::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2002, 11:57 AM   #1
lturner

Speed Governor?

My friend is trying to have her car fixed up. It is a 96 Honda Civic. My boyfriend mentioned something about taking the speed governor off? Can you do that to a Civic? It is manual transmission. How is this done? I appreciate any help that anyone could give me. Thanks.

Oh yeah, I know you should be able to do it. I have a ZX2 and I can do it to mine?!

Old 02-07-2002, 12:01 PM   #2
Maxvla

Exclamation

Hello and welcome to HondaStyle!

I don't know the answer to your question but im sure someone will be along shortly that will.

Good Luck!
Old 02-07-2002, 01:05 PM   #3
VTC_CiViC

A fields VTEC controller has the ability to bypass the stock governor, as does Apex'i Rev/Speed meter. Outside of that, you'll have to have your ECU reprogrammed which is an imposibility because it is an OBD-II write-once style ECU. Just deal with the 120mph governor till you've got the money to spend on a standalone, by that time you'll really benefit from one anyways
Old 02-07-2002, 02:49 PM   #4
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Re: Speed Governor?

Quote:
Originally posted by lturner
My best friend is trying to have her car fixed up. It is a 96 Honda Civic. My boyfriend mentioned something about taking the speed governor off? Can you do that to a Civic? It is manual transmission. How is this done? I appreciate any help that anyone could give me. Thanks.

Oh yeah, I know you should be able to do it. I have a ZX2 and I can do it to mine?!

How fast does she plan on going? With no mods, it'll take alot of road or a steep hill to hit 120........

Work on the mods and worry about the speed limiter later.....
Old 02-07-2002, 03:01 PM   #5
lturner

actually her boy friend drives it and he plans on taking it pretty fast. it needs to go faster than it can go right now with the governor on it. he took it to the track and he wants to get it down into the 6's. last run was 10.7. thanks.

Old 02-07-2002, 08:13 PM   #6
slowEJ6

Quote:
actually her boy friend drives it and he plans on taking it pretty fast. it needs to go faster than it can go right now with the governor on it. we take it to the track and he wants to get it down into the 6's. last run was 10.7. thanks.

uhhh he wants to get it into the 6's? riiiight on, more power to him for dreaming. hmm so what are the mods on the car for it to be running 10.7? what are his trap speeds?
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 09:01 PM   #7
SWIFT

6's????? funny...
Old 02-07-2002, 09:17 PM   #8
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
actually her boy friend drives it and he plans on taking it pretty fast. it needs to go faster than it can go right now with the governor on it. we take it to the track and he wants to get it down into the 6's. last run was 10.7. thanks.

6's?
Ok.... I'm with hybrid3do0rcx. What mods are on it that it runs 10.7? And if its running 10.7, what's the trap speed? Seems like it'd be close. And this 10.7 in the 1/4 mile not the 1/8, right?
Old 02-07-2002, 09:41 PM   #9
88DX CIVIC

c'mon guys, i'm new here but i left other sites to lose a-holes not join another group of them
Old 02-08-2002, 05:16 AM   #10
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by 88DX CIVIC
c'mon guys, i'm new here but i left other sites to lose a-holes not join another group of them

Not being an a-hole. But the way she said it.
Quote:
My best friend is trying to have her car fixed up
It sounded like nothing had been done. Then she comes back and tells us it runs 10's. So you'll have to excuse us if we seem a bit confused.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:00 AM   #11
lturner

Sorry, I guess I should of made it clear. It is my fault. And you weren't being an a-hole about it. It was 1/8 of a mile not a 1/4. So it can run 6's, just wait. We have huge plans for this car. Come to our city and you'll see many fast cars and leading the pack will be my ZX2 and her Civic. It is a completely stock civic with an intake and lowered. So far that is all that they have done to their car. The man who owned it before her did some gear work, but we aren't sure what exactly.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:15 AM   #12
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Sorry, I guess I should of made it clear. It is my fault. And you weren't being an a-hole about it. It was 1/8 of a mile not a 1/4. So it can run 6's, just wait. We have huge plans for this car. Come to our city and you'll see many fast cars and leading the pack will be my ZX2 and her Civic. It is a completely stock civic with an intake and lowered. So far that is all that they have done to their car. The man who owned it before her did some gear work, but we aren't sure what exactly.

Ok. So you want to run 6's in the 1/8 mile right? That makes much more sense and is alot more feasable. Back to the point.

You will need to get piggy back ECU (like the AFC from Fields or Apex'i). The OBDII ECUs (the one currentyl in the car) are not able to be "chipped".

I would put the money that you would spend on the AFC into more mods. Headers & exhaust should be next unless you plan on going turbo. I say add headers & exhaust then add about 75 shot of n2o(nitrous) and you'll be loving it.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:21 AM   #13
lturner

Yeah, that is what we had planed to do next. But I think he wanted to do 100 shot of nitros. I'm not positive. We will have that hooked up by March 22nd. And he is ordering the headers and exhaust really soon. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:36 AM   #14
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Yeah, that is what we had planed to do next. But I think he wanted to do 100 shot of nitros. I'm not positive. We will have that hooked up by March 22nd. And he is ordering the headers and exhaust really soon. Thanks for your help.

If you do run 100 shot, make sure you get a wet system. Also you will want to upgrade your fuel system(injectors, fuel pump, fuel rail, etc.) and your ignition system.

BTW, what model Civic is this?
Old 02-08-2002, 07:52 AM   #15
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Personally.. If they want to be that fast Id start looking at turbos. They will give you so much more room for growth, and its easier to pull the power out of it. Then slap on a small shot of nitrous just to spool the Turbo up faster. [The thing about nitrous is its not always there when you need it for one reason or another.] After all thats done, then something like a stand alone unit wouldnt be a bad idea which would take car of the Speed Governor. Just my .02c anyway.

Ive heard about the hopping VA scene. One day I wanna come check it out.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:01 AM   #16
lturner

It is a 1996 Civic LX.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll pass the information on to them.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:33 AM   #17
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice

Ive heard about the hopping VA scene. One day I wanna come check it out.

ROAD TRIP!

Last edited by Addict : 02-08-2002 at 02:53 PM.
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 08:35 AM   #18
lturner

Sure, you all should come over. We can have a big party or something. Drag Warz is March 24th! It will be a blast!

Although Drag Warz is in NC. (But only 45 mins from VA!)
Check it out! www.piedmontdragway.com
Old 02-08-2002, 10:04 AM   #19
slowEJ6

im with RR on this one. forget the headers and exhaust, get a turbo kit and internal work for high boost....p&p, fuel mods, ignition mods, stand alone unit as RR said. then get an exhaust with 3" piping and like a 50 shot of nitrous to spool up the turbo. 6's in the 1/8 shouldnt be a problem.

10.7 in the 1/8 huh? not bad, id guess a 16.4 - 16.8 in the 1/4 cuz i ran in that area before with my D16Y7.....then i got the short shifter and was running consistent 16.4's w/ a messed up tranny and 8k mile old oil and in need of a valve adjustment. probably could have hit high 15's if i attempted to care

oh and.....you might wanna swap that engine out and replace it with a B18C or B16A - THEN do the turbo build up, building up that SOHC noTEC will be a bish and very very very costly. too costly.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 12:07 PM   #20
SWIFT

6's in 1/8? now we're talking!

if he has "big" plans for the car, i woud start looking for a swap/ building the motor... you cant get it done in one day if you wanna have a fast/reliable car... if he has the money, spend it wisely and not be sorry...

just my opinion
Old 02-15-2002, 02:36 PM   #21
lturner

I passed on the advice to him. He still wants to take the governor off? I know that he should do all this other stuff to it, but can he take the governor off?
Old 02-15-2002, 02:43 PM   #22
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
I passed on the advice to him. He still wants to take the governor off? I know that he should do all this other stuff to it, but can he take the governor off?

He can't "take it off" per say. He needs to look into a piggy backsystem. The OBDII ECU's aren't "chippable" (correct me if I'm wrong). Or a new ECU.