbo, this is the engine that lets you choose. I highly recommend this motor (they're cheap too... around 2700 w/ tranny)

b18c5- ITR motor (Teg R')- high compression, normally those who buy this engine go ALL motor because of its higher compression. Those who choose to turbo'fy this motor are usually hard-core tuners who have time and money to invest in tuning and dyno pulls. High price tag. I'd stay away from this one. Usually runs for about $4500-$6000 for the motor + tranny.

b16(anything)- um, no.