::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2003, 10:45 AM   #1
civic3x98

Auto -> Manual Conv.

I have a 98 Honda Civic Ex Auto that I want to eventually convert to a Manual. I have heard a few horror stories about these conversions with things breaking and such.

For a conversion like this what is a good brand to go with and what is the cost range for the conversion?
Old 07-18-2003, 10:53 AM   #2
BlackWolf
La Loba Loca

Just go to the junkyard and get everything you need then buy a good clutch assembly and clutch new. This is what I did with my old car. Also, check to see if you have the holes in the firewall to mount the new clutch and brake pedal. You should but for some reason, some cars (manufacturers) don't. THAT's where you'll run into major problems if you don't have the holes already. Other than that, it's just a PITA to do, not hard to do, just a PITA.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:16 AM   #3
civic3x98

Ok lets say I get all the parts and such. Is it wiser to have a pro do the labor, to avoid problems and such. Or s it realistically something me and a few buddies could do?

If I dont have the holes in the firewall, do I have to make them... or?
Old 07-18-2003, 11:18 AM   #4
sohc_vtec 2NR

i'd say have somebody do it for you...unless of course you are mechanically inclined either way you better bust out the wallet
Old 07-18-2003, 11:24 AM   #5
BlackWolf
La Loba Loca

It is something you can do with your buds if at least one of you is mechanically inclined. You'll have problems with having to reinforce the firewall if you do have to drill the holes. If you'd rather not work on this yourself, you can have a pro do it but it's going to be very expensive because of the time involved. It's more labor $$ than parts $$.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:02 PM   #6
civic3x98

Well I like the junk yard idea. But I also have a wholesale permit to buy w/o tax so I am going to try and find some parts that way too. Umm I am not real formilure with all the parts involved with the clutch, there a web site that tells them all?

Again thanks for yalls help
Old 07-18-2003, 12:21 PM   #7
BlackWolf
La Loba Loca

Not really. The only one I can think of would to get a manual book for you car like a Helms or Chiltons or something. Helms is the best for any kind of repair work but can be $$. That's similar to what the dealerships have. Hey, you could have the dealer copy some pages out of the book for you for free.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:18 AM   #8
civic3x98

After some chit chat with my father and resell issues I have decided not to do the transmission swap. Going to get the body kit instead, then underbody lights, then some interior mods. Thanks for the advice though. Helped
Old 07-19-2003, 08:32 AM   #9
thermal
Banning Machine

In my opinion, it's only worth getting the conversion if you have dropped a lot of money on your car already. That is such a pain in the butt to do. I have never done it but observed professionals do it. It seemed very time consuming and there's a lot of precission work. To be honest, if I'm in that situation and made up my mind about a manual transmission, I would rather just trade the whole car in or just get another one. I dont mind having a daliy driven auto tranny.......IMO

I think that you are making a reasonable decision not to do it.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote