View Single Post
Old 12-03-2002, 02:03 PM   #5
blind34_1

Okay, let me see if I can answer some of these questions.

First, you need to decide what you are doing this for. If you want altezzas and intakes and whatnot just to be like everyone else, and not care about peformance, then things are easy for you. Everything you need to buy will be made by APC, which is cheap garbage that a lot of people (commonly referred to as ricers) slap on there car and think it makes em go fast and look cool. Whatever.

So you need to decide if you want to be laughed at by real racers, and to just blend into the ricer crowd, OR if you want to have a respectable car. (Everyone else: don't start a big debate over whats rice and opinions and crap. This issue has been driven into the ground. You all know what I'm talking about.)

You can go either way.

That said, let me start with altezzas.

Altezzas are also referred to as euro tails, and some call them clears. To clear this up as best I can:

Altezzas: Came from the Toyota Altezza, which are tail light housings that are mostly clear, except for red circles where tail bulbs go. These are DOT approved and come standard on some luxury vehicles. Lexus SUVs, etc.

Euros: same things basically, but some are designed differently.

Clears: These have no red in them at all. Completly clear, which is why you must buy red bulbs to use. These are not street legal, and cops will get you on it.

Relatively easy to install, and often is the first cosmetic mod people make. Some call this ricey, but really its up to you.

Air Intakes: These are used to replace your factory air intake. When you step on the gas pedal, that opens the butterfly in the throttle body. This sucks in air, and gives you what you need to make fuel combust properly. Stock intakes are made out of black plastic and house a sqaure filter. (in a nutshell)

The intake you are talking about getting is the aftermarket equivelant of the same thing. Often it is just a polished aluminum tube, bent specifically for a certain make of car. One end goes to your throttle body, the other is stuck into a different kind of air filter, usually a conical shaped one. There are also a few hoses that need to be hooked up, and this is explained in the directions you receive.

Intakes provide much more potential air flow, thus increasing horsepower a little bit. It also provides a deep throaty sound. Intkaes are often the first step in modifying a car on a budget.

There are two major types (there are more, but these are the biggest):

Cold Air Intake or CAI: This is considered to be the best and is also the most expensive. This is an intake with extra tubing designed to go down to your wheel wheel and suck cold air from there. Often it is a good idea to buy a air bypass valve, to insure that water does not go where it shouldn't. AEM is considered the top brand, While Injen and Iceman are also good choices. Expect to pay between 200 and 250.

Short Ram intake: This simply lacks the extra wheel well tubing. And the filter sits right in the engine bay. This doesn't have the same horsepower gain, as it is sucking warmer air. K&N has a typhoon line of short rams that is very good. Expect to pay anywhere from 100 to 180 dollars. (APC Intimidator is what you'll want if you want to go the cheapy high schooler ricer route.)

Be aware that people claim that their intake gave them 15 extra horsepower! Thats what the magazine says. Wrong. On on unmodified engine there is a very small performance gain, probably no more than a few horsepower. When you begin doing other things to your car, you will notice a larger difference.

New Exhaust Systems:
I wont go into depth here because there so many things you can do. Doing a new exhaust system is the most expensive performance mod, aside from an engine swap, turbocharging, etc. A freer flowing exhaust will give you a performace gain and a louder sound, depening on what you go with. The main components are:

Headers: This is the peice that bolts up to your engines exhuast ports, and reduces them into one pipe (sometimes 2). Despite what people say, a four cylinder engine has only ONE HEADER. DC Sports is considered very good. Expect to pay anywhere between 300 and 500.

Downpipe: goes from the header to...

Catalytic Converter or Cat: This is an emission controlling device. It is a federal crime to take these off, apparently. However you can buy a freer flowing one. Check your emission requirements, especially if you live in Cali. hi flow cats go for 100 to 200dollars.

More piping back to your...

Muffler: You need this or you will be excessively loud. There are many good brands. Flowmaster, Borla are good brands.

Exhaust tip: goes from muffler to out the back of your car. You only need one as big as the rest of your piping. a four inch exhaust tip is not necessary. be discreet. If you wanna be a ricer, make sure that a softball will fit inside it.

For a whole exhaust system, just parts, you could pay anywhere from 600 to 800+ dollars. It all depends on what you buy, and you DO get what you pay for. Pacesetter sells exhusts for very cheap, but I've heard nothing but trouble from them.

As for your last question, should you do it yourself? YES. There is nothing I hate more than seeing someone pay a mechanic to modify their car. There are certain things that you just need a mechanics expertise and equipment on, like maybe an engine swap. But DO NOT go to him and say I want you to install my air intake. Don't be afraid to get dirty, and learn about what you are doing.

Invest in a good set of craftsmen tools. Metric and SAE. You will use them. You need screwdrivers. good ones. many of them because you will lose them.

Garage space is always handy, but not required.
Buy the chiltons and/or haynes manual to your car. It will prove useful.

Lastly, stay on sites like this and READ. ASK QUESTIONS. When I came here I didn't know jack about cars either. Now I know quite a bit. I'm still learning, just as you will. Don't give up.

Wow this was long. I hope this can give you some insight on what you want to do. My opinion: Don't skimp, don't be a ricer!
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote