::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2002, 12:32 AM   #1
tightteg52

old ls

ok lets say that after i do my compression check if it all turns out ok my car is a 94 ls Auto which is what worries me i was thinking about 8psi daily driven would that be a safe load on a stock torque converter???Also anyone know where i could get a good turbo setup for aroun $2.5K??? cause i'll be getting aroun $1700 for tax return and am hoping to put it to a turbo kit but if not feesible i'll have to get rims and a system.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:57 AM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

8 psi is not bad at all. i think that the tranny and motor will be ok. are thinking about getting a kit? $2500 for a turbo kit will be hard to find cuz u have a DOHC. have u thought about a custom turbo? this may suit you better if you're on a tight budget. let me know, i maybe able to help you....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 11:11 PM   #3
tightteg52

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
8 psi is not bad at all. i think that the tranny and motor will be ok. are thinking about getting a kit? $2500 for a turbo kit will be hard to find cuz u have a DOHC. have u thought about a custom turbo? this may suit you better if you're on a tight budget. let me know, i maybe able to help you....

yes im very interested what can you do???
Old 01-08-2002, 11:42 PM   #4
turbod97ex

I would, if you could, sell your teg and get one that is a manual. I don't know if that is an option for you but it is what I did and hear is why. You say 8 psi now but believe me, when you have been at 8 psi for 6 months and everyone is telling you how bad ass theirs is at 12, you will be very tempted to turn it up or would a least wish you could.
I have never seen a post where someone had turbo'd their automatic and was still on the same transmission after 15k miles. There are things that you can do to prolong it's life - trans cooler, synthetic trans racing fluid, and by not trying to make it shift like a tiptronic , but it is almost inevitable that you will be needing to either repair or replace it within 10k-15k miles. Of course, you could swap it with a manual but that can be a huge expense too - pedal kit, manual trans, high performance clutch - but then again, so can selling your car and buying something else.
If you find someone that say any different, I would like to hear what they did to get their auto to handle the kind of power you will want to give it.
Old 01-09-2002, 05:04 PM   #5
tightteg52

well i know cranking it up is out of my league and im smart enough to know when enough is enough and if i need a new tranny after 15k miles then so be it i'll probally switch to 5 speed then well if any one out there can help me in my quest for turbo goodness please step up i really need a good kit for cheap!
Old 01-10-2002, 04:30 PM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

for a decent custom turbo set-up...daily driven:
get these:
-TD05-h or T25=$50-100 (from an eclipse GST/GSX)
-starion FMIC =$50-150 (from the junkyard also
-custom exhaust manifold =$200-300 (revhard makes it)
-vortech FMU =$50-150 (used on Ebay)
-GReddy BOV typeS =$100-150 (new)
-custom charged pipe =$100 (local muffler shop)
-custom downpipe and exhaust pipe =$100-150 (local muffler shop)
-GReddy turbo timer =$100 (new)
-autometer boost and a/f gauges =$60 each (get the pod too)
-vacuum hoses and T's =$20 (local auto store like pepboys)
-oil supply line =$20-50 (local auto store like pepboys)
-oil return/drain line =$10-30 (get a high temp resistant)

these are the very basic stuff. prices may vary. Wookie did a few custom turbo already. he comes here often. i'm sure that he wouldnt mind helping out on advices and ideas. patience, patience, patience.......it is the most important aspect of this project. do a thorough research before you mess with the engine bay. keep us posted...peace!

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote