View Single Post
Old 09-16-2001, 08:27 PM   #21
HXMan

Function over form. I am more of the sleeper type...if a header looks good or not doesn't really matter to me, what matters is performance and price. Oh, and that JDM header looks much better then what the b16 has stock.

5-8 hp maybe true....but when we are talking about the "larger view" exhuast restriction and exhuast tuning is VERY important. I am not trying to sound like I am trying to teach you something, but we have to think an engine as a system. If we increase air intake with higher lift and duration cams, larger TB, P&P head, and increase fuel flow, we need a more efficient way to get that stuff out. A good tuned header will perform this function...a good header should "tune" the exhuast pulses, creating negative pressure, and thus scavenging the cylinder.

Like I said if you get air in, you have to get air out. If you have ever seen a stock USDM Si header you would definitly want to replace it. It isn't really a header, it is more like what people would call an exhuast manifold.

Quote:
The OEM header works fine. Exhaust restriction isn't all that important in the larger view anyway. Intake restriction is what kills power the most. That why they put butterfly valves on the throttle body instead of the exhaust manifold.

I am kinda wondering what you are talking about here???

Quote:
Well, they say 5-8 HP gain with a Honda OEM JDM header. Personally, I don't get it. Maybe someone can fill me in on what I'm missing here.

Now are you saying this is a low figure, or it just shows that the JDM header is not worth it?

I don't want to get argumenative, but to me, what you posted sounded that way.