::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2002, 05:17 PM   #1
tim haas

clutch questions and trans. repair-5spd questions

Hey all, i'm in search of putting new clutch in my car, not me but getting one installed...few ?'s. i have a 97 honda civ dx coupe, and just wanna get something better than factory cuz mine makes noise, aka squeaks, and has like 113k on it. Anywho, a trans. place is gonna have to put it in , and was wondering how much you think they'll charge. I'll ask mon, but any guesses? and im a nut on my clutch and trans, so should i, if i have the $ now, and my car's trans is pinging or something should i replace that too? will it be beneficial to do it while i do the clutch? SOrry im stupid, heh. Umm, and when i shift into 2nd gear, sometimes i get a grinding sound...new trans or should i just get the 2nd gear synchro. or whateva fixed? thanks, and please answer these ?'s

Is this a good deal here? and is the clutch release bearing the same as a throwout bearing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1874040636

Thanks so much
Old 12-07-2002, 05:49 PM   #2
iRACEmyCTR

get a whole new tranny because the dx tranny is the worst tranny ive ever been near. the grinding could be the synchros or even just you grinding a gear? who knows... $5000 aint too much to sell, i got my 96 dx with 120k for $4900 and they were advertising $5200
Old 12-07-2002, 07:03 PM   #3
tim haas

hey, what kinda tranny should i go with? and how much does it run normally, and how much for the install? Also, don't you need to drop the entire engine?
Old 12-08-2002, 01:26 AM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

the deal is good, and the labor will be about 250-300. if u wanna sell the car don't bother about getting it a new tranny, or a performance clutch.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 02:29 PM   #5
tim haas

hey

but how can i sell it for a good price if people test drive it and feel like second gear grinding? uh i dunno, and the clutch squeeks...i want at least 3500 for the car, but really would like what i paid for it. $4200
Old 12-12-2002, 05:29 PM   #6
tim haas

help

help^
Old 12-17-2002, 08:51 PM   #7
NaptownCivic04

Hey sorry o interrupt but how easy is it to install a sort shifter?
Old 12-26-2002, 09:47 AM   #8
bent_remy

Quote:
Originally posted by iRACEmyCTR
get a whole new tranny because the dx tranny is the worst tranny ive ever been near. the grinding could be the synchros or even just you grinding a gear? who knows... $5000 aint too much to sell, i got my 96 dx with 120k for $4900 and they were advertising $5200

I have to agree. Next to the civic hx (auto) the dx has the worst tranny I've ever seen. I blew to dx trannies ( one with a clutchmaster stage 2 clutch) before I did my si swap. I'd go with si tranny. You can probally pick one up for $350-$500 at thej-yard. If your gonna sell the car though then jsut throw a cheap ass clutch or sell it as is to some one who gonna swap out the engine.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:53 AM   #9
bent_remy

O yeah. Its also gonna be good to do them at the same time so you won't be charged to install the clutch. It cost me $250 to get my tranny dropped in. If you have enough cake you may wanna get a lightened flywheel while your shopping.