View Single Post
Old 09-22-2001, 06:10 PM   #30
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe
No, that's fine, HXMan. Teach me, please. First of all, given your assertion that "if you get air in, you have to get air out", how can a turbo header possibly work???

Turbo "headers" are not designed with the idea of being an efficent means of exhaust gas removal. The idea is for them to direct the exhaust gases to the turbo, in turn spooling up the turbo.

Quote:
...OE Honda exhaust manifolds are a well-engineered compromise between four-tube and Tri-Y headers, which is why MANY CiViC builders 'feel' little or NO difference when after header is installed... Sure, aftermarket headers offer the APPEARANCE and TONE of performance, but they won't deliver the massive HP gains ppl expect or what the manufacturers advertise...

Its exactly that a compromise. The idea with aftermarket headers is get one that will closer match the needs of the driver. DC Sports, Kamikaze, and others use "generic"(no I'm not knocking their quality) diameters and tube sizes. The best way in my opinion is have the headers customer tuned/made for your particular application. That will help with the velocity more so than off the shelf versions. But realistically most of us can't afford custom headers. Places like Kooks can custom make headers for about any application. I'm sure there are others, I just haven't looked all that hard for them.