Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
phunkatek
Parked

help: DIY replacement of heateer hoses & head gasket/ '91 Accd Ex Sedan

car:
1991 Honda Accord Ex Sedan

I need help fast - i have NO money right now to repair my car and just got a diagnostic done on my car at the local Honda dealership. I've got a heater hose that broke causing coolant to leak and a head that needs to be machined with a gasket that needs to be replaced.

What i want to know is...
how hard is it to fix the hose and take the engine head off so i can take it to be machined? The heater hose sounds dooable but taking apart the engine sounds like a lot of delicate work with special tools i probably don't have.
Can anyone tell me what I will need to do? Tools required, steps to take? Other details I should know about... like torque specs for the headbolts...and the order they should be tightened down in..? I might be able to get some of this info by using AllData in my automotive class but I need to know how to go about doing the job. Any help is greatly appreciated.
phunkatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:23 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

man a head job is pretty delicate. you need to remove the rocker arms assemble first and the manifolds, then undo the head bolts in a certain sequence not to damage the head and the block. i'd let the dealer do it or you might just find a used f22a4 for less than all that work. in ohio they run for 400 with less than 100k miles on them. just an idea

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 02:40 AM   #3
phunkatek
Parked

fawk

ahh well i was gonna say i could use the auto shop at my school but ehh i think i may have underestimated the amount of work for the head just a tad...

Dealer said my car had damage from overheating becasue of the coolant leak from the broken heater hose. What kind of damage to the engine results from overhearting in 5-15 minutes?
I actually had driven back home from school when the hose broke, I heard a hissing/wheezing nosise coming from the engine compartment, checked under the hood and didnt notice anything, only i missed the huge fucking puddle of coolant on the garage floor when I left (hmm probably should have looked a bit closer) but i drove the car all the way back to school not knowing this and found coolant was all over the place in the parking lot when i got out. A week or two before, i had cheked my hoses, and my heater hose actually was already in shit condition then and my dad got this bright idea to add fucking coolant all the way to the top of my reservoir.
Putting two and two together, I think what happened is the pressure in the system caused already shitty heater hose to break making the engine overheat, but how is it that this would cause the head gasket to blow? And what else could have happened to the engine in that say 15mins of time I had driven it?
The dealer told me the most significant problems are the head, head gasket and heater hoses.
phunkatek is offline   Reply With Quote