User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2003, 03:48 PM   #1
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Getting a Custom Turbo....

Alright all I need some help. I'm looking to get a custom turbo
done on my Si real soon. I need some help from you all. My starting point is ~7psi daily and ~10psi on the track.

1. What's the difference between a T3/T4 and T3/T04E or T3/T04B? Is it size?

2. What should I do for fuel management?

3. What type of wastegate should I be looking into? I heard TurboSmart is pretty decent, but I don't know anyone that's used them.

4. Steel vs. Iron manifolds. Why would one be better than the other?

5. Boost controller. Any suggestions?

6. Intercoolers. Name brand vs. custom. Any reason to pay more for name brand?

That's all I can think of now. Toss in any other advice you might have.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:00 PM   #2
Wren57

Oh boy, this isn't my specialty but I'll give it a shot.

1. The compressor wheel on the two turbos is different. Also look at the A/R ratio.

2. I don't know what the fuel thingy is called. Its all alphabet soup. Something like AFR-VFC or something.

3. HKS wastegate and BOV

4. Iron manifold- stronger and lighter- don't cheap out on this, VERY important

5. Greddy Profec-B is a good MBC

6. I would get a name-brand just to be sure it works. Maybe a Greddy type-24 or something along those lines.

Im not sure if this helps, but I hope it does. Someone correct me if I gave any bad info.
Old 04-07-2003, 07:54 PM   #3
96coupe

I'm going to recommend picking up the issue of a recent magazine, I think its like HCI (first time I ever saw it). It goes through in detail all diiferent parts of a custom turbo. There is like a 15 page writeup about all the different parts, which brands make them, the differences....

2. I say go with Hondata for fuel management.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:56 AM   #4
Honda530

For Fuel managment many people run dsm 450cc injectors witha resistor and a apex afc. As for a wastegate look into tial. As for an intercooler it depends on what you want. go to www.thepartstrader.com. Im going to be using a starion intercooler and misc. parts from 1g and 2g ecclipse
Old 05-04-2003, 09:14 PM   #5
Boosted3g

1. the housing is different ( you want an E housing )

2. Handatas not bad if you can get a good workgin unit from them. I was a dealer for 2 weeks till 3 of my first 3 units were bad. I like my AEM EMS

3. They are all going to work at 10 psi you have listed as maximum. Id go with a 35mm Tial if you must have a brand name

4. Steel (tubular) you can make more creative designs to increase power but with cast you stay cost effecient. A good tubular manifold can run you 600+

5. If you do EMS you can use that or jsut go with a Profec B. That is an electric controller not a mbc as mentioned above

6. PWR all the way, cheap and the best on the market
Old 05-04-2003, 09:25 PM   #6
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Thanks for the replies...

Boosted, who is PWR? I've not heard of them. Do they have a web site?

The company that will be doing the turbo kit quoted me a log style manifold. From what I've read, it doesn't seem to be as good as the cast style. I also found out that I should stay away from tubular since I'm keeping my A/C. Any thoughts on the log style manifolds?

The EMS will do boost control? That would be sweet. I'd like to have as little "floating" around the cabin as possible.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:42 AM   #7
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Ok...Hondas aren't exactly my expertise...but I know a few things about turbo setups.

1. The only real difference between the turbos your mentioned are compressor size, trim, and housing size. It doesn't sound like much, but it can mean a lot when you consider power and lag. The first turbo I ran was a T03/04 hybrid from Turbonetics and it was all wrong for my motor. Always ask around before ordering such a major part.

4. If you can find iron manifolds for your application go with them. Since you're going intercooled the heat shouldn't hurt you and it can help the turbo. Just make sure you run premium oil and you change it often to prevent clotting.

6. Three words...Spearco Spearco Spearco. Again, I'm not sure if they have a ton of Honda applications but they are second to none. Before I got mine I ran a modified 3 core from Procharger (supercharger manufacturer) that worked well but I would swear by my car keys that the Spearco cooler gave me an extra 30hp (that's a seat of my pants dyno).

Piecing together a turbo kit isn't exactly easy, but it's not rocket science so long as you get ahold of people who know their shit. Just talk top a bunch of people and see what their comments have in common.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 11:48 AM   #8
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Cool... Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty sure I know now what I'd get. Unfortunately http://www.hstuners.com/forums/showt...threadid=15361

Things are looking like I'll be getting a 2nd gen DSM(likely an Eclipse). Dunno yet. Still undecided.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:44 PM   #9
thermal
Banning Machine

Re: Getting a Custom Turbo....

Quote:
Originally posted by Addict
Alright all I need some help. I'm looking to get a custom turbo
done on my Si real soon. I need some help from you all. My starting point is ~7psi daily and ~10psi on the track.

1. What's the difference between a T3/T4 and T3/T04E or T3/T04B? Is it size?

2. What should I do for fuel management?

3. What type of wastegate should I be looking into? I heard TurboSmart is pretty decent, but I don't know anyone that's used them.

4. Steel vs. Iron manifolds. Why would one be better than the other?

5. Boost controller. Any suggestions?

6. Intercoolers. Name brand vs. custom. Any reason to pay more for name brand?

That's all I can think of now. Toss in any other advice you might have.

1) Like boosted said..... E housing
2) How far do you want to go? AEM EMS is probably the best if you can afford it. Hondatas are okay. I'm using the AFC "hack" with DSM450cc injectors. It's okay but I can only push 11 psi before the MIL trips. FMU sucks, in my opinion anyway.
3) Tial 35mm. Good brand and size
4) a few reasons of design: heat retention, smoothness of flow, cost, distance of exhaust gas travel (length of piping), etc...
5) GReddy Profec-B is the most user friendly out there. Or get the APEXi AVC-R
6) Spearco, Blitz, GReddy are great brands.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 09:07 PM   #10
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Good to see you back thermal!

I just bought my Eclipse over the weekend so no turbo on the Si. Hopefully sell it soon so I can begin work on my new toy..er I mean car.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:11 PM   #11
thermal
Banning Machine

nice to be back man. So are you gonna keep the DSM instead then right? Peace out man...

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-06-2003, 11:26 PM   #12
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
nice to be back man. So are you gonna keep the DSM instead then right? Peace out man...

Yup. Selling the Si. Hopefully soon. Gotta get started on the DSM.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:22 PM   #13
thermal
Banning Machine

Goodluck on your new project.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 06-09-2003, 09:45 PM   #14
AzCivic

so what exactly are the characteristics of these turbos,T3/T4 and T3/T04E or T3/T04B??? you say that the E is better, but why?
I really need to learn this stuff but until then please just tell me.
Thanks.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 10:33 PM   #15
AzCivic

does anyone know?
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 11:28 PM   #16
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Without leaving an insanely long description that would benefit no one, here's a link:

http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/t3t04.html

That's got specs for the T3/T04E and B trims

For a T3 spec list, go here:

http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/

For what it's worth, I'd stick with the T3/T04E...it's got resonably low turbo lag and good all around boost. The B trim comes in a little quicker and gives up a little sooner than I'd like. Happy trails.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 08:08 AM   #17
thermal
Banning Machine

There you go. GT40 has the best link I have seen for these turbos. Great comparison!

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum