Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2005, 01:35 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Can well agree on something?

Can all of us at least agree that The Beatles are probably the most overrated band in history? I mean...they didn't suck...but fuck, "Yellow Submarine" isn't about to change my life as some idiots would have you think. Ripping off a bunch of old Chuck Berry chords doesn't make you great. Why aren't people worshipping Chuck Berry like a rock god? Maybe it's just me...but I doubt it.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:51 AM   #2
IALuder

i liked the beatles, but they are not God. i would agree in overrated.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:57 AM   #3
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

nope, dont agree... they arnt the greatestband in history, but the road they helped pave cannot go unlooked. they were very good considering what was before them. you cant find literal meanings in EVERY song. yellow submarine is way out there, but what wasnt in that time period. its just like people now a days trashing the music that lead to what they like now... its all part of the musical progression

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 07:05 AM   #4
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Ahhhh....but does one thing lead to another when you steal someone else's stylings? I'd rather pay homage to Elvis (young Elvis, not fat Elvis) than The Beatles. To me he embodies more of the rebellious spirit of rock. I mean...they didn't have to censor The Beatles on Sullivan. There were tons of rock groups paving the way at the same time as The Beatles...are they all remembered the same way? No. Probably because The Beatles were more popular. But as well all know...popular does not equal better.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 01-16-2005, 07:35 AM   #5
IALuder

i thought yellow submarine was for there movie "yellow submarine."
that movie kicked ass.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
Mischief

gt40 you have alot of hate don't you?

http://mensalmanac.com
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:09 AM   #7
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by GT40FIED
To me he embodies more of the rebellious spirit of rock. I mean...they didn't have to censor The Beatles on Sullivan.

to me that sounds like "text book rebelion" say something your not allowd to on tv, get it censored, get attention. the beatles were these not clean cut english kids with their wackey music and sugestive lyrics. im not saying they were more or less rebellious than elvis, but as far as good music i dont htink you HAVE to be rebellious, just helps sell records.

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:58 AM   #8
Wren57

Quote:
Originally posted by Mischief

Don't get him started... he doesn't "have hate", he just hates everything different from him and his opinions.

That aside, I do think the Beatles are very overrated. I didn't use to think this as I'm not normally bombarded with Beatles paraphanalia (sp?) via radio or anything similar, but 2 months ago I went to Washington DC, and while I was there visited the Museum of American History. They had a section devoted entirely to the Beatles; it was just pictures of the Beatles, and that is it; the section was as large as or larger than the first US flag exhibit and the WWII exhibit. It sickened me. I do gotta pay some respect to them for simply being able to achieve wealth/fame/whatever, even if it was through crappy music...
Old 01-16-2005, 03:07 PM   #9
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by Mischief

I often ask myself that question. I like to think he posts all of these posts just to keep this place thinking.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:07 PM   #10
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice

I often ask myself that question. I like to think he posts all of these posts just to keep this place thinking.

Man...at least someone gets it. And where did I say I hated The Beatles or thought they sucked? I just think they're really overrated. You know what would really suck? If people started having opinions and shit. Man, that would blow.

Old 01-16-2005, 05:20 PM   #11
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

They are overrated...I personally don't get the hype.
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:26 PM   #12
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

we're to young to get the hype. but back in the day they were the #1 band in the country/world with a plethora of #1 hits. I'm not a big fan of the beatles but i respect them,there music,and there mark on rock 'n roll history.
RxGoaT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:04 PM   #13
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander
Don't get him started... he doesn't "have hate", he just hates everything different from him and his opinions.

I'm not even going to get into how philosophically incorrect that statement is.

Old 01-16-2005, 07:33 PM   #14
VR4_Craver
Banned

Quote:
I'm not even going to get into how philosophically incorrect that statement is.

I was waiting for a respone along these lines....Well, that and the ass thrashing you would have let loose
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 08:36 PM   #15
Mischief

Quote:
Man...at least someone gets it. And where did I say I hated The Beatles or thought they sucked? I just think they're really overrated. You know what would really suck? If people started having opinions and shit. Man, that would blow.
I surely hope you're not saying I don't have an opinion and just follow the masses.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:40 PM   #16
Wren57

Of course. If you agree with the majority, you are WRONG, no matter what. If the majority says the sky is blue and you say blue, if Steve thinks it is green, then you are wrong. Duh.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:45 PM   #17
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Of course. If you agree with the majority, you are WRONG, no matter what. If the majority says the sky is blue and you say blue, if Steve thinks it is green, then you are wrong. Duh.

Christ you can be a fucking child sometimes. "Wah, he doesn't agree with me". Boo fucking hoo. Get over it.

Old 01-16-2005, 08:48 PM   #18
Wren57

Haha, no, not really. I don't care if you agree with me or not; my comment was talking to Mischief, but way to go wiggin out for no reason.

And what dumbass says "I think we can all agree that the Beatles suck" and expects people to agree with him. Ha.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:02 PM   #19
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Haha, no, not really. I don't care if you agree with me or not; my comment was talking to Mischief, but way to go wiggin out for no reason.

Don't pull that shit. It's got my name in it, you threw out what was tantamount to an insult, and then played it off like it was nothing. Don't want people calling you on your bullshit? Stop pulling it.

Quote:
And what dumbass says "I think we can all agree that the Beatles suck" and expects people to agree with him. Ha.

Certainly not me. I just said they were overrated. In fact, I specifically stated that they didn't suck. Then you even agreed with me that they were overrated. Now you're asking how anyone could say that? Way to go.

Old 01-16-2005, 09:13 PM   #20
Wren57

I do think they are overrated; what I find stupid is you think everyone will/should agree with you. Just read the title of your thread. 'nuff said.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:23 PM   #21
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

It's kinda funny Wren.. Both of you are more alike then you think. You do the exact same shit, just from a different side of the fence.

Maybe it's not all Steve here.

You both are the kind of people that believe in your own theories and philosophies, and both of you stand firm on those beliefs. Thats the beauty of having an opinion. Even though you can't agree on something doesn't mean that something is right or wrong. An opinion is just that.

Quote:
o·pin·ion Audio pronunciation of "opinion" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-pnyn)
n.

1. A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion” (Elizabeth Drew).
2. A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.
3. A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing: has a low opinion of braggarts.
4. The prevailing view: public opinion.
5. Law. A formal statement by a court or other adjudicative body of the legal reasons and principles for the conclusions of the court.

Please lets try not to make things so serious. Not everything needs to end in a pissing contest.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:30 PM   #22
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
I do think they are overrated; what I find stupid is you think everyone will/should agree with you. Just read the title of your thread. 'nuff said.

Notice that curvy little line with the dot under it at the end of the topic? It's a question mark. The topic is a question. Don't agree? All you've got to do is say "no".

Old 01-16-2005, 09:36 PM   #23
MissJDM

They ARE different yet alike, but I think a huge difference is one can admit he is wrong. The other changes the variable to make him still sound right. No names.

you say it best when you say nothing at all
MissJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:45 PM   #24
Wren57

I've never changed any variable or pulled a John Kerry on any issue. I always stand by my opinions and never yield, unless proven wrong. But, think what you like.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:03 PM   #25
Mischief

Stop the e-penis contest. ty.

http://mensalmanac.com
Old 01-16-2005, 10:08 PM   #26
Wren57

Ha. I'm headin out for the night... hasta manana.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:13 AM   #27
CD5Passion

I have grown up listening to the beatles (blame that on my mom) but I think they are awesome. overhyped? possibly, but I personally like their "expirmental sound".
and the level of respect towards steve continues to rise
Old 01-17-2005, 01:40 AM   #28
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Gosei_Passion
I have grown up listening to the beatles (blame that on my mom) but I think they are awesome. overhyped? possibly, but I personally like their "expirmental sound".
and the level of respect towards steve continues to rise

I know how that goes. I was raised on The Beach Boys, Three Dog Night, CCR (all my dad) and Neil Diamond, Billy Joel, and Peter Paul & Mary (all my mom) and I find myself listening to their songs if their on the radio. As far as the Beatles go...even my mom doesn't get the big deal...and she grew up during it (my dad was 12 years older than my mom so he was a bit old to get caught up in it).

Old 01-17-2005, 02:18 AM   #29
CD5Passion

I got heavily exposed to neil young too:o
aswell as Peter Paul and Mary

I'm 19 and my dad will be 61 soon:o
Old 01-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #30
ShEaNy

i think there one of the greatest bands of all time...overrated...who knows...people loved em..and i love how Gt and high here yet again managed to have another...squabble lol
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote